tropical booz
Years ago

hammer good for sydney

I know a lot of u dont like him but having Hammer back in it as a coach spices it up a bit. With the Dragons & even Gold Coast it added a bit to the league. If he gets the chance to put his own team together for next season it will be interesting to see how he goes without the burden of not having to play. Love him or hate him he doesn't sit back & talk about it - he has a crack. The pay cheque will also be nice for him. I'm tipping Kings will go well & he'll help attract big crowds as well. Thoughts?

Topic #27640 | Report this topic

igotmadskills  
Years ago

it does add interest as there isnt that many really outspoken players/coaches going around that everyone loves to hate. I sit behing the opposition so good to see how he coaches, gorg was the best in my opinion, his staredowns and his pop a blood vessel look worked wonders on his players and his umpires.

if it brings more to the games and more media coverage then its a win win.

Reply #352034 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

What annoys me about Shane Heal's return to coaching at Sydney is that the print media referring to Heal as making a successful NBL coaching debut...nobody doing their research to identify his dismal record at the South Dragons!

I hope Heal does well and helps the NBL with increased media exposure...

Reply #352039 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I guess, technically, as he was a player-coach back then, you could say it was his debut as a coach??

Reply #352042 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He took the Dragons to the plaoffs in his first year which people forget. He made a bad decision To get Groves when he was passed it & sack Korvossy. He made Holmes captain but he did all the interviews. He would have learnt a lot & wont fall on his own sword again!

Reply #352051 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Not to mention the pay chq will be better than flipping burgers at Urban burger!

Reply #352058 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

No meadia in ADL 'bout a 36ers win on Saturday nite .
but a mention of Heal winning the game.
Maher would be pretty good , here.

Reply #352064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeahhhh bit to early to tell champ.

Reply #352065 | Report this post

deimos32  
Years ago

You're all deluded. Another NBL example of a guy who has no business being a professional coach or deserving a shot as one. Has served no apprenticeship, has not learned the craft like most of the ex-NBA players are forced to do as long-term assistant coaches. No substance to his coaching - not one little bit.

Reply #352114 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I think he may have learnt a bit over the past year or two as an assistant to Brown with the olympic team. I also think he may be somewhat humbled a bit by everything that has happened in his coaching career to date as well as his business problems.
I actually think it's a good move to be honest. They aren't going to compete in the finals, so why not give a club legend another try out. He still has a big supporter base so will continue to bring in crowds.
If you think about it, if our crowds were dwindling away and they got rid of Marty, bringing in someone like Maher for a sneak peak at what he can do plus bringing in extra supporters would only be good for the Club.

Reply #352119 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

deimos32 - yeah - the NBA would never just give a job to a guy cos he could play, Mark Jackson would never jump striaght from the commentary booth to the NBA sidelines :)

Reply #352121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unusual for a fan to jump to a conclusion after one game.
im pretty sure heal was out injured for a good month when he was with the dragons, so definitely not his coaching debut over the w/e

Reply #352161 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754