TrickDaddy
Years ago

The A League Drama

For basketball fans in this country is it now time for our national body to push ahead with a big marketing campaign heading into the NBL playoffs en route to the Olympics.

With the A League now losing momentum and having Gold Coast booted out of the competition which is refreshing considering the dramas we have had with our national league in the past few years please Basketball Australia do something now when a rival sport is at the weakest it has been for quite some time.

Topic #27679 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you going to fund it?

Reply #352463 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok, so while this thread is really not about the A League drama, I just want to say how good the a-league drama is. 'We Kick Harder" - priceless.

Reply #352474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Football is flourishing in Australia right now. Clive Palmer might be a very smart business man but all he is doing is trying to stir up controversy to give reasoning behind the introduction of his new business, "Football Australia." The bottom line is that the crowds in the A-League are at an all time high as are ratings on Fox Sports. The quality of the domestic league is also improving and on the up. In addition, on the international stage Australia is set to regain its number 1 world ranking in Asia when the next world rankings come out (pretty sure it's next week). Not to mention over 24 thousand people attended Aami Park on a rainy week night in Melbourne last night to watch the Socceroos in what was a match which the Socceroos had nothing to gain.

To say that Australian football is at its weakest in years is nothing but a fallacy.

Reply #352493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Football is flourishing in Australia right now."
Not true, since the wasted $46m that was the publicly funded World Cup bid, the general public has lost interest in this sport.

"Clive Palmer might be a very smart business man but all he is doing is trying to stir up controversy to give reasoning behind the introduction of his new business, "Football Australia.""
Probably right. But another reason why people like Clive shouldn't own sporting teams.

"The bottom line is that the crowds in the A-League are at an all time high as are ratings on Fox Sports."
Where are your numbers? My numbers show different.

"The quality of the domestic league is also improving and on the up."
Subjective but not everyone agrees with that.

"In addition, on the international stage Australia is set to regain its number 1 world ranking in Asia when the next world rankings come out (pretty sure it's next week)."
LOL Number 1 world ranking, in Asia. But still in the 30-40 bracket in the actual world ranking.

"Not to mention over 24 thousand people attended Aami Park on a rainy week night in Melbourne last night to watch the Socceroos in what was a match which the Socceroos had nothing to gain."
More proof the sport has decreased, with the government funding, Westfield money and wait for it, massive corporate and media support thanks to Lowry, 24,000 is a lot less then previous internationals.

"To say that Australian football is at its weakest in years is nothing but a fallacy."
Anyone can say anything, when not showing some form of evidence. Certainly not at its weakest, but it has some pretty major issues to fact in the coming months.

A few questions/facts for you Anon:

How do you justify the sport receiving another $8million from the government recently to keep the A League alive if the sport is booming as you claim?

More government money for a sport that the general public is losing interest in. I can only imagine what other sports are saying now that Clive has stated publicly what many already knew. Soccer is alive in Australia because the Labor Federal Government funds it. End of story.

If only other international sports, with better world rankings could get some of the money that this government throws at Lowry and his backyard organisation.

This is just the tip, Soccer has more pain to go yet.

Reply #352500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soccer has been sliding for some time now. It's ratings look improved this year but take away the early Victory games withe Kewell factor and they are mediocre. Crowds continue to fall and soccer is on the precipice of what basketball went through a few years back.

Reply #352509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Btw, I don't think soccer is that much a rival code. If basketball properly harnesses the grass roots of it's own sport then it can worry about competing for other sports fans.

Reply #352510 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Nice post, do you sit in the Phillipines and write positive things about organisations on forums for a living?

Football faces a couple of big issues in my opinion.

a) A-league is losing money and crowds are not good. 11000 average this year down from a high of 15000 per game a number of years back. In this, the Kewell/Emerton factor has not really helped. While average crowds are up on last year, removing Townsville accounts for most of that.

b) We are not producing the superstars we were. Cahill, Kewell, Viduka, etc were all names that could have played for almost any EPL or European club. Even the tortured Bosnich was a superstar before his issues. (Australian Basketball went through a similar stage as well in the early part of last decade)

c) The games local participants remain disengaged with the elite game in this country - not to the extent that basketball does, but with massive participation the logic is that A-league venues should be full.

Reply #352525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not true, since the wasted $46m that was the publicly funded World Cup bid, the general public has lost interest in this sport."
How can you say that the general public has lost interest when crowds are up on last year, as well as ratings are up on last year. What you've said doesn't match the stats.

"Where are your numbers? My numbers show different."
Both Andy Harper and Simon Hill on Fox Sports FC have said multiple times on the record that A-League ratings are at an all time high. According to the link below, A-League TV ratings are up 62 percent on last season.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/11/25/a-leagues-tv-picture-remains-fuzzy/

"Subjective but not everyone agrees with that."
I'd love to hear your opinion on the standard of the league. It's a lot better league than what it was even going back to just last season. The overall quality of the matches are improved, there are more players receiving international call ups which reflect the standard of the league. I agree with you that this is debatable but I guess at the end of the day this is a debate about the state of the popularity of the sport to the general public as a whole and not necessarily a quality debate. Nonetheless, you would think that if the quality were poorer, ratings and crowds would be down.

"LOL Number 1 world ranking, in Asia. But still in the 30-40 bracket in the actual world ranking."
Australia are currently ranked 22nd in the world in football. FIFA has around 200 ranked international teams. The FIBA website has Australia ranked 9th in the world but only 80 teams are ranked according to the FIBA website. Change both rankings to percentages and the rankings are pretty even. Australian football has a slight edge based on the maths I did (Australian football team ahead of 89% of ranked FIFA teams as opposed to the Boomers being ranked ahead of 88.75% of ranked FIBA teams.

"More proof the sport has decreased, with the government funding, Westfield money and wait for it, massive corporate and media support thanks to Lowry, 24,000 is a lot less then previous internationals."
How is that proof the sport has decreased? Saudi Arabia are a minnow team. They are not an Argentina who can draw 80 thousand plus at the MCG. The game was held at Aami Park, it only seats 30 thousand anyway. On a rainy night, against a minnow team, on a weeknight (kickoff at 830 didn't help either), and they still managed 24 thousand people in attendance. That's an achievement, definitely not proof that the sport is decreasing. Last year in a friendly against New Zealand at Adelaide Oval, around 20 thousand people showed up. Adelaide Oval and Aami Park have around the same attendance capacity. So to say that 24k is a lot less than previous internationals is true if you compare it to the games they played a few years ago against ELITE Argentina and Greece (who although aren't an elite team, Melbourne is full of them) so of course they would draw a big crowd in that respect!

How do you justify the sport receiving another $8million from the government recently to keep the A League alive if the sport is booming as you claim?
I'm not saying it's booming. I'm saying that it's on the up and improving. I don't know where the 8 million is exactly going so I can't comment on that matter but it wouldn't surprise me to see that money to go setting up a new team in Western Sydney.

"Soccer is alive in Australia because the Labor Federal Government funds it. End of story."
No, soccer is alive in Australia because Frank Lowy had enough brains to recognize that football is the biggest sport in the world and that there is a massive market in Australia for it. If Basketball had the same potential as football, how come no reputable businessman with lots of $$$ has invested in the sport?

"Crowds continue to fall and soccer is on the precipice of what basketball went through a few years back."
That's incorrect I'm afraid. Of the 10 teams in the A-League, 8 of the clubs have increased average crowds.

HO

"A-league is losing money and crowds are not good. 11000 average this year down from a high of 15000 per game a number of years back. In this, the Kewell/Emerton factor has not really helped. While average crowds are up on last year, removing Townsville accounts for most of that."
Well yes, I agree with you that the A-League is losing money. At the same time, it is still in its infancy and being established. The amount of companies who make a profit from the early stages is minimal. Money is being pumped into the league because it needs to be developed properly. Profits will come eventually, but right now patience is required and the businessman of the FFA understand this. How has the Kewell and Emerton factor not helped? Melbourne Victory home crowds are up an average of 6 thousand per game and Sydney's home crowds have gone up 4 thousand per game (when comparing to last season). As I said earlier, 8 of the 10 clubs have increased crowd numbers this year, hence removing Townsville from the league doesn't answer why average crowds are up.

"We are not producing the superstars we were. Cahill, Kewell, Viduka, etc were all names that could have played for almost any EPL or European club. Even the tortured Bosnich was a superstar before his issues. (Australian Basketball went through a similar stage as well in the early part of last decade)."
This part I tend to agree with. Players like Kewell, Viduka etc don't come of trees and although the international ranking is still relatively high, the amount of youth players aren't coming through. There are still some good youth prospects coming through although I don't think that they have the class of a Kewell or a Cahill. However, I would say that there are more "intermediate quality" youngsters coming through. Youth systems that Adelaide United and the Central Coast Mariners are currently implementing and beginning to develop are going to help the next crop of youngsters make it overseas. But yes, as of right now, this is a pressing concern and definitely needs to be addressed (which I believe it is).

"The games local participants remain disengaged with the elite game in this country - not to the extent that basketball does, but with massive participation the logic is that A-league venues should be full."
Are you sure that they're disengaged with the elite game? Given that if you probably looked at the demographics of the kids who play football, a large number come from areas that are poor. Their families simply can't afford to pay for a ticket. Just taking an example, look at Elizabeth in SA. The amount of football clubs there is huge, I can't think of around 15-20 just off the top of my head, all with junior setups. Problem is that the families of the junior kids who play can't afford to go to the games to see Adelaide United. I do think that there needs to be more $$$ invested to link the A-League with grassroots but it is far from what happens with basketball and the juniors there (which imo is an absolute farce).

Reply #352593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Basketball had the same potential as football, how come no reputable businessman with lots of $$$ has invested in the sport?
Firstly, a few have at one point or another - Bendat, Groves, Blackwell, the Dragons duo, etc.

Also, this isn't necessarily about potential or making money (if it was, there are countless things other than football that won't lose money) - it's about personal interest and one big money person in particular happened to favour football.

Reply #352596 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Average crowds of 11 per game this year to date is well down on 15k average in 07/08.

Here are the year by year for you, from Austadiums.

Year Aggregate Average High Low
05|06 1,047,233 11,636 41,689 1,922
06|07 1,264,681 14,052 55,436 1,632
07|08 1,381,002 15,344 36,354 6,252
08|09 1,158,273 13,014 53,273 4,433
09|10 1,482,905 10,443 44,560 2,616
10|11 1,504,245 8,746 50,168 1,003
11|12 1,233,528 10,726 40,351 1,141

You said crowds in the a-league are at an all time high. They are not.

Townsville contributed to the terrible average crowd last year. Remove one of your worst drawing teams and you automatically get a bump.

To give context, that worst crowd ever in A-league history, 1003 people, turned up to Dairy Farmers stadium to watch their beloved Fury lose to Brisbane on 8/2/2011, just over a year ago. The Fury averaged 5400 in their two years in the league, but 2010/11 was worse than the first.

Kewell and Emerton are superstars of a golden era for the socceroos. They should have lifted crowds by 2-3k per game but Townsville arguably have done more than them simply by dropping out of the league.

I can explain 8 out of 10 teams being up in numbers partly by the fact that they are not hosting Townsville, who last year were statistically the "worst" drawer away from home. Home fans would come out and watch Brisbane and Melbourne, but not Townsville.

The Kewell and Emerton factor will now wane rapidly. The gawkers have seen Kewell play in Adelaide and Brisbane and Sydney now - and are less likely to do so again.

As for engagement, every SBS fan forum I have seen has lamented this. Perhaps they cannot afford it, but we all know that Collingwood supporters cannot afford toothpaste - how come they draw so well.

Reply #352597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A-League has hit a bad patch for sure. But it's headed back up. The loss of North Queensland Fury and Gold Coast United - oh, you mean the teams that had close to no support at all? It's called getting rid of the dead-wood. Good. I'm glad they're gone. Evolution at its finest.

Gold Coast will be replaced by Western Sydney within the year. The A-League will be strengthened and more than likely better than ever.

A second derby in the A-League? Not to mention a new rivalry. The melbourne derby games average 30,000+ people a game. The Grand Final (Brisbane vs. Central Coast) last season registered an attendance of over 50,000 (sold out).

What was the highest attendance this season/ last season for an NBL game?

When it comes down to it. Funding/ investment will be prioritised by support. Similar to the principle of majority rules. The sport(s) with more support will always get more attention/ more investment. NBL doesn't have that. My guess is. It never will and for good reason. It's shit.

Reply #352599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So far, the only thing you guys supporting the NBL have managed to prove is that the A-League hasn't had a good season compared to it's previous seasons in some areas - kind of. On a technicality. So far the only thing you've established is that the -League could've had a better season in terms of support.

I'm still waiting for you guys to explain why the NBL should be given the funding instead of the A-League.

If this were an actual debate, you'd be losing. Because all you've done is present some rebuttal without supporting your own case. Start the argument where it should start. Rather than saying "The A-League doesn't deserve the money because of .... (fill in the blank)." Say; "The NBL deserves the money instead of the A-League because .... (fill in the blank)" Only problem is you can't really start the argument. Because there is no reason for the NBL to receive the funding instead of the A-League.

The amount of people who support Basketball in this debate is the same amount of people who rock up to NBL games. No one.

Reply #352601 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it's pretty clear that A-League has failed for the amount of money that has been invested in it. It is simply not providing anything close to a return, and only Lowy and Fed Government money has kept a number of teams afloat.

The model of high spending/high return is not working because there simply isnt a big market for soccer in Australia.

In coming years expect to see spending fall and FFA try to find a more sustainable model so their flagship can survive.

Reply #352611 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, you are changing the debate. You'd be losing for irrelevance. When the whip comes out and simply proves your facts wrong "crowds are at an all time high", that is when the Adjudicator starts marking you down.

Your response is to tell us it will be better in the future. Sorry, the a-league had a high in 2007-8. It is hard to see it getting anywhere back near there, whether they kill Gold Coast and bring in West Sydney or whatever. It is setting to its market point, which is probably average crowds of between 9k-12k, but to be profitable it needs 16-18k.

I don't think anyone has been trying here to make this an a-league versus nbl thing. I even said the NBL was more disconnected from grassroots than the A-league is.

Certainly no one has been arguing here that basketball should get more government funding than football - where did that premise come from? What is known, is that Football has received significantly more government funding than any other sport in the last 7 years and that is a cause of major resentment considering they have also had three major reviews in that period.

So what is the debate topic? Is it about all the wonderful success football is having? Is it about government funding for a-league and nbl? Is it about who has bigger crowds? Or is it about the debacles that football keeps lurching between....?

Paul is spot on. The a-league is a chronic failure for the significant costs it has incurred its owners. Last year apparently the a-league teams lost 20 million combined. If AFL teams lost 20 million combined the AFL can manage that, the FFA, with revenues of less than 100 million, and losses the last three years, cannot.

And BTW, just to be very clear, the Federal Government as a principle, does not support the establishment or ongoing running of professional leagues with funding - the exception to that being the w-league.

Reply #352630 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rebecca Wilson in the paper over the weekend:

Football Federation Australia is in disarray. Two expansion teams have folded and now there are only nine left in a competition that is so badly managed it has become a sporting embarrassment. In all, four teams have hit the skids in recent years.

The Gold Coast should never, ever, have been handed a licence for an A-League team.
For several years, the FFA has been lurching from one disaster to another.

It has no apparent blueprint for the future and no idea of how to build on the sport's appeal to a massive audience.
The last $8 million was on top of the $45 million this lot took from taxpayers' money to secure a single vote for the 2018 World Cup, an exercise so completely stupid that it defies belief.

Reply #352831 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Isaac - which paper? The AFL Daily (sorry - the Herald Sun) perhaps?

Reply #352835 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'll chuck in a few possible reasons for the NBL and the A-League to be under-achieving
- better-quality stuff is too available, and kids grow up with the best (NBA, EPL, etc) and can't cope with the ordinary stuff
- too expensive and time-consuming to go
- kids have too many distractions
- kids are bombarded by constant change and need novelty value to pay attention; the novelty value wears off after a few years, so they switch onto something else

Reply #352836 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sunday Mail or Saturday Advertiser - can't remember. A lot of contestable crap I'm sure, but doesn't paint a rosy picture.

Reply #352838 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:00 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754