Annon
Years ago

A plea to the Comp Committee and CEO of BSA

With the Winter season less than a month away, could we please ask the Comp Committee and the CEO of BSA to consider the following

All Divisons season be released in one go, not in 5 week dribble so people can plan outside basketball activities

Can all 12 team comps play 22 rounds for even comps rather than uneven 18 rounds like previous years. It would be better for BSA with generating income and games could be doubles for a few weeks. Players and parents would prefer to have even comps rather than a lopsided one

Surely with today's modern systems , can't be too hard to send out a 22 week season in one hit?

Please listen to your customers

Topic #27621 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And watch your fees go up

Reply #351786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annon get your club and all other clubs to guarentee they won't pull out teams or make requests to add some during the season.

As has been explained on here many times before over Summer we play within a Pro/Reg structure, even if in your world for your one team you may not.

NBL, WNBL, AFL, NBA ... none of these leagues play even rounds. Why are you demanding more in Juniors in SA then those leagues?

Last of all if you have legitamte comments to make this is not the place to make them if you want them actioned.

Cue the standard "you must work for BSA" replies. Sorry for offering some facts instad of complaining like most in basketball love to do.

Reply #351790 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Thanks for the feedback. If you have been around basketball, you would understand that sometime you need a forum like this to get action.

BSA often get many offers to help sort out the mess, but too be honest they don't listen.if they did, we wouldn't have to go public for help.

Happy to take feedback and it is not a complaint, but a plea for them to LISTEN to their customer.

In summer, teams pull out as players decide that they are not happy with their selections in teams, go and play other sports or just don't want to commit hen sort. But when clubs withdraw Div 1 teams, promo/relegation is irrelevant

Winter is far more settled, so a request to get a full season out on time isn't too much to ask.

Reply #351793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro/Rel is an absolute sham. All that happens is lopsideness in Winter. Players come and go during summer and in Winter teams are very different. Get rid of pro/rel, thank God they didn't bring it in in Div 1/2, that would have been the end!

Reply #351794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Paul

Reply #351796 | Report this post

Der Kommisar  
Years ago

cant get even home and away games as many grades have anything from 8-12 teams per comp.

not all clubs have enough courts for an even home and away rotation.

the reason we have 5 week blocks is pr/rel - which is the way to go.

just presume you have a game each week and at times we all need to get out the comfort zone.

why do you need to know what game you have in 4 months time ? you know you will have a game - work around that.

Reply #351798 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Der Kommisar, "Du verstehst nicht"

Reply #351801 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Because we all know we will have numerous byes and would like to plan something to do with or Friday night off.

Look at the 16 girls comp. 2 teams having a bye each week. you get 4 week of each season but yuo never know when it is.

Reply #351807 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

IF the third poster on this thread ( as quoted in full below) is an actual employee within Basketball here in SA, then I am absolutely gob smacked at the personal attitudes and values displayed in the post

Anonymous
A few hours ago
14:43 25 Feb 12

Reply #351790
re: A plea to the Comp Committee and CEO of BSA
Annon get your club and all other clubs to guarentee

- (can't use spell check)

they won't pull out teams or make requests to add some during the season.

- (This is a classic avoidance of responsibility re-frame, which relocates any and ALL responsibility and thus full blame and any responsibility to re-mediate a problem away from themselves and onto others)

As has been explained on here many times before over Summer

- ( this implies you are - 1) not listening OR 2- listening but stupid , AND 3- We have been doing our job but you are not doing yours)-

. we play within a Pro/Reg structure, even if in your world for your one team you may not.

- (implies that you do not live in the real world, and in any case your one team is not important to us at all - so go away )-

NBL, WNBL, AFL, NBA ... none of these leagues play even rounds. Why are you demanding more in Juniors in SA then those leagues?

- (Gives a clears insight as to exactly what standard this person believes is adequate IE – its OK to be just be as bad as others , and don’t ever aspire to be the best ) -

Last of all if you have legitamte

- (spelling again)-

comments to make this is not the place to make them if you want them actioned.

- ( We only listen to you when you come to us as a supplicant, we refuse to listen to anyone or any thing that does not play under our rules – even thought I am active on this forum !!?? Also the use of the word actioned alters implied expectations to a more minimal and disassociated outcome - eg "actioned" does not implicitly include actions such as "agreed" or "fixed" or even "considered" , It can mean as little as "read and filed and forgotten" )-

Cue the standard "you must work for BSA" replies. Sorry for offering some facts instad

-Spelling again)-

of complaining like most in basketball love to do.

- (not quite understanding that the great majority of their own reply is about complaining about the person making the complaint, insulting them and then dismissing them. )-

I hope the above is able to be followed. Generally when I do this type of corporate values, beliefs and attitudes elicitation in a professional consult - I have the advantage of formatting ,such as colour, italics etc , including pop up notes and hot linking to deeper explanations of the implications of the grammar and sentence structure.

As I said at the outset, its a worry if this person is an employee, however that is actually not essential to accepting this post as a valid insight into the corporate or personal values in SA basketball. All this poster has to have is a reasonable amount of interaction with the subject corporate entity for their post to be a close approximation of what does actually come out of that organisation.

Of course one post is not a valid sample size - but still - at least it makes me think

Reply #351809 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

and yes , I have two typing errors in my post - Damn

Reply #351813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Summer is crap for Div 3 and below. Joke Joke Joke.

Should be NO SOUTH NORTH its rubbish. 1 tream per div for summer.

Let this crazy crap end.

Reply #351815 | Report this post

Der Kommisar  
Years ago

really that u16 double bye will dissolve for winter - it is because a team bailed part way through summer

Reply #351823 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Der Kommisar.

How much you want to bet?

How is that going to happen?

Neither Woodville nor South will put a team in the comp.

And every year BSA has put a double bye into the competition becasue they cant schedule it home and away if 2 clubs dont nominate.

U18 girls had a double bye all winter 2 season ago. Didnt have centrals and west.

But they are more than happy to take the same amount of money for nominations and registrations even though they only give them 80% of the games.

Reply #351833 | Report this post

Der Kommisar  
Years ago

put the second forestvilel and sturt u16 teams into div 1 - no byes

Reply #351842 | Report this post

Kadina Lion  
Years ago

The timing of some Friday night games and the travel for us country players is my issue. (Yes, I know, it is our choice)

For example, a 9 45 game means the game finishes around 11 pm. For a 15 yo playing for Forestville and living at Unley, they are tucked into bed by their mummy by 11 30. For someone who lives in the country, we don't get home until 1 am at the earliest, then the next day we have to get up early for footy or netball (yes, we take that seriously in the country) We might have a game at Yorketown the next day so we just can't stay overnight.

Under 16s is fine for country players, but that's why a lot pull out at Under 18 level.

Reply #351844 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The call from some clubs to put a second team into Div 1 is constant and deafening. So here is a solution.

Div 1 is scheduled as a "carnival" with all Div 1 games for a club being played at the same night and at the same stadium. The 10 member clubs have a priority spot in the Div 1 competition as they must be able to develop players to maintain ABA teams. So, in the case of a competition where a member club does not nominate a team for a season, then this creates a bye situation.

I therefore propose that in this situation, with the consent of the member club, another club could nominate into that vacancy providing that they play their home games at their stadium in order than that scheduling is not disrupted.

For example, the U16 girls Div 1 situation. No South and no Woodville means a double bye. So let's say that both these clubs chose not to nominate a Div 1 team for winter (as a result of a whatever) In this case Forestville 2 and Sturt 2 in the Div 2 competition could be in a position to fill their spots. As Sturt is closer to South, they play their games as the South Proxy, Forestville 2 play their games as the Woodville proxy.

That means that the Sturt team only play at Pasadena when South play at Pasadena and similarly with Forestville, they only play at Wayville when Woodville play there. All their other games are played at the stadiums where their hosts play.

No you don't get something for nothing and a Div 1 spot has an inherent value. Therefore, another condition would be some compensation to the host club for yielding that spot for the season. I would start the compensation at say $1,000 per Div 1 spot to make sure that these teams were serious about playing.

Thoughts?

Reply #351845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why dont you just close clubs and make it a six club comp

Reply #351855 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Jack on the surface it appears your idea is a good one.
If a VACANCY EXISTS IN A HIGHER LEVEL then the team that wins the summer season is promoted.
Example : Team A top of Under 14 Boys Div 2 is promoted as the second team in Div 1.
Example : Team A top of Under 14 Boys Div 3 is
promoted as the second team in Div 2.
I would place a rule in all divisions that for the last 5 weeks of the summer season no player movement is allowed.
Finally I am not sure about the $1,000 per div 1 spot. We must remember that this only happens if a vacancy exists at the higher level, member clubs still have the right to nominate their requirements.

Reply #351856 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yes, the member club does have a right, but if they chose not to nominate, some consideration may help them to better develop juniors to fill that gap.

Reply #351866 | Report this post

As a coach of one of the U/16 Div. 1 girls teams I hate having the two byes. I have thought the same thing as Jack Toft, promote the top two teams from Div. 2 and have them fill in the gaps that are left by South and Woodville's U/16 Girls non existance. This will also solve the problem of there being 12 teams in Div. 2, this will make it a 10 team comp in both Div. 1 and Div. 2 and get rid of any bye's or unevenness in the competions.

Reply #351935 | Report this post

Nix  
Years ago

Jack, the problem is if those clubs get $1K to not field a div 1 team, they're likely to not put that into junior resources, but rather into paying ABL players in a misguided attempt to become relevant. Which is probably why they're unable to field a div 1 standard junior team in the first place.

Reply #351958 | Report this post

Der Kommisar  
Years ago

i have no problems with 2 teams in div 1 - as long as they have earnt it and not just fitting an empty slot - forestville 2 u16 d2 abd sturt 2 and eastern 2 all look like they could fill the double bye.

my commendations to south and woodville for making a correct decision and put their teams in a realistic grade - D2 and 3 - results confirm this.

Reply #351963 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nix, good point. ABA can be like an ex-wife on the purse strings of a club leaving the juniors nothing but gristle when they should be fed steak.

But, junior development is a chicken and egg thing. I think it would be great if all clubs were of a similar strength (not weakness) and every game was within a few points. However, in order to get to that a club needs skilled juniors, skilled coaches and an environment conducive to development. When efforts go into LONG TERM junior development, the benefits at ABA flow on.

Any consideration as a result of yielding a Div 1 spot must go into junior development.

Reply #351994 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Let's get back on topic here, we want to have the full season released at one time not in the dribble of 5 week blocks.

We want 12 team comps to have an even round , that would generate more income , yes INCOME , for BSA and make it fair. Comparison to AFL,NRL etc is crap, this is kids basketball and they want to play and play in an even comp.

Reply #352093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumbest thing I have ever heard from you Jack. Many clubs cant get juniors now so by opening the door for the larger clubs to fill their boots will ensure the demise of the smaller clubs.
There is not enough interest or talent in junior girls basketball now and far too many are dropping of at the U 16 level.
Bite the bullet and reduce the clubs or introduce zones but don't kill the smaller clubs off by stealth.

Reply #352103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the zoning zealot back with talks of doom and gloom...

Reply #352106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754