Grug
Years ago

Are the 36ers the least successful team for 7 years?

I could be wrong. But by my calculations, the 36ers are the only team that havn't finished in the Top 4 in the last 7 years.

It does go to show though how loyal our fans are. Still average close to the best crowds in the league after such a long time of no success.

Topic #27509 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Of the current teams, I think you're correct. Kings and Tigers were in the mix not too far back. Hawks in a grand final within the last 2-3 years. Breakers and Cats have obviously won recent championships. Cairns in the GF last year, Crocs finished third I think. Blaze would've made the play-offs at some point.

Reply #349957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grug, check your facts champ.... Last seven seasons record has Adelaide finishing 4th twice....

Adel

04/05 - 4th
05/06 - 4th
06/07 - 11th
07/08 - 9th
08/09 - 6th
09/10 - 8th
10/11 - 8th

Reply #349960 | Report this post

Grug  
Years ago

Including Finals anon and I was including this year.

We didnt make it to the Semi Finals in either of those years though.

05/06 we got knocked out by Cairns in the Quarter Finals

04/05 we got knocked out by Brisbane in the Quarters.

Reply #349964 | Report this post

Grug  
Years ago

and if you don't want to include Finals. Then we are the only team in the last 6 seasons (including this one).

Reply #349966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On track for a second wooden spoon in three seasons too.

Reply #349969 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Grug, your point certainly brings to light why the local fans are so frustrated. Despite the fact that Marty and the current team are copping the brunt of the abuse, perhaps the frustration has been compounding over these past 6/7 seasons and until success is brought forward this trend will continue.

Reply #349985 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Grug, your point certainly brings to light why the local fans are so frustrated. Despite the fact that Marty and the current team are copping the brunt of the abuse, perhaps the frustration has been compounding over these past 6/7 seasons and until success is brought forward this trend will continue.

Reply #349986 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

See Grug, it's only the last six years.
Phew....

Reply #349988 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Adelaide this season is the only NBL team not to move above 8th on the ladder. Since we landed in the bomb shelter after the hiding from the Wildcats in Rd.1 we have been either 9th or at best 8th.

But yeah I'd say we're the least successful NBL team over the last 7 seasons.

Reply #349995 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Ok 6 years, apologies for talking to someone else and not reading properly lol

Reply #349996 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

Dazzman you make a great point that yes although the last couple have not been good lets not forget during that time the club was sold and had to start again. Yes the last couple of years are sad but it is an accumulation of a lot longer.

Then the initial SOS group that was 8 or 9 I think had members walking out leaving it to a few to do.

Sometimes we complain about our season ticket but forget the guys we are expecting to foot all the bills have lost half the group which means I assume they need to pay twice as much.

Losing sucks and I hate it, even the way we lose but there is so much more to consider and yes we get great crowds despite some poor performances but I hope we can all stick by them.

It will be so worth it when things are good again

Reply #350007 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW - results for the current 9 NBL teams, across the 6 seasons before this one

% games Ave. Finals Seasons
Team won pos. Series GF Champs played

Tigers 62% 3.5 4 4 2 6
Wildcats 59% 3.8 6 1 1 6
Kings 58% 5.0 2 1 - 3
Crocs 52% 5.0 5 - - 6
Breakers 50% 5.8 3 1 1 6
Taipans 49% 5.8 4 1 - 6
Blaze 45% 7.0 2 - - 4
Hawks 44% 6.2 2 1 - 6
36ers 43% 7.7 2 - - 6

Average position is based on end of regular season ladder position.

Make of these results what you will but they tend to support Grug's view. Although Blaze are ranked similarly to 36ers on each measure, making finals in 2 of 4 seasons puts them ahead of the 36ers' 2 of 6.

But I like the all time stats better. The 36ers' have a 57% all time win percentage in the regular season, second to the Wildcats' 58% (among active teams).

Reply #350018 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^ the formatting above went haywire after I posted it. The 6 columns of team data are:

% games won in regular season
Average ladder position at the end of regular season
# years made finals
Grand finals played
Championships won
Seasons played

Reply #350019 | Report this post

Adel  
Years ago

Hey i reckon is exciting to watch the battle at the bottom of the ladder. It is closer than the top 2 places.
Just goes to show the excitement. Maybe they are getting a full house as people have already brought tickets and due to been broke buying the season ticket they are turning up anyway because money has already been out laid. Next season would be interesting.
And the Indians are only as good as upper management. Good players can only do as told. Maybe if it was a coachless team they probably will win
Good on ya coach for giving me the excitement of the battle between last and 2nd to last. Have not been so disgusted in a lack lustre performance
Good thread

Reply #350033 | Report this post

Tweet Tweet  
Years ago

Here's the key stat as far as I’m concerned :

The last time the Sixers won a Finals series : 2002
The last time the Sixers won a Finals game : 2003

Unless things turn around quickly next year, we’re looking at 10 years of nothing in terms of the Finals.

Reply #350045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy 10 year anniversary.

Reply #350046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that Clarke and Radford are safe for their 3rd year.

Reply #350522 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Hahahaha.

Reply #350601 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754