Johnny
Years ago

Salaries of NBL and SEABL players

A few of you guys seem in the know. Just wondering if you know the kind of cash the NBL and SEABL players are on. Like a rough guide of NBL imports, average, young guys, and the same with SEABL/ABA guys.

Cheers

Topic #27600 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Been covered many times. Google around with variations of this search:

nbl salaries site:hoops.com.au

Also, in the future, please try a topic title that's a bit more helpful than "$$". Thanks.

Reply #351451 | Report this post

brattymm  
Years ago

NBL salarys are roughly like this;
Imports- $200K for stars (league MVP candidates) down to $100K for role players(consistent scorers and rebounders).
Boomers- $100-$150K depending on team funds and combinations.
Starters- $65-$75K
Bench- $55-$65K
Devleopment players- Minimum wage to $30K, usually on a sliding scale related to minutes and stats.

SEABL and ABA guys usually get paid per game (up to $500/game for stars) in addition to a minimum wage that relates to club duties like coaching and school visits.

Reply #351453 | Report this post

brattymm  
Years ago

The best job in the NBL is Referee. $500/game regular season. $1000/game for finals if you get requested.

Reply #351456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doubt any imports are getting close to $200k this year. In past seasons, Homicide and Penney I think it was had "registered" (e.g., above board component only...) contracts of around $200-220k, but neither are in the league right now and Homicide could not command that price in the NBL again (his big deal was at the Crocs, multiple seasons ago).

Many imports will be cheaper in their earlier seasons. e.g., Ervin was an MVP on probably under $100k. Would've taken $50k on top of that to keep him, I suspect.

Reply #351460 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Isn't there something about players having points based on ability or experience, and not being able to exceed some points limit in the team?

Reply #351467 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Isaac's right, previous years star imports would get 200k but Ervin had signed his contract as a unknown import, so he was on 75k. I'm not sure what he asked for to resign, i'd imagine it would of been 100 - 120k+

Min salary in the NBL this year is 36k. But a team can't give 36k to a 10 point player even if both parties agreed on it. The points system and salaries are linked together, i'm not 100% sure what the min salary of a 10 point player is this year though.

Reply #351471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin would have needed much more than that to stay. What's he on in Europe?

Reply #351472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the highest paid players are locals, especially with the Aussie dollar so high and imports mostly being paid in $US.

Reply #351474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Devleopment players- Minimum wage to $30K, usually on a sliding scale related to minutes and stats.

ask the 36ers development players how much they are getting, you will find it is no where near 30k

Reply #351475 | Report this post

brattymm  
Years ago

There are exceptions of course and some guys have special pay deals. For example I am told that Luke Schenscher gets paid for the entire season up front on the first day of pre-season. 1 payment for the entire year. I am told that Chris Anstey used to get paid the same way. Possibly following the example of Luc Longley (he was paid this way for his time at the Bulls).

Reply #351476 | Report this post

brattymm  
Years ago

Generally Development players get shafted. Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Townsville have the best paid Dev.Players, and none of them are on great money. The poor buggers in Adelaide would probably earn more laying bricks.
Development players usually do the bulk of the juniors coaching and school visits, this adds to their income as well.

Reply #351477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A development player isnt contracted and there are no requirements for them to be paid. If they do coaching work and clinics, then they should be paid for that. Most aren't.

Reply #351478 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Anon 351478 is right, D players are not contracted so there is no min amount to be paid. Some barely get paid & have part time jobs whilst living at home.

36k isn't that good, it's about what you get working a customer service job. But you're getting paid to play basketball.. So i wouldn't complain. In fact i'd take a pay cut at my current job to play ball every day and adjust my lifestyle around the money i make.

Reply #351480 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

My sister is a debt collector, gets paid 37k a year. Pretty bad considering her day to day duties and stress. Not sure why she does it.

36k to play ball looks pretty good now, doesn't?

Reply #351481 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ervin would have needed much more than that to stay. What's he on in Europe?
It was suggested to me that he may have stayed in Wollongong for less than he was being offered in Europe. Enjoyed the team and was a good fit for them. I met him once or twice and he seemed like a decent guy - very level headed for an MVP-calibre import.

Reply #351485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont forget that the NBL season doesnt go for a full year either.

Reply #351489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's right the NBL season doesn't go for much more than six months which is why some guys supplement their incomes during the offseason by playing in say Puerto Rico (CJ, Wortho, Redhage etc), Israel/Argentina (Ballinger) and of course the ABL.

Pretty smart by Schenscher to get his full seasons pay on the first day of pre-season. That way if the club goes bust or runs out of money during the season he's already been paid.

Reply #351491 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Alot of players play in the NZNBL as well

Reply #351495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think under immigration rules there is a minimum amount imports have to be paid (around $30K) So I would guess most SEABL inports would earn around that figure per season.

Reply #351496 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The minimum for an import is about $700 gross.On top of that they can earn money doing clinics and school visits.They get accomodation, car and there bills paid for except phone bills.By the time clubs pay all the extras it works out to about $30k minimum.
Check out the pay scale across other leagues:
http://www.globesportsmanagement.com/USA%20players%20in%20Europe.htm

Reply #351503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a very rough guide. Some teams in Europe pay five times as much as other teams in the same comp! That Spanish figure is waaaaay under!

Reply #351508 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

As you say its just a rough guide for Europe.Look at how much Dave Anderson is on?

Reply #351514 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I think that guide is very out of date. I'm sure i saw Anderson is on 2.2mil

Reply #351517 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

NZNBL imports are paid quite well. Between 60k and 80k, though some get more. Not bad for 3.5 months work. Lindsay Tait was offered to play for Auckland Pirates and work in a development role for Basketball Auckland for 100k plus.

Reply #351518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, I would've guessed lower, maybe $40-60k? Pretty good opportunity otherwise. Some of the better NBL players would do well enough over there, playing as imports.

Reply #351520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The better NBL players don't play over there because it's not financially worth the effort.

It's below ABL level, didn't David Cooper win MVP in the NZ league one year?

Reply #351521 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Its not below ABL level IMHO.

Reply #351522 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

NZNBL level talent level is ok, I'm not sure worse than the ABL.. Still it's a nice little off season pay.

Reply #351523 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I'd say that there would be a few players over $200k this season. I'd say Balls would be one IMO

Reply #351535 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

So how many Boomers play ABL? Almost the entire Tallblacks squad play NZNBL and then add some solid Imports. Last years Saints and Pistons squads would have a good chance of beating the Sixers so to say that it is below ABL level is a joke.

Reply #351568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NZNBL is well above ABA level. It's not even close.

The NZNBL has nearly as many NBL players across nine teams as the ABA does across 60 teams, and then there are other NZNBL players who have played international basketball and held their own.

Reply #351571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie NBL players used to play there as imports but the extended NBL season means they would have to miss the start of the NZNBL season, so clubs go with Americans who can be there the whole time.

Reply #351572 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jake, we were talking about imports and I would've guessed Balls at below $200k even then. If he's at $200k of the cap, 36ers fans should go lighter on Marty for effectively playing with an $800k salary cap.

Reply #351583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL rookie slaary is approx. $38k / season.

Reply #351643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dev. players in adelaide dont get anything

Reply #353898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So does anyone else know any information on the salaries of seabl players?

Reply #380085 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Outside of the top few SEABL players your playing for the "love"

Reply #380087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most SEABL clubs pay most of their players. Not all of course. The bulk of starters etc for most clubs would all be paid and even a few benchies. Salaries for many SEABL clubs are near or over $100,00.

Reply #380103 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Break down of Salaries might run:
Imports x2 : $25 to $35k
Best Aussies x 3: $8k to $15k
Bench x4: $1k to $3K

Reply #380108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one thing this has highlighted refs are overpaid

Reply #380113 | Report this post

J-Lord  
Years ago

Im trying to join an NBL team, even though im 15. Train everyday for 2-3 hours, and play rep + club

Reply #438782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15? sorry mate too young. Too young for even training bate. Work on your game and then work on your game.

Reply #438807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #695320 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754