Isaac
Years ago

Hoops SA gets frontpage mention in IW

Anyone else notice the frontpage mention of Hoops SA in The Independent Weekly on Sunday?

Topic #2764 | Report this topic

around the traps  
Years ago

never heard of it ?

independent weekly - not hoops sa !

Reply #31325 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's essentially the only competition for the Sunday Mail. It aims to be a little more highbrow/intellectual with varying levels of success (often the proofreading and typesetting is a little weak), but at least it covers issues that the Sunday Mail ignores.

Anyway, the article is "Irate fans put 36ERS through the hoop". It takes up the left column of the frontpage, and then roughly a third of page two. It mentions specific threads from Hoops SA and quotes directly from posts made here. I will try to get a copy online for people to read tomorrow if I have time.

The general discussion is along three lines -- the bad financial situation of BASA, the unhappiness of fans, officials and ex-players with the club, and the existence of a consortium of business people strongly interested in buying the 36ERS, but needing more information from the government before making a formal offer.

Reply #31333 | Report this post

around the traps  
Years ago

that would be good

Reply #31337 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Isaac,

Do I get a mention in the article?

Reply #31340 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that's in part 2 next week...

But that reminds me, I saw a number plate on a car at the Forestville vs Sturt game the other week: "MANUT 1". Yours?

Reply #31356 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Yes Issac I read the whole article as I picked up a copy from the ferry coming back from a weekend holiday at KI.

It was written very well and hopefully you can get a copy up here for everyone to read.

Do you know who the businessman and his group are? I think it would be fantastic to sell the 36'ers to passionate fans who have the dough and the knowhow. It was also great in the article to see the reporter get info from ex-players and staff to bolster the claims about all the varying issues already at the forefront of the many problems already discussed.

PS - you're just getting to big now Issac with your 'spare time' forum getting on the front of newspapers! =) Well done - recognition well deserved!

Reply #31393 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Isaac, talk to Journo12 and see if he can get you a gig in The Border Watch. He invents quotes for me regularly!

Reply #31545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #31717 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

....A businessman well known in the basketball community.....hmmm

Your middle name isnt Bill is it Isaac? ;)

Reply #31731 | Report this post

new  
Years ago

Well, at least someone other than Boti is writing something about basketball in the Adelaide press.

Reply #31737 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, I run a two-person business. I ain't in the position to buy clubs willy-nilly, trust me!

The reporter for that article did contact me for comment last week, but I didn't check my answering machine in time.

Reply #31740 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Bill Ng???

With his dad Bulk Bill Ng???

Reply #31745 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Bill Gates?

"Adelaide Microsoft 36ers"

Reply #31751 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754