Led the recent Under 20's in scoring.

Can anyone tell me more about this guy?

Age, height, position etc.

Where will he be playing next? AIS?

Topic #27666 | Report this topic

Joker  
Years ago

He is 18, 6 foot 4, shooting guard.
Plays for Knox D League and looking to go to college.
Can shoot the ball well and was a member of the U/17 Australian team.

Reply #352353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The real story of the tournament was Majok Deng.

Absolutely killed it in the final. Going to be starting small forward/power forward for Australia one day.

Reply #352355 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I doubt Deng will ever make the Australian team however he could become a solid player in the NBL.

Remember that he does well in juniors because there is barely anyone else his size. Also take into account that the best under 20's players don't play in the nationals tournament due to NCAA rules.

In the NBL his lack of strength will be exposed and his advantage of height will be gone with guys taller or a similar height.

Having said that the Sixers should seriously target him as a development player next year. He would bring excitement and interest to the organisation with a strong support of local Sudanese followers.

Reply #352357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dyson is very overrated, sure he can shoot the ball but he hardly gives you anything else and tends to play "me ball" instead of "team ball".
Good point made above about the quality of Under 20 Nationals, especially this year, it was the worst quality i have ever seen, especially compared to 2011 where it was very strong.

Reply #352438 | Report this post

IwasThere  
Years ago

"I was there" at the Nationals and to say the quality was below last year is irrelevant.These are the best players in that age group in the country.The NCAA rules do not play a part.Majok Deng was by far the best player for SA but only in the first half when he scored almost all his 23 points.In the 2nd half he was taken out of the game completely by the Vic's players No 7 & 8.As for Taylor Dyson his stats speak for themselves.Not just at these Nationals but also in the D League (topped the season scoring)and National Schools Competition.As for "me ball" Anonymous,what are you on about, he is a shooting gaurd, thats his job on court.Just in case you did'nt know,the highest score wins the game!!

Reply #352496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets make one thing clear, Taylor Dyson, without doubt, had a great tournament and was key in the Vic's winning the National Championship.

On another subject, if you guys wanna talk about "me ball" then try focusing on starting guard Lucas Barker, who in my opinion (like under 18's) almost ended up costing the Victorian side a championship due to selfish play & wanting to score and play the HERO to keep his "averages" as high as possible.

Reply #352506 | Report this post

J Smith  
Years ago

After watching many of the mens games I think that the Vics seemed to hang onto the ball a lot and scoreing for themselves seemed to be the priority.
This seemed to start at the point and left little time on the shot clock as their PG did a lot of dribbling for little gain and last option was to give it to a shooter when no options left.Most of the inside scoreing was from rebounds or when the bigs took it upon themselves.I thiink it was Dyson who had a really sweet shot and when Australian basketball is screaming gor genuine go to shooters is a player that should be developed.
Suer you may not get the whole deck of cards but he seems to have the confidence and ability to finish naturally and if I was coaching him I would give him the licence to pull the trigger at will

Reply #352508 | Report this post

hola  
Years ago

@Iwasthere. New NCAA rules have kept some players from playing and hence lowered the standard of the U20 competition this year. It's not up for debate. Though I was also there, and there was still some pretty amazing talent there.

Reply #352516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You shouldn't blame some of these kids for playing a bit of "me ball". I know a few of the Vic boys are trying to get a college scholarship and with the colleges being so focused on "stats" and with this tournament being one of the last chances to impress, its only natural for them to try to get some good numbers.

Reply #352572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dyson is being heavily recruited by a number of US colleges, think he's too old for an AIS scholarship. He was a dominant force all tournament. To say he's overrated is preposterous, from what I saw he brought so much to a team. I was really impressed with him defensively and he led all players in scoring. Majok was another I was really impressed with.

Reply #352682 | Report this post

BBallRUS  
Years ago

The real story of the tournament was Majok Deng.

Give me a break. He scored 21 points in the first half. Number 7 (Venky Jois SEABL youth player of 2011 - Championship not D League)defended him out of contention. That may be why he was awarded the Bob Staunton Medal.

New NCAA rules have kept some players from playing and hence lowered the standard of the U20 competition this year. It's not up for debate.

No way. If you were there, you know that is not true. Sure Daniel Hill couldn't play because he did Year 12 over two years and needed to enrol with EWU to avoid losing a years eligibilty but NSW didn't make the final last year either. Mitchell Riggs left for the US early but wasn't a certainity to make the team. The Victorian team was a tight talented bunch including Taylor Dyson. Don't forget the defensive skills of Owen Odigie, Lucas Barker and Anthony Fisher. Great team effort by the Victorians.

Reply #354174 | Report this post

Taylor will be playing with Hartford in Div 1 NCAA next year.

The kid can go. If you had bothered to watch him recently you would notice he has lifted his defensive intensity, and improved as a scorer - not just a shooter any longer.

As for Lucas Barker - another kid who is proving he has got it. Very much in the Josh Wilcher mold though - short lefty who is a legit scorer and reasonable defender and will be good at SEABL but struggle for opportunities in the NBL I imagine.

Reply #363009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754