Bball Fan
Years ago

NBL Refereeing..........RUBBISH!

Just got home from the Blaze V Crocs game. In my years of playing/watching basketball, I have never seen the NBL referee's at such a low level. Some of the calls were just an absolute joke. The standard needs to lift asap!

On another note, it was good to get a decent crowd to the Brisbane entertainment centre. Hopefully the Bullets will be back soon!!

Topic #27584 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its funny you say that, sometimes when I watch NBL I feel that the ref's think we are there to see them... they get this "god like" attitude, and bully the players....we want to see big scores, great blocks etc...let a few of the small travels go and actually let players do a spin move, refs seem to think a spin move is a travel. Let the boys play

Reply #351229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Brisbane, talk is Blaze will be splitting games in two cities from next year. South Queensland Blaze? I suspect they will have to spend lots of time with grassroots in both cities for that to work.

Reply #351232 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

They like being on TV and like flopping.
Does Gibson get paid for that game . Easy way to earn a quid . Think i'll come outta retirement.

Reply #351235 | Report this post

fletch  
Years ago

na there were some really bad calls in that game. I go for blaze but there were some bad calls both ways. Reffing has to become professional. These refs just seem amateur. The NBL will never be thought of as a professional league without professional officiating.

Reply #351236 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Once again the Blaze were out of control in that game. When I read the original post I thought it might be worth watching. What I saw was a Blaze side that spent too much of the last week on the ?grog and not ready to play tonight.

I can't believe the Blaze players tried to critique the refs during that game. Adam Gibson needs a warning the first time he opens his mouth for the night and a followed up Tech quick smart after that. He has lost his game, blames everyone else for it and will probably never be the player everyone destined him to be (Well done Marty for not bringing that little stuck up shit to Adelaide).

So after half time I just stayed up waiting to see the game get out of control due to the Blaze's lack of discipline. Instead I waited up for nothing.

Reply #351238 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I didn't think they did a bad job. If anything, the ilk of Wortho, Gibbo and PC all did very well not to earn a few techs when they were having their usual whinges.

Reply #351239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only real stand out bad calls for me were the refs falling for Deleons flops, two on one fast break to the crocs and deleon and pc rubbing shoulders, next minute deleon is flying through the air like ian thorpe off the blocks. Get up and play some d you poser!

Reply #351244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for that play, there was absolutely no way Deleon could stop that basket. Two bigger players on a break away drive. There was some contact and he went with it and got the call. Really a smart play. I hate flopping but the players are gonna play to the refs. if a ref doesnt know what a foul looks like they will play to that.

Reply #351247 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

National Flopping League

Reply #351249 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Out of retirement? What was your stage name Camel?

Bit harsh on Gibbo after 1 bad game. He's form has been pretty good!

Reply #351256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson was sick all week. I thought that was one of the best reffed games in the past month.

Reply #351261 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sometimes when I watch NBL I feel that the ref's think we are there to see them... they get this "god like" attitude, and bully the players....
Holy crap do I hate that "the refs think we're there to watch them" trash from fans. They're there to call the game according to the rules of the sport and direction from the league. They're making snap judgements every second. Every coach, player and fan will think they've been wronged at some point.

"Bully" the players? You've got to be kidding me. Coaches cop techs, ejections, players swear in reaction, etc - the refs keep their cool at all times, yet they're the bullies because they've been told to watch for questionable spin moves?

One fan will yell "Let the big men play" as they wrestle in the paint. Another will decry hooking or dodgy tactics from Redhage, etc. Can't win.

Reply #351264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think the NBL ref are rubbish. Fair enough.

Now, what are you going to do about it?

Reply #351265 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think some leagues and sports have reacted to flopping. Maybe give a tech to an obvious flop.
Just curious to watch Gibbo , this game . Clarke wasn't interested in Bruce and Carter and chased Gibson . He looked crook. Not sure how many he finished with , in the end. Didn't look like scoring.
They shoulda caught me in my prime. I reckon I mighta got 4points , last nite.

Reply #351266 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw , and each to his own . Some would've sat Mims and played Blanchield more. Thought Holmes's first quarter was great and Townsville guards played good.
Some are big fans of Garlepp.

Reply #351267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garlepp is a solid player, he should never receive the ball in the low post though. His job should be to set screens and crash the offensive glass. He can occasionally step out to reverse the ball if he behaves himself too.

Reply #351268 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

The reffing in the Breakers vs Hawks game last week was err....interesting

Reply #351283 | Report this post

Green  
Years ago

Kind off agree with Isaac here.

Plus you cant blame the actual ref's for their poor and inconsistant education.

If you want to have a go at someone, look no further than the evaluators.

Reply #351285 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

agree Cell, some terrible calls in the Breakers Vs Hawks games, this week and last week

Reply #351287 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

Anon.....what can us normal people do about it??

Reply #351304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must agree that they are terrible. Some of the calls I have seen this seen have been...well awful. Sometimes its like they don't know the rules tbh.

Reply #351308 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Lucky we getta replay , so we can try work out what the call was about. Some sports have replays.
Tennis does it pretty good . Ya can challange a couple , now and agen , not tooo many.

Reply #351309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL in general - RUBBISH!

Reply #351311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What can we do about it? Short of quitting your job, training to become a referee, working your way up through the junior and senior ranks and gaining a reputation for your impeccable judgement and perfectly consistent management of a game. Then, after an illustrious career, running referee clinics to pass on all your hard earned knowledge to the next generation of whistle blowers so that you can sit and enjoy high quality ball games in your retirement?

Well, nothing much I guess but (1) moan about it or (2) accept that "bad" calls probably all balance out in the long run and be thankful that 1 howler of a call doesn't often decide a game like in Soccer.

But, we'll all probably all choose option 1 right?
I know I do most of the time. It's more fun.

Reply #351357 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Number 2 for me.

Is part of the problem the commentators dwelling on calls? In the Hawks-Breakers game, we had Brendan going on about the merits of NBA "rules" allowing spectacular plays. Those are different rules in a different league.

How many times have you heard Carfino disagree with a call quite vocally?

Reply #351379 | Report this post

not as it seems  
Years ago

Isaac the comentators are a big part of the problem and so is Boti Nagy.

Half the time Andrew Gaze comments on calls and then laughs at himself because he watches the replay and see's how wrong he was

In the NBA they focus on talking about the game itself and if they do comment on the officiating then it's generaly in a positive manner

Same thing with a Technical Foul - in the Nba if a Tech is called then they just comment that the official whistled a Technical on Lebron and get on with it.

In the Nbl they make a big deal about the fact the official should somehow not call the Tech and let the players decide the outcome?

Even though the player has sworn at the ref or pointed aggresivly towards the official

Reply #351384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the One commentators are overly negative towards the refs. They call it as fans who hate seeing little ticky tack fouls called that have zero influence on the game.

In saying that I can't stand ref bashing in general it goes on in every sport with all homer fans "the refs cost my team the game". It's childish bullshit, they're human like the rest of us.

Reply #351387 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For every complaint about those "little ticky tack" fouls, there will be another about people bumping cutters, hooking in the post, etc. (See the recent article about Robilliard accusing the Cats of "cheating".)

It'd be incredibly hard to walk that line between letting the game flow and discouraging teams pushing boundaries.

Reply #351392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets not talk about Carfino's apalling lack of rule knowledge.

use the example on here when time was called for Simpsons cramp/injury how many on here were the ball was clearly on the half court line it cost Townsville a fast break offence.

How many had to re watch the replay an number of times to work out what where the ball was at.

Accept that as players and coaches will make a mistake so occassionally, but not as many as you think, referees will make an error. Got to face facts though most fans only see the call through their own teams eyes so therefore will always have a bias slant on what they think hurts there team.

Reply #351397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qutting your job? Do you not understand that referees all have full time jobs on top of refereeing commitments?

Reply #351399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My pet hate with the One commentators is that basically they don't know the rules. The prime example all year has been the no charge zone whether they discuss his feet on the line etc so he is in the no charge zone so it should be a no call etc if you don't know the rule your commentating on look it up or frisking ask the league for a direction on it!! But we are at Round 20 and they keep bleating on about rules they have no clue about.

Reply #351413 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

I think the commentators in New Zealand try to refrain from criticizing the referees but honestly some of the calls made are just so bad they cant help themselves (example foul on Vukona last week vs Hawks).

Yes the NBA and college commentators dont mention referees as much as our commentators but their refs dont seem to make quite so many bad calls...

Reply #351449 | Report this post

A QBL ref  
Years ago

As a ref when I watch any form of sport from basketball to AFL I critique the officials on the game. The NBL refs do an amazing job compared to some club officials I see weeknights at my home association. Be thankful these high quality refs are assigned to the NBL - I hope to one day be a part of the crew that officiates the NBL.

Reply #381977 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Thought the refs were good in both games tonight, patient with their whistles on body contact, few bailouts, but quick on calling the reaching.

Reply #381980 | Report this post

A QBL ref  
Years ago

Watching the hawks kings game on one now - they call hands early to stop turnovers but the game has started to get ugly late in the 3rd. The commentators are just as bad this year. They don't comprehend that you can jump stop on a spin move and they have it completely wrong.

Reply #381981 | Report this post

Gyntal  
Years ago

Nbl is a joke. You think it will become a ligit league you are pissing in the wind.

Reply #443746 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754