bugbear
Years ago

Junior finals bias

When will BSA ever change finals venues to a neutral one. Regardless of cost you take our money all year and then don't want to spend it on games at the Dome? Instead we suffer a compromised system favouring a team that needs the least amount of help. How are teams expected to compete equally when the home venue is always granted to our opposition. I'm sure the second in charge at BSA sees no issue at all. He gets home games every season he make finals. Spend the money BSA , show some transparency, grow a pair and give EVERYBODY a level playing field for finals.

Topic #27639 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not so concerned about where finals are scheduled but ensure referees are neutral. A bigger issue is the bar and canteen takings from these games - more money into the pockets of the bigger clubs!

Reply #352025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed.

BSA should host all Junior finals. Ensure referee rosters are done with teams and clubs taking into account.

All income should be shared between all the clubs evenly.

Neither Forestville or Sturt have done anything to contribute to the cost of obtaining the best venues, or pay to oprate their club canteens and bars for things such as finals games.

Yet these clubs get thousands of dollars in income every year from things like Junior Finals, CABL Pre-Season Tournaments, Masters Games etc

Reply #352028 | Report this post

Der Kommisar  
Years ago

junior finals the highest ranked refs get the games - got nothing to do with home stadiums.

Reply #352030 | Report this post

Der Kommisar  
Years ago

clubs like forestville and sturt have had very hard working people in years gone by to make the clubs what they are - there is no reason why others can not be there - did i not read in bsa newsletter last week that a big new marion stadium is on the boards / planning.....

Reply #352031 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

Der Kommisar, this has nothing to do with the hard working people at Forestville or Sturt. I don't begrudge the hard work they have put in to make their Clubs successful. It has EVERYTHING to do with the controlling body not rewarding hard working programs in other Clubs.
The biggest complaint Sturt and Forestville have is the lack of true competition. The current finals arrangement does nothing more than making sure that continues.

Reply #352033 | Report this post

Der Kommisar  
Years ago

so from what i read you suggest the dome ?

canteen arrangement is run privately by caterers.

what would the hire be for the night - what sort of cost would be passed on ?

dont the finals rotate around anyway ?

one week some stadiums get one round the next week a different lot ?

dome is a great stadium and we have had junior finals there before.

doesnt morphett vale have country champs coming up soon ?

Reply #352036 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

definitely the Dome, the only truly neutral stadium

good luck to the caterers, no different to the majority of Clubs who give all their Canteen spending to someone else come finals ( Eagles )

$4k-5k a drop in the ocean considering the amount of money the junior program contributes to BSA coffers. Currently shows no respect stating that this is not worth spending. Who is paying the majority of your budget at present? Then repay the favour

finals rotate? Sturt to Forestville..Forestville to Sturt..a few to tigers if required, some rotation

Reply #352041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only moved out of Wayville due to Showtime. Not by rotation or choice.

Reply #352044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you know who the BSA mob were affiliated with in pre basa days . It's no surprise some clubs are looked after and it's not going to change anytime soon.

Reply #352045 | Report this post

Fair Go  
Years ago

I agree, the finals venue should go to the highest ranked team playing. That rewards the teams that do the best in the season. Also the centeen will benefit. Most canteens do not run a a profit, and is there for the benefit of the patrons, not as a money making venture.

Reply #352047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So open a Stadium for possibly 1 game?

Never going to happen.

Reply #352050 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

Neither should it, just cough up the dough and hire the best neutral venue in the State sitting idle and unused.

Reply #352052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which is fine for 2 courts, not 3.

Still need more than just the Arena.

Reply #352053 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Can I suggest the following.

What a lot of country footy leagues do is to rotate the final series each year. Regardless of who is playing. The same could be done here.

Let's say the following rotations:

Year 1: North & Centrals
Year 2: West & Woodville
Year 3: Norwood & Mavs
Year 4: Southern & South
Year 5: Sturt & Forestville

Or does that provide too much balance to the competition?

Reply #352068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldnt have enough courts.

Reply #352069 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Rubbish

Reply #352070 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

This self-interested stone walling seems to be most prevalent when challenging this obvious imbalance. Forces seem to be at work to make us all think that we are misguided to even question such blatant favouritism. It really is time that the relevant parties were told that enough is enough. You should no longer expect to be favoured without question. Disadvantaged Clubs should be asking more questions and demanding more honest answers. Enough bullshit.

Reply #352072 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Here, here.

So, why would you not permit member clubs to rotate in the hosting of finals in order that any perceived or actual bias be removed?

Reply #352079 | Report this post

SNES  
Years ago

Maybe it's about creating a great atmosphere for finals games which is best done at Wayville and Pasadena. No other venues compare in terms of seating and quality.

Home ground means nothing - absolute nothing in Juniors Basketball. No dominant crowd numbers, no home town referee cooking, this is simply the clubs that cannot compete on a level with Sturt and Forestville having a big old sook.

Gimme a break - so sick to death of hearing all you damn whingers go on about how BSA and there devilish plans to screw you out of every last cent and make your destiny to not win a final. The issue isn't with the system, the issue is with serial complainers who think they are being screwed at every turn - and always think there is a conspiracy theory to every decision that is made to screw you directly.

Grab a box of Kleenex, rent the notebook, buy a block of chocolate and cry those poor little eyes out - bloody sooks!

Reply #352090 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

sounds like you would be crying like a baby if you lost your home final
Conspiracy theory. The bias is right in front of you smacking you in the face.
But as it favours your chances immensely you protect it vehemently and ridicule all and sundry who question it.
Gimme a break-so sick to death of all your elitist crap assuming its your birthright to have every advantage afforded to you.
Home ground means EVERYTHING. Get off your high horse and ask any athlete how big a difference it actually makes.
If you don't think it makes a difference then give up your home court. Wayville and Pasadena the best atmosphere ?? You obviously only stay and watch home games.
Time to get out of your bubble and attend a few away games.

Reply #352095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because some of those courts are not suitable for finals, and you would not be able to have everyone who turns up actually see the games.

Reply #352096 | Report this post

Dirty Strty  
Years ago

bugbear,

Sturt do not schedule finals at Pasadena. Only Forestville have that ability, as they are the only club that has a BSA employee out of the 2 clubs. So to sugget Sturt in any way has any involvement in favouatism is misguided. Feel free to point the finger at the culprits rather than those who have no say in the outcome.

Reply #352098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I prefer to play finals at Wayville or Pasadena mainly because they are the best facilities to host - that are within reasonable distance from the city. Having said that, I wouldn't have a problem playing a final at Morphett Vale (just as good courts, a little less seating though), Mars or even Marion (the courts are GREAT, just a bit cramped and there is no way you could fit the spectators in). But certainly not Port Adelaide (courts are not proper size and is the worst facility in metro), Hillcrest while court 2 isn't flat (once it is it would be fine except again for spectator seating) or Mt Barker (and the OHS nightmare that is Ct 2).
As some have mentioned above, I think the bigger issue is refereeing in finals, and avoiding refs that are generally based at one of the clubs playing.
Hopefully this new stadium at Marion gets green lit, and we have another top notch facility to play finals at!

Reply #352105 | Report this post

Fair Go  
Years ago

What Adelaide need is a 6 court centre in the parklands, that is not linked to any club, but to the association, and to play as many games at a neutral facility. Then the clubs use their courts for training and social competitions. Much easier said than done, but maybe that should be the long term goal of the authorities.

Reply #352110 | Report this post

Red 80  
Years ago

That would cost about $10m to build.

If you play finals at non-BSA venues it will never happen.

And it would need to be about 8 - 10 courts. But as there would be structures you wouldnt be allowed to build it in the park lands as its size would make it not in line with the rules of the park lands.

I wish people would make ideas that are at least a little thought out!

Reply #352113 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

ABA finals have been played at Hillcrest previously and while the crowd were squeezed in it was a great atmosphere and I can't see any reason why finals in juniors can not be played there or Marion etc

I like the rotating idea and clubs like Norwood would know in advance and have time to organise with Mars owners

Reply #352122 | Report this post

Red 80  
Years ago

Norwood do not organise games at Mars. BSA do, as they have the lease for those times.

B/ More people come to a junior finals night than an ABA final other than the GF.

You have 8 teams plus their spectator and you get more people to a regular friday night game than ABA game in the first place.

Again, please do some background research before making undefendable statements.

Reply #352125 | Report this post

Years ago

Why would anyone want a final at a dump like hillcrest, marion or pt adel. Finals are played at real stadiums. South, west and nth shdnt even get home games.

Reply #352139 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry Red but I disagree with you, I think a packed out crowd at these small venues would be fine.
Great atmosphere and besides the clubs deserve this if they finish highest

Reply #352154 | Report this post

Red 80  
Years ago

If you went to the finals last year you would have seen that Wayville was fully packed for finals last year. That would be close to 500 people there.

Where would all those people fit a Hillcrest or Marion? They would be standing on the court.

Reply #352163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some clubs draw higher crowds than others - Southern in particular always have a large following, as do Forestville. There is NO WAY any of the smaller stadiums would be big enough if Southern make the 18 boys final.
But yup, Wayville was packed last year and that crowd would not fit into many of the smaller stadiums.

Reply #352168 | Report this post

spelling police  
Years ago

red 80 is on the money - wayville was packed for junior finals recently - so small stadium would struggle

Reply #352174 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

why does everyone say port adelaide is arguably the worse stadium out this is how i would rate them:

1 Starplex
2 Wayville
3 Pasadena
4 Morphette Vale
5 Mars
6 Port Adelaide
7 Mt Baker
8 Marion
9 Hillcrest
10 St Clair

I can understand that the port has undersized courts but besides that, it isnt that bad compared to Marion, Hillcrest or St Clair
the courts are a massive dead spot, there is no grip and practically no room

I would only put Port above Mt Baker because they have 3 courts but i think they are pretty even

Even though its a bit of a drive i still think playing at the port is better than some

What does everyone else think

Reply #352175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just reckon some people should get over their petty little feelings and do what is good for basketball.

wayville and pas and I neither work for BSA, or with sturt or forestville.

Referees are the best selected for the age group and will come from all over adelaide. do you want the best or do you again want a petty perception that cause someone refs at port adelaide they therefore must favour west?

Perhaps all these petty thoughts are excuses for when your teams lose.

Reply #352177 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

this thread started only as a plea to reward all the hard work that Juniors put in all season to reach the major round.
Once they reach finals you would hope that every opportunity was given to provide BOTH teams with an even opportunity to win the game.
The only answer to accomodate that scenario is a neutral venue.
A neutral venue sits idle.
Does the controlling body respect the need for that transparency and fairness to shown?
Sadly it does not.

Reply #352193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The neutral venue is not run by BSA. It comes at a high cost. You seem to ignore the facts that people have given you.

Reply #352194 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

excuse me Anon 194?
I'm certainly aware of the costs involved more than most. As I've stated previously and you have chosen to ignore is that considering the amount of funds put in by juniors it would be worth every dollar to pay that fee.
Every other scenario gives advantage undeservedly to the few.

Reply #352197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you really think that Forestville gain an unfair advantage playing a final at home?

Most Eagle teams don't train at Wayville. So what's the advantage?

And I'm sorry I'd rather my Junior admin costs going towards things like Junior Development, Stadiums and 100s of other things before it goes into the pocket of one person.

Reply #352208 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

Of course it provides an advantage
More than half your games are played there during a season
I would love to think my money is going to Junior development.
I don't believe in pixies though.
The lions share is covering over-staffed BSA admin costs and the 6ers.
So I do think a small portion should go back to support the cash-cow that is the Junior program.

Reply #352224 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

bugbear

How is you money from juniors covering 36ers costs exactly?

Reply #352230 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

you don't think any monies from general revenue go to elite level?

Reply #352231 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

No, I do not think that any money from BSA goes to the 36ers or Lightning.

Why would it considering they are privately run enterprises?

Reply #352236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bugbear if you think BSA is doing a bad job and are undermanned how do you equate that they are over staffed at admin level.

A CEO, a Comp manager, his assistant, a Officiating Dev Manager and his assistant, A finance officer a part time trainee, stadium managers run more than one statium and have low cost trainees where is that over staffed, I'd say understaffed more like it.

plus as the previous poster said sixers and lightning are privately owned, none of the BSA monies go to them. State teams are elite level and are partly, read partly funded by BSA I believe. ABA is funded by the clubs, just where do you think the money is going.

Figure you are just trotting out tried and failed urban myths. Everything is everyone elses fault, venue, refs, lack of money, mmmm I can see where the problem lies.

Reply #352242 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Umm, wouldnt that have to do with the overstaff admin people making decisions that do not maximise revenue and fail to meet their own deadlines and vision plans. In large due to being hamstrung by the poorly set up comission structure and having country and church voting with 4 independents against basketball adelaide, who have probably never seen the inside of a baskertball stadium and get giving misleading information because it suits the agenda of those people who provide information to keep the jobs that they are doing a bad job of in the first place. And that they have minimised all forms of complaints to only go through those people who can filter them so that at each level they are able to dismiss them as rants and individuals doing what is in their own interest.

That said, the 36ers and lightning get no money from BSA.

Reply #352245 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

probably worthy of a new thread.
Anon 242 you sound very happy with your work at BSA
The basketball community of 'urban mythers' are far from happy with your management.

Reply #352251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

never worked for BSA nor plan too just see what they have to put up with, dislike people who critise everything see no good in anything anyone does or tries too. Bugbear you were quick to say I worked for BSA perhaps you should take your blinkers off and see how you judge everyone. trite phase but try being part of the solution not part of the problem.

Majority of the problem with the current BSA structure is how it was structured by the previous CEO. Church and Country have far too much say, especially Church who do not have to change their rep each year or every two years so everything will be stone walled or blocked until that changes.

I actually feel sorry for the staff of BSA if they do a good job they do not get the recongition. As soon as someone believes there is a perceived bias they bleat they are unfair. Many chose not to hear or acknowledge the other side of the story believing they are being screwed over.

Me, I'd prefer to be a specator in a stadium like Wayville close to the city , centrally located, adequate parking and public transport. Loads of seating and toilet facilites. Than go to HIllcrest or Marion where the seating and toilets are inadequate, the carparks are dust bowls in summer and mud pits in winter. Dome or arena in a 3 court configuration is not conducive to specator ease or comfort. plus you want BSA to be fiscally responsible yet you want them to hire courts at Dome for double the price at Pas or Wayville.

If I had children playing in finals I'd prefer to go to Pas or Wayville where if one was playing div 2 and the other div 1 I didn't have far to travel rather than go to Morphett Vale and Starplex for their games for finals on the same night.

Mars (life be in it) ST Clair (CASA) Marion lesiure (CASA) Starples (trinity) Mt Barker (adel hills) all cost more to hire than pasadena, Morphett Vale, Marion, HIllcrest, Port Adelaide do.

Hillcrest and Marion are two small to cope with finals crowds. Port Adelaide are not the right size courts.

given all those arguments, why is Pasadena and Wayville such a bad idea?

Reply #352263 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because enemy clubs get canteen money, I'd guess?

Reply #352270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont mind where the games are played as long as the refs are up to standard!!

Reply #352271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You play the games in best and most economical stadiums.

END OF STORY.

this is a stupid thread

Reply #352405 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

Wouldn't argue with your evaluation if it didn't happen to house a non-deserving home-court finalist

Reply #352489 | Report this post

anonomouse  
Years ago

It has nothing to do with home court advantage.

It has everything to do with it being the best available stadium's to play finals in.

It is best for "baskeball", not for Forestville.

Reply #352504 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

its bi-product is advantage Forestville

I disagree and think 'basketball' is poorer for it

Reply #352507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bugbear you've more than made your point. But no one agrees with you.
Yes it's unfair, yes forestville gain a financial benefit but life isn't fair mate.

Playing at Wayville and Pasadena is still better then any other alternative, Ben yours. The people have spoken and try don't agree with you. Let it go already.

Reply #352511 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

bugbear, you also thought that BSA pushed money to the 36ers, right?

Reply #352532 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Personally, I think a finals team should get a home game and would love to see the grand final day rotated around the clubs so that all clubs can showcase what they have got.

It is not un-common that a number of sports have a central "main arena" and have a tenant based in that arena to stop it from gathering dust. In the case of basketball, that stadium appears to be Wayville and the lucky club is West Torrens (aka Forestville)

The benefit of being the tenant is that being central one can attract participants from all points of the compass.

Bugbear, while there are some on this forum who will never agree with you, there is a natural built in bias as a result of having a "main arena" and tenant situation that cannot be easily overcome. Injustice is a part of the world in which we live - we have to accept it.

Reply #352534 | Report this post

bugbear  
Years ago

I'm certainly not blind to the situation that exists here in SA

To say the people have spoken Anon 511 and they all side with you is just sheer arrogance and ignoring other posters on this thread with an alternate view.

I couldn't agree more with Jack's comments above

Its not an ideal situation but one we have to live with until the sport develops to a point where other adequate stadia are up to scratch and the love can be shared on a rotational basis.

I can also see that certain parties will also fight for that not to happen as the current situation affords them many benefits.

Reply #352535 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

If the Marion concept gets some legs, all finals will be played there.

Reply #352541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bugbear thatnks for having a dig at me, followed by agreeing with my point.

Are you suggesting that Forestville would actively work against BSA and Councils building better venues? I'm confused by your rant about certain parties fighting against developing better stadia.

No one is saying it's a fair result. But the alternative of paying a private company venue hire to play to use 2 courts which aren't set up greatly for junior basketball so as to be neutral really isn't an option.

Just to make it very clear, BSA does not put money into the 36ers or Lightning as far as I know. Also Basketball SA is quite understaffed in comparison to other sports and other state basketball bodies.

You've obviously spoken to people who have an opinion on the topic. Can I suggest you stop drinking the cool aid man and go find out facts of thee situation yourself.

Reply #352542 | Report this post

i would be interested in the home court advantage to the higher team - just like wnbl and nbl play offs.

but it would mean a stadium may open for a one game scenario.

say if north made 7 preliminary finals after losing 7 second semis - it means all 7 prelims would be played at hillcrest - which would be a full night for the 2 court stadium

Reply #352548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on tonight's semis if Home court was applied:

Wayville: 7 Division One games, 12 games total
Pasadena: 2 Division One games, 9 games total
MARS: 1 Division One game, 4 games total
Morphett Vale: 2 Division One games, 3 games total
Hillcrest: 2 Division One games, 2 games total
Mt. Barker: 1 Division One game, 1 game total
St. Clair: 1 Division One game, 1 game total

I haven't included U18 Division 3 which is in Pro/Rel

Reply #352551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bugbear (and to a lesser extent Jack), I don't think people have a problem with rotating finals IF the stadium is okay. Unf. at the moment there are many that are not, and the stadiums that are - Wayville, Pasadena, and I believe Morphett Vale (U12s at least) are the ones being used.
I don't like playing Forestville at Wayville in a final, but I find it MUCH preferable to playing them at Port Adelaide!

Reply #352552 | Report this post

so there is a chance that a stadium that could have bsa rostered finals may miss out all together if we went with highest finishing team having home court advantage.... ?

Reply #352557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also think of the parents who may have 3 kids all playing div 1, normally all in one stadium on a friday night. now come finals they need to get one child to m/vale at 6 to play u12div 1, they need to get second child to play u141 to port adelaide then third child to mt barker to play u161. Logistical nightmare when we all complain about rising costs of basketball and especially when cost of fuel is so high at present.

also rostering staff whether it be CSO (doorkeepers) or Court supervisors and then referees to so many stadiums over one night again raises the costs. Also with referees often doing two games in a night you will run out of the quality referees doing finals that you all crave. Plus if you have to pay a minimum amount to open up the stadiums again you are talking more money and you all complain that bSA is not being fiscally responsible.

not with Forestville but I'd be sure that they don't get to train in their own stadium each time bit like West and Woodville don't do the majority of training at ST Clair or port Adelaide.

A lot of the complaints i see on here is that Forestville get the bar and the canteen takings. Why not put in a proposal to your own club which could take it to BSA to consider that when finals are played at Pas and Wayville that all the clubs can have a % of the profit above what it costs to run. Perhaps other clubs can offer volunteers to work the canteen or the sausage sizzle on the nights. Or perhaps on a rotational basis one team or club could run the sausage sizzle or a cake stall or be able to walk around selling lucky squares. wouldn't then basketball be the winner.

Kids want their parents and grand parents watching them in finals Wayville especailly caters to this ample parking, ample toilet facilities and adequate seating. If i was a grand parent going to watch my grandkid I would be very uncomfortable sitting on the low seats at hillcrest where I need to be levered up at the end of the night, or walking from the back of the stadium on the un even ground.

Reply #352562 | Report this post

maybe the clubs could provide the bar / canteen staff and get a cut ?

Reply #352565 | Report this post

just dont expect an expert barista on a new / different coffee machine.......

Reply #352566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs could do a BBQ in the carpark on a rotation!! And like the raffle idea, no reason clubs couldn't do that already

Reply #352573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:05 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754