hoopie
Years ago

Which Gaels will make the NBA?

I reckon that
- Delly will end up in Europe or the NBL but not the NBA
- Holt will make the NBA as a bench player somewhere
- Rob Jones might get a trial with an NBA team but will end up in Europe as well
- Steindl might be lucky to make it in Europe
- Waldow will go to the NBA at the end of college

Comments?

Topic #27552 | Report this topic

Average OKKA  
Years ago

None

Reply #350698 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

None

Reply #350699 | Report this post

BobbyC  
Years ago

None

Reply #350702 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

NONE!
Delly will end up in NBL
Stiendl NBL for 1 season then QBL after everyone relises he is to 1 dimensional!
Holt - Europe somewhere
Jones - Europe (Maybe NBL given how well Diamon is goign)

Reply #350703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Young might be an NBL playes, but could easily play SEABL.

Steindl is a fringe NBL player.

Page could be anything - but probably enough to be an NBL player. He's on a par with Jason Cadee IMO.

The sleeper is the red-shirted Hodgson from QLD. Could be really good. Left handed 7ft wingspan, shoots it OK.

Delly will be a pro in Europe for 15 years. He might even have a stint on an NBA roster somewhere along the line, but he's easily a European prospect.

Reply #350705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None

Reply #350708 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

The whole idea why we love the Gaels, despite their lack of NBA talent they seem to overachieve.

According to ppl's oppinions on their own board the ability to get a top 150 high school player is a big deal. So you have to give them credit they are making some strides. Their recruitment from Oz has paid dividends for them now as they are attracting better local recruits.

As for who will make the NBA. Every year Delly has improved he has one more year in college after this to get better. I think he could get on an NBA roster. His passing and decision making is NBA. Excellent at running the pick and roll.

Rob Jones has a decent chance to make it onto a NBA roster as well. Averages a double double and is big and strong. Probably needs to improve his three point shooting a bit.

Both at a minimum have significant careers in Europe. Rob Jones might switch to the NFL since according to many he would be a perfect Tight End.

Reply #350709 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly and Jones have the best chance of the NBA IMO from the current Gael's.

This from ESPN today...

Four players you may not have heard of ... yet

1. Isaiah Canaan, Murray State...
2. Damian Lillard, Weber State...
3. Joe Ragland, Wichita State...
4. Matthew Dellavedova, Saint Mary's: By the time his career is finished, Dellavedova may hold the NCAA record for minutes played. The junior has averaged 35 or more minutes in each of his three seasons. This season the Australian is scoring 15.7 points per game while dishing out 6.4 assists.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7573678/counting-days-ncaa-tournament-begins-men-college-basketball

Time will tell, but will NBA GM's want to pass on someone like Delly as they did with Jeremy Lin? A big WCC tourney and a follow up in the NCAA tourney could also help his cause.

Reply #350717 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I think some of the posts in this thread are pretty unreasonable. I mean there are some good NBL players who had average college careers.

I'd back Mitchell Young to have a great NBL career. Has excellent touch with his back to the basket and has improved his free throw shooting a lot.

Clint Steindl is probably a no worse prospect than Darren Ng. He has height and good defence to bring to the table as well. His main issue is confidence.

I think a lot of people fear the Ben Allen type example but really Allen was effective because he was allowed to play his role within a system at the Gaels. At 6'9-6'10 Mitchell Young is more you conventional post player with better rebounding and touch around the basket.

Reply #350721 | Report this post

SarahGC  
Years ago

If Waldow can make a big impact like Samhan did, he could play in Europe.

Steindl limited minutes in the NBL probably for a QLD team.

Young for QBL that's it. Needs to work on his confidence and change it up. The hook shot is predictable

Holt somewhere in Europe if lucky

Delly definitely to play in Europe. Hey don't forget to vote for him for the Bob Cousy award.

Reply #350724 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

If the Gaels can get Paul McCoy's to come good next season after knee setbacks they'll be laughing. He's the one player who showed NBA talent while at the SMU Mustangs.

Reply #350727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just think... their best player in a long time, Patty Mills, had a short NBA career!

Reply #350733 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A lot of talk around the traps is that Delly is being talked about as a more rounded player than their best two most recent PG's in Patty Mills and Mickey McConnell.

Reply #350737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have thought a NBL team would have looked at Samhan as a centre given how well he played in college. He would have been a good fit at the blaze.

Dellavedova is a better passer and defender than Patty but lacks the scoring and athletic ability of Patty. I reckon he most likely will end up in Europe.

Reply #350755 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

So what happened to Samhan after he left? Didn't seem to play much in Europe

Reply #350757 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I reckon Samhan will play in Australia one day especially after his good mate Diamon is doing so well.

Reply #350759 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Played in Lithuania. Didn't really excell there and I think he's either playing in or on his way to Phillipines.

His problem was always athleticism and quickness preventing him getting into the NBA.

I think he would do well in the NBL.

Reply #350760 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I reckon it would be smart for an NBL team to befriend the SMC program as much as possible. Get first crack at getting the Aussie kids into their team, and also have a good shot at landing their Americans as imports. After Diamon's success, you'd have to say Samham and McConnell would be great NBL imports. Rob Jones would be too.

Reply #350798 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Rob Jones in 6-6, which is probably too small for an NBA power foward.

Delevadova might have a shot if he
a)makes the Olympics and plays well
b)has a huge senior year

Stiendl and Young will come back to the NBL along with Page in a few years.

Holt could play in europe but defiantly not the NBA.

Brad Waldow has been playing well in recent games:
-17pts 10rb vs Gonzaga
-19pts 8rb @ BYU
-12pts 3rb vs Baylor
In 4 years who knows how good he could be..

Reply #350800 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Vart, you're on the money there.

It's so sensible you'd think BA would have already thought of it, tho.

Reply #350803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754