Anonymous
Years ago

U18 State sides chosen.

Both the boys and girls U18 State sides are now finalised. Some interesting selections and glaring emissions don't you think.

Topic #27651 | Report this topic

Calls  
Years ago

Not really.

Always the case with the last spots being more down to who trained best.

And considering none of us were at all the trainings how can we tell.

And if you were, you are just another whinging parent who's kid missed out.

Reply #352155 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

Who made the boys & girls metro teams?

Reply #352156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every yr there are these glaring ommissions, every team has them every single selection process ever undertaken is flawed.

Reply #352157 | Report this post

Calls  
Years ago

Or subjective.

Reply #352158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the process? Is selection based on training only or game performance as well?

Reply #352165 | Report this post

Calls  
Years ago

On state trainings and practice games I would think. With club games giving an indication of where they might fit and what they could do. But if yu cant do it against the other players, might show you aren't up to it at Nationals. Plus depends on whether they fit the teram. No good havng 6 points guards even if they are all in the beset 10 players. Therfore subjective and no matter the selection would be questioned.

Reply #352167 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

There's always some interesting selections and glaring emissions in any team for whatever reason. What the Australian basketball fraternity just don't realise is that the game has been on the slide and it is still going south. There is no direction going forward. No real stars with exciting personality and pozaz. No connection to local communites. Full of jobs and opportunities for who you know not what you know. Cancer is set in! Take alot to tidy up as some of the well knowns are in on it.

Reply #352169 | Report this post

spelling police  
Years ago

omissions not emissions LOL

Reply #352171 | Report this post

Dumb ass  
Years ago

sorry, i'm either , blind, dumb, stupid or all of the above but i can't seem to find the teams list on the BSA website?

Reply #352173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls
Jasmine Trimboli
Dannielle Angley
Sylvia Garula
Tamara Brine
Amy Watson
Stephanie Kraul
Rebekah Hatchard
Aimee Herriman
Ruby Luders
Adrienne Worrell

Reply #352179 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

boys ??

Reply #352181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep!! Usual story..... Depends on who u play for!!! U can sit on the bench for your local but train well and your in the side.

Reply #352183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so will there be a carbon tax charge on the emissions??

Reply #352184 | Report this post

rpjdbd  
Years ago

Have heard word 2nd hand that the boys are:

Sam Daly (Sturt)
Sam Johns (Southern)
Sam McDaniel (Southern)
Hamish Burns (Sturt)
Levi Elms (Forestville)
Sam Bugeja (West)
Brandon Gleaves (West)
Cohen Creeper (Sturt)
Jack Turnbull (Sturt)
Cameron Ortlepp (Norwood)

Reserves:

Anderson Clarke (Forestville)
Kean Flowers (Forestville)
Daniel Ebert (Forestville)
Rick Szabo (Sturt)
Ben Rennie (West)

Not sure if there are any surprises in there or who they'd be. Forestville on top but only 1 representative maybe?

As I said, 2nd hand info, so if it's incorrect, please feel free to correct it.

Reply #352186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think two of the girls got their start at Centrals.

Reply #352195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion Anderson Clarke very unlucky

Reply #352196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few were unlucky but that's a frigging strong side!!!!!! That team must be under the pump to medal 4sure???

Reply #352200 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

Spelling Police - Basketball in Australia LOL

Reply #352204 | Report this post

Years ago

Who is Anderson Clarke? He's the only one there I've never heard of.

Reply #352209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty clarkes oldest son

Reply #352213 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

Can someone tell me who the 1st years are?

Reply #352217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandon Gleaves is a 1st year

Reply #352218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Turnbull is a first year, so is Ben Rennie.

Reply #352226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If SA is like some other states I think that once the kids of coaches, ex-players and basketball administrators have been selected, there's just not enough spots for the ones with talent or potential.

Reply #352345 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

One saucer of milk for the poster above.

You're not Yumi Stynes are you?

Reply #352346 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

(Mod: Deleted. Read the policy about naming U18 players.)

Reply #353153 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

(Mod: Not getting the picture.)

Reply #353162 | Report this post

Bill Simmons  
Years ago

Anon - you're the childish one for mentioning the kids name in the first place. It's common knowledge that you don't do this but I guess you're above any rules and just do things your way?

The kid obviously wasn't the right fit for the team. It's the coach's arse on the line so he should be supported for the team that he chooses. It's clowns like you that don’t help the situation and these types of comments don’t help kids, they make parents feel like they have a say. You should accept the decision and take on feedback to improve to make next years team. Instead you decide to play the blame game.

Reply #353220 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Block time for anon.

Reply #353222 | Report this post

i would suggest if anon is a parent he has a fairly good reason to gripe!!
i have a very good understanding of what has happened in relation to selecting this team and i would suggest there are many people that missed the team that could gripe.
beats me how the two teams that made the up coming grand final for this age group only have three representatives in the team!!

that is all

Reply #353229 | Report this post

Calls  
Years ago

Unless you were involved in the selection process, you have no idea about what went on and why it went on.

Might be because they play the same position.

Or because of the schedule the 2 best teams played the 3rd team without their best player. Therefore they are not the best 2 teams.

Or that they didnt perform at the trainings and werent able to do what the coach wanted.

Or that they didnt fit the necessary role that complemented the other players, but rather were just not quite as good as the better players at the same thing.

Or maybe someone proved that they were up to the challenge at interstate tournaments or the trainings and you haven't seen it.

Reply #353237 | Report this post

Bill Simmons  
Years ago

So Not the Anon that got blocked, were you a coach involved with selecting the team? Did you attend all training sessions to have a clear picture on why certain players were chosen?
One of the teams in the GF has two S Country kids so they have 4 State player and the other team has 3 reserves so they have 4 all up. Anyone involved with these teams understands that the 10 best players are not always chosen. Choosing a team to represent SA is different to picking local team to develop over the course of a season.

Reply #353238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'The ten best players are not always chosen' sums up S A selection succinctly.

Reply #353250 | Report this post

pugpug  
Years ago

250 - the ten best players can't be chosen, and if you understood basketball at all, you'd know that. What happens if four of the best ten are point guards? Simple, two of them miss out. It's not a matter of choosing the best ten.

Reply #353255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous, I agree 2 silvers at this yrs 20 Nats just shows the ridiculous selection decisions being made. Hell, with a population of 1million vs a population of 8 million, with massive participation rates of Victoria, SA should be miles ahead!

Reply #353258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Listen to all the sturt people protecting the decisions made to include as many sturt players as possible in the team

Reply #353265 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

Do you need a saucer of milk?

Reply #353270 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

And if that was the case, surely more Sturt players would have made it.

Its hard to accept we do a better job of development.

Oh and we do get numerous State players into teams coached by non-sturt coaches.

Reply #353272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls state selections a joke, sasi a joke, sassi head coach a joke, this forum a joke.

Reply #353340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#258 - 8 million people in Vic? That's a serious population explosion! Not even close, but apart from that, your point is well made.

Reply #353342 | Report this post

Pug, just for you, read slowly and have it translated 'The ten best players are rarely selected'. In all the positions, the ten best players are rarely selected.
258, the drover's dog won bronze. The 20 nationals are hit outs worth ziltch.
There is Victoria in Australian basketball and then there is daylight. The 20's is a carnival not a competition.
As for the U18 young ladies the selected team will struggle because in a strong year only two players would get a look in because the district standard at that level is poor.Twelve games played and only the top three competitive, with the fourth placed team winning only 5 of their games and the rest were target practice.
On the evidence Sturt are well and truly under represented, and Forestville lucky to have as many as they do.
Sturt finished top and if they roll Forestville they have every right to feel performance means nothing.
Local selections are biased and totally subjective which means they are never wrong.

Reply #353348 | Report this post

pugpug  
Years ago

Umm, I think the above poster (platosantirepublic) has completely misunderstood. Go back, read the entire thread SLOWLY as you suggested, and then the rest of us will be happy to translate for YOU if necessary. Oh dear.

Simple fact: choosing the 'ten best players' is not possible, unless you want an overload of players at certain spots, and none at others. Nobody disagrees with that, apart from whingeing parents. If you want to argue with yourself, go for it. Leave me out of it.

Reply #353350 | Report this post

pugpug  
Years ago

Oh, and while we're at it...the 20s Nats are worth zilch? Are you serious? Maybe you played u20 club ball back in the day...yeah that was worth zilch. 20 Nationals is the real deal. Try telling a stand full of scouts that 20 Nats is worth zilch. These guys are playing toi impress college and NBL scouts on the national stage. Zilch?? Haha.

Reply #353351 | Report this post

Pug. The starting five is supposed to be the five best players in the state for the positions they play. The next five are usually mirror replacements for the starting five thus you get the ten best players possible to make up a team.

Through one to five you should have the Number 1 and 2 players for that position in the state. NEVER happens.

AT all nationals you are short listed by god for 'looking at' and by twenties you were spotted,earmarked or scrapped much earlier.The men have some options but the girls go nowhere unless they are the cabbage patch height or have the Jackson feel and Australian female basketballers at WNBL level earn embarrassingly low sums. College ball suits some and is a better option than the institute but ordinary players are getting a gig and the upcoming university system for jocks in Australia is the answer.

Reply #353359 | Report this post

Vesta  
Years ago

That is a very basic understanding of team development.

As stated above, the 8th best player in the State may be the 3rd best point guard. And therefore you wont have the 10 best players. Or, you can have players that provide different qualities that are necessary in a team. More to be able to counter oppositions is plan A isnt working, or just to exploit postential weaknesses in other teams. ie if your current point guard is a very good 3 point shooter, the need for your 2 guard to be a better penetrator might become more important than if your best point guard is a poor shooter.

At the latest Sloan conference at MIT regarding analitics, it has noted that there are possibly 13 posititons in a basketball team with each individual having the ability to play multiple positions.

Your still thinking like an ignorant parent from 30 years ago who has had the game pass them by.

Reply #353360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

National championship participation is highly regarded by US colleges. Teams are often chosen to give certain players exposure, winning is secondary. The inclusion exclusion of some players is a career decision made for them by volunteer coaches who have favors to repay. Basketball in Australia fails to look at the future of the sport, have a look at team lists for U14 and U16 and see how many players quit before U18 or U20. Often this is because they are early-maturers and athletic at a young age but they are just not built to play basketball at the adult level. Committed kids and parents are often overlooked. Even NITP is overpopulated with players that are kids-of-friends, many of them don't follow through. Very tall kids, who are usually uncoordinated at a young age, are ignored in Australia because they are awkward and because the fascination with the underdog in Australia has people seeing them as having an unfair advantage. Those kids get frustrated and switch to AFL. The chickens come home to roost by the time the world championships come around.

Reply #353368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a wise well rounded view - above - that summarizes the big picture scenario - great post

Reply #353396 | Report this post

platosoffthefence  
Years ago

Vesta, your 'who's on first and what's on second' explanation could only come from a coach involved in perpetuating such nonsense. You seem more intent in impressing than anything else.
The post one or two above should be read very carefully because it sums up the state of basketball here precisely.
Using your argument a lot of first years would not play at the nationals. Perhaps the best illustration might be that over the past few years a couple of talls, both metro and country, were selected. Neither was the best tall for their group and in the metro girl she was a liability. both are wonderful girls and one has continued and improved while the other has disappeared through injury or realisation.
Come clean Vesta and admit what everyone knows that selections are influenced decisions based upon a number of factors including potential but also a number of the reasons explained by 368 and have absolutely nothing to do with the effusive nonsense you used to exonerate like minded selectors.

Reply #353412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

368 is just laughable in parts. It honestly put a smile on the dial.

"NITP is overpopulated with players that are kids-of-friends" was the most funny part."

"Very tall kids, who are usually uncoordinated at a young age, are ignored in Australia because they are awkward and because the fascination with the underdog in Australia has people seeing them as having an unfair advantage." was a good one too. I suppose this person is the first to complain when players get picked ahead of a smaller player; "purely because the are taller and nothing else".

Reply #353422 | Report this post

Bill Simmons  
Years ago

Why would you not select the 10 best players to help you win a National Championship? Early maturers should be taken care of in a different way, not thrust onto a national stage where they may not be ready for a 10 day tournament. I think these are two separate issues and yours does need addressing but I don't see how picking players that are either not physically, mentally or skilful enough just yet for 1 tournament will make or break their basketball career? There have been numerous players not make a state team at U16 or U18 level and go on to have a decent basketball career. Heck, Vic and NSW have players picked to go to AUS camps that don’t make a state team.

Reply #353424 | Report this post

Vesta  
Years ago

plats,

Why would first years not play Nationals if they are good enough?

And my experience is that the coaches are all looking to win so that they make National Camp as a coach.

You dont get anything for picking a kid purely on potential if they can't compete at Nationals, and your team fails. It is a 8 game tournament and playing 8 games isn't going to make you significantly better.

Those selection are 'in your opinion' based on potential, but might otherwise be due to position and need of a certian skill like rebounding or interior defence. Again, it is only 'your opinion' that these playes were selected for reasons other than best chance for team success. But it is possible that the player was able to better perform what the coach asked for than another players.

Again, it is obvious that you are a parent whose kid didnt make it and are rolling out the excuses which probably led them to not making it in the first place. Who has little understanding of coaching and wouldn't be willing to put their hand up and be held accountable for decisions.

PS: I doubt any coach would suggest that;
a) they always get selection right. NO matter their intentions.
b) a different coach with a different team structure and/or philosophy would select the same team.

It is subjective and therefore only possible to get right in retrospect.

Reply #353458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people get carried away over kids basketball?

It's all ones opinion..doesn't mean it's right! I think blue is a better color than black..does that mean its better full stop?

I think the problem in SA is that if u make a state team in U14s you pretty much have your spot stitched up for the rest of your age group! I also think those running the top programs should also look at their coaching methods! Yelling and screaming at players is very old fashioned! No one responds to it and further more it isn't coaching!

Reply #353585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

585 , you aren't getting carried away over kid's basketball are you? You also aren't telling me that our top basketball program is built on yelling and screaming at kids are you?
Please keep this quiet mate someone might believe you.

Reply #353616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Time to introduce random drug testing for S A selectors!

Reply #358495 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754