Degenerate
Years ago

Does the equipment do anything?

Do you think that expensive basketball shoes do anything dsifferent than a pair of New Balance 620's or do the shoes hold advantages?

Do we go to far with the sleaves, arm bands, wrist bands, head bands, finger bands, knee bands, socks up to our knees, elbow pads etc. Actually help us play better, or is i all in our heads becuase of the big leagues???

What are your thoughts on today's un-needed and needed equipment, were do you draw the line from helping equipment to pointless merchandise?

Topic #2762 | Report this topic

statue of liberty  
Years ago

ALL of it is pointless, thats all for image. Even sweat bands - how much could you possibly sweat to need a sweat band. And because all the NBA players and And1 guys keep coming up with more and more crap it wont be long til everybody in SA is wearing bling blings, arm sleeves, leg sleeves, homie shorts to our ankles, beanie, etc. I look forward to that day!

Everybody knows basketball is played with the heart, if your wearing a baller ID doesnt mean your better then someone who aint!

But in terms of shoes, i personally think basketball shoes are more designed (or sposed to be) to help protect your ankle and support your foot as aposed to new balance. Although if your referring to the new balance basketball shoes then yeah there the same, just people might find a certain nike shoe lighter and better feel then nb?

I duno but good one to bring up

Reply #31270 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

You make a valid point 'statue of liberty' that basketball is played with the heart.

So therefore there is a place for all these accesories, cause if it makes the player more comfortable or confident than it can only be better for his/her game.

Whilst there are WAY too many people going over the top and wearing it just cause and wearing way too much of it, there are some people that feel more confident with their fav sweat band or whatever on and thus the better one feels the better they will play.

As for the shoes, Sure there is a different in shoes, but don't go by the dollar value. Find a pair that is comfortable for you (as above, feel good, play good), make sure you have sufficient ankle support (especially if you are prone or dont strap).

Everyone will be different and alot of people will just go with what looks good and not good for the feet.

I've been wearing a pair of And1 Silver Moneys for the past 3 or so years. I've tried some other And1 stuff but none of them seem a good fit.

Reply #31287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statue of liberty. " How much could you possibly sweat to need a sweat band "

When did you last play a hard game of BB ??

Reply #31291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have you heard of a towel

Reply #31300 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

have you heard of Terry Harvey? He needs a sweat band the size of his body, he sweats so much......

Reply #31309 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

I sweat just stretching, I don't use a sweatband, maybe I should

Reply #31324 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

i think a towel sums it up perfectly anonymous, well said

Reply #31334 | Report this post

around the traps  
Years ago

i knew a female basketballer and her equipment made all the difference

Reply #31335 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

"When did you last play a hard game of BB ??"

I bust my ass every week and i dont need a sweat band, sweat bands arnt meant to wipe your hands which is the only part you would need to wipe to catch the ball. If you cant play with a lil sweat on your face and it puts you off your game that much you have a problem

Reply #31336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wear a headband to keep my hair out my eyes, that's it. if my hands are sweating, i'll wipe them with a towel or on my guernsey

Reply #31341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think footwear is so important. some people need to spend more than others due to their different needs, such as if some one pronates they will need some sort of arch support to help correct their foot alignment. the more features on a shoe the higher the cost so its up to individual needs. a pair of n/b 620 are a xtrainer and wont be good for a serious bballer. as for sweat bands athletes have been using them for a very long time, way before fashion came into play and it can help. i wear one on the forearm when it is hot to wipe sweat from my forehead. as for baller bands and sleeves they are just like tattoos, all for looks. i do think simon kent does take the cake for unnecessary equipment though.

Reply #31361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what are baller bands and sleeves?

Reply #31377 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

diferent kicks will make a difference if you wear shit pair, but what you should wear depends on the individual, all brands haveshit 1s and good 1s, if you do a little research it aint hard 2 find what you need, if you are too lazy go the trial and error.

as for head bands...they wont make u play better but for those with long hair it helps, you could use the argument cut your hair, but i wont.

Some playas use sleaves for injuries, but i'd suggest you prolly dont need them.

unless i've missed something, the other shit wont help your game, practice will. so Degenerate i'd suggest the last option as best to help your game above baller bands etc etc.

Reply #31509 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754