Anonymous
Years ago

BA kicking in funds for Jackson

I know this was revealed a while ago, but is it fair that BA are chipping in funds for Lauren Jackson to play at Canberra?

I think it will be great to have her back in the league. But I can't help but wonder what the other clubs are thinking about it. Surely they're not too happy.

Thoughts?

Topic #27563 | Report this topic

Dinga  
Years ago

I'm sure the other clubs wont mind when Canberra rolls into town and gate sales go through the roof.

Reply #350827 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Since you know the in's and out's of the Jackson contract, how much is BA chuck in???

Reply #350834 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

sorry... chucking in..

and by BA I'm guessing you mean Basketball Australia.

Reply #350835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know the exact amount, just that they are contributing. And for the record, I never said I knew the in's and out's of her contract.

BA=Basketball Australia.

It's all well and good to say teams will get ticket sales with her playing, but that's once possibly twice a year.

Don't get me wrong, BA (Basketball Australia) should be contributing to get the best players here. It will be great for the Caps and the league. But where is the contribution to the other teams to be able to lure the better players?

Reply #350839 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

No worries, just like to know how and why BA has chipped in. Also wondering where I can find the information.

Reply #350841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA chipped in previously for four Opals to remain in Australia and play in the WNBL instead of going overseas.

As BA is basically the WNBL its a very dubious decision IMO

Reply #350843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The money would probably be taxpayer money, not commercial money from a sponsor. Like an AIS scholarship.

Reply #350854 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Interesting.....

almost intriguing....

Reply #350856 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If it puts the best team on the court for a shot at gold, I'm all for it.

Reply #350860 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

laughing at what TR knows and what i know TR knows

Reply #350862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they should do the same for Bogut LOL

Reply #350879 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Oh man........

Reply #350880 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

This is the most recent article from the Canberra Times. BA amount is undisclosed but I believe that some Canberra businesses are involved which I think was what happened previously.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/jacksons-impact-will-extend-far-beyond-capitals-keneally-20120209-1t981.html

I think you will find that not too many clubs will complain as this is a positive for basketball in Australia to have Lauren playing in the WNBL. Her presence previously encouraged a lot more fans to games when she played. I understand that Lauren will also be involved in a great deal of promotion of basketball in Australia and not just in Canberra.

Reply #350885 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There are a lot more things to a contract than just $$$$.

Reply #350888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if it's true but I heard LJ will be on $300K+

Reply #350903 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Wouldn't $330K make her the highest paid basketballer (oficially) in Australia, man or woman?

Reply #350907 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Care to help me out BJF... The kids are killing me...

Reply #350913 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Jackson has a 5 year contract worth 1 million dollars. Of those 5 seasons she only has to play 3 seasons.

Reply #350919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

discussed here - has links to articles etc

http://www.ozhoopsboards.com/showthread.php?t=6817

Reply #350928 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Hmmm - well --- seems like the lightning has just this one opportunity this season to win it all, before Canberra take the next 3 or so .

Reply #350929 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Next season, season off and then the next two seasons.

Reply #350930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is an argument to suggest that the AIS basketball programs scrap their junior development objectives and the focus shifts to providing an elite training environment for players during their off-seasons when they come home and play for the senior Men's/Women's National teams - the players would be payed.

They would benefit from the use of the facilities/medical expertise and training environment under the direction of national team coaches. Only problem is, it's Canberra.

So you could get 10 of them as the athletes in residence during the Australian winter. It's done with other sports (Volleyball where most of the Aussies play in Europe and come home in the European summer).

Reply #350942 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

$330,000 . Yeah - gotta be the highest paid Basketballer in Australia.
Whew . . So ,
I went off , my fists in my torn pockets . My only pair of trousers had a big hole. Like a lyre , I plucked the elastics of my wounded shoes.

Reply #350943 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

If BA are paying that sort of money to keep a "legend" playing in Australia, wouldn't it be fair for the other WNBL teams to expect some compensation to retain/recruit players to compete with Lauren?
Where does it start or stop?
Perhaps 'rotate' her around to clubs to try and create a level playing field? (Never happen)
What would her presence & experience do for the AIS girls?

Reply #350958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another example of how behind the 'now' BA is. Not going to help one bit.

Reply #350964 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/TR1976/Wtfgif-9.gif[/IMG]

Reply #350981 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Photobucket

Reply #350982 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just like Tom Thumb's blues.

Reply #350983 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

BA was on the up 10 years ago but now they are dead and buried. They just don't realise it yet. No direction going forward. No real stars with exciting personality and pozaz. Full of jobs and opportunities for who you know not what you know. Cancer is set in! Where's the doctor.

Reply #351091 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754