Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats fined $3k for criticism of refs

The National Basketball League has fined the Perth Wildcats $3,000 for breaching the NBL's Rules and Regulations with regards to Public Criticism.

The NBL office issued the fine after comments made to media by Perth Head Coach Rob Beveridge following Perth’s 101-99 overtime loss to the New Zealand Breakers at Challenge Stadium on Sunday 4 March.

The NBL Rules and regulations state that "No NBL Club, executive officer, official, employee, coach, referee, player, or team shall offer public criticism of game referees except through proper channels of the NBL, Referees Manager or Referee Supervisors."

Topic #27709 | Report this topic

dude  
Years ago

NBL should be fined for the crap job they have done over the years.

Reply #352883 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Would be great if the money actually went back into the education of ref's etc

Reply #352895 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I think `Cats can count themselves lucky. NRL & AFL teams and coaches usually get up to a $10k fine for criticizing the protected species, and coaches often cop a separate fine as well...Not that I agree with it.

Players and coaches f**k up and are subject to public criticism and I fully believe refs or umpires (whichever sport it may be) should be as well.

Reply #352905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The worst refs so far ive seen! Bevo hardly sayz it out loud! But, ive never seen him goin off like that! Could on him! Cats have been burnt alot ove tymz at hm! Those 3 shouldnt even ref a game this season! That last play cost perth top spot! Rigged guess we got 2 win it in nz!

Reply #352909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more with Kobe24 and HoldenV8. Are they implying that refs never make mistakes by not allowing them to be subject to criticism? In all sports, not just basketball. If the powers that be just once, came out and held refs accountable, I think there would be less ref bashing on forums like this because we'd at least feel like there was some action taken.

Reply #352910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did he say that was so bad?

Reply #352911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the nbl refs are horrible...they should watch the game replays and see all the crap calls they make...qld refs possibly the worst! stop interpreting! they are men, be consistent...half the ppl who ref have never played the game, how can u truely understand the flow of a game that u have never played, what ru doing it for??? money, get a real job! they are ruining the game! no wonder players get frustrated! and stop with the power trip! call the game, and let the fans watch the players, they are not there to watch u ruin a game!

Reply #352912 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

From the sounds of it (not having seen it yet) I would say he would have made some sort of strong reference, if not coming saying it directly, to bad refereeing decisions being a big factor in Perth's loss to the Breakers.

Reply #352914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you bother to read the article:

"No NBL Club, executive officer, official, employee, coach, referee, player, or team shall offer public criticism of game referees except through proper channels of the NBL, Referees Manager or Referee Supervisors."

NBL clubs have a process for dealing with referee complaints. They have an opportunity no fan does, they get to contact and discuss the issues with the Referee Manager. All Bevo had to do was go through the right channels.

Reply #352918 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

the umpiring yest was equally bad to both sides. To say the refereeing cost Perth the game is pathetic. They led by 12 at one stage- they lost it by being beaten by a better team PERIOD!

Reply #352920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How many players have been referees? How many coaches? Refs are always explaining the rules to the players in game...

Reply #352924 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Most players and coaches would know the rules but it doesn't stop them questioning the refs when a call goes against them no matter what sport is being played. That's when I tend to see refs explaining the rules and why the call went against them

Regardless if the refs got it wrong or not in the `Cats v Breakers game, if Perth were good enough they would have held the Breakers out and won the game. They led by 9 at the end of the 3rd and lost in OT. In fact they still led by 5 with 1:24 left in regulation time, they were just overrun at the end and had nothing left to fight with.

Beveridge might have been right in what he said (again not having seen it I don't know, just guessing really) but was it also frustration coming out with the Wildcats recent lack of form? If it was he chose the wrong place and time to let it out didn't he.

Reply #352927 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

HoldenV8

Regardless if the refs got it wrong or not in the `Cats v Breakers game, if Perth were good enough they would have held the Breakers out and won the game. They led by 9 at the end of the 3rd and lost in OT. In fact they still led by 5 with 1:24 left in regulation time, they were just overrun at the end and had nothing left to fight with.
The Wildcats were good enough. They were good enough to get to overtime and good enough to lose by only 2 points. If those 2 points were the result of a bad call, then they were robbed of the win.

Reply #352934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People dont realy understand, u guy's that talk on here, u guys prob never been to challlenge and watch the game live and how much they refs controll the game here!! A disgrace!! Embarrasinment to the nbl!! If i was bevo i wouldve taken the team off the court!! u breathed on cj he got a foul!! Lisch got cained wit the last shot in ot n got dick!!! Ppl dont like the way perth play dont watch it!! Dont go saying its an excuse cause it happpens all the tym. Why no 1 sayz how nz play??? There a dog team boucher n vukona are act hard play hard but u touch vukona his like a bitch!! Every 1 that wins in perth at the end ove the game thy celebrate like they have 1 the grand final!! I never see perth in other places jump up n down hugs n kises after thy win on the road!! I just hope we have another crack at the breakers!! Deep down perth will get them in a series n i hope the cop the fouls on there home court n its on tv so all u ppl out there can see how shit the refs are!! Perth still the bes team in AUSTRALIA!!! Just dont talk crap bout the cats out ove ure teams are crap!! We play hard teams got step up up!!!

Reply #352935 | Report this post

Stonne  
Years ago

Anon- we've all been to perth and seen the home town calls that the Cats always seem to get! Yesterday it was evenly bad, suck it up, NZ were better and ffs don't use the "Australia" line- it is the NBL- and NZ participate- they pay their fees, bring in crowds and are the reigning champs so you can close your book on that line!

Reply #352938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referees need to be held accountable for their decisions and actions.

They can change and influence the course of a game, and with wins and losses coming down to the almighty dollar there is a lot at stake.

Coaches and players go to tribunals for inexcusable words or actions.
Where is the control of referees??

Reply #352940 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Every single team has been on the wrong end of some bad calls. Refs are human, they make mistakes.
It sucks when it effects your team but Perth have had it sweet at home for a long time and whinging isn't going to make a ref better or the result change.

Reply #352942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referee's ARE held accountable for their performances, anyone saying otherwise hasn't got a clue. There MUST be a process for dealing with it privately, nobody is muzzling the coaches from complaining, it just needs to be done the right way.

Karen Dalton had a grizzle a while ago which resulted in change, unfortunately with little impact because the NBL Ref's bough into ref the WNBL weren't any better than the ones they replaced, not that there was much of an issue to begin with.

People need to accept Ref's will make mistakes for a host of reasons, but usually not as many as the players do. If people can learn to accept this and focus on the game we'll be better off as a sport.

Reply #352944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate reading the statement that "refs make less mistakes than players do"!! That is the biggest cop out ever trotted out by the fraternity.

Refs should make less mistakes than players. When was the last time a ref had to make a call whilst being buffeted or blocked across the baseline? ( apart from the cameraman lol). When was the last time the ref was trying to make position to make a call in the backcourt he was hampered by a hand check???

The nature of reffing and playing are totally different so to compare mistakes between the two are just a joke. Referees should make less errors because they only need to tick off a few things. The basic one is their mechanics. If they are in the right position generally they make the right call. Most errors at every level come down to either calling from out of position or not seeing the whole play and guessing. Simple as that.

But to trot out comparisons between player errors and referee errors is a joke

Reply #352946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just really hope Lisch doesn't get the 'protection' beveridge wants and a foul gets called every time someone touches him!!

Reply #352950 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coaches and players go to tribunals for inexcusable words or actions.
Where is the control of referees??
From the referee supervisors, evaluators, etc - the press release from the league mentions that and it's in my first post in this thread. Every serious competition would have the same. If refs are disciplined, it'd be in private. If they're rebuked or re-rostered, same.

Coaches and players are told to take up their issues directly with the league and those people rather than in the media. This is pretty common in other leagues. Coaches and players are fined for criticism of the refs in the NBA, for example.

Some put up other sports and especially the NBA as having a far superior standard of refereeing (well, no shit - there's a lot more money in it and stronger support for the sport). Yet with my first Google search within seconds I'd found fans online labelling NBA refs morons and stating them to be seriously sub-par.

There will always be questionable calls in a game like basketball. One side will always disagree with their treatment. The league is growing more physical and this makes the game harder to call.

Reply #352951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we all know that coaches and clubs have the appropriate channels to deal with poor refereeing privately. I think the issue is, if players and coaches are open to being publicly judged on their performance, why are they exempt?

I didn't see the Perth v NZ game. I doubt the reffing cost them the game. But refs do have the ability to impact the game and anyone who says otherwise has little to no experience in the game.

I don't think it's entirely the refs fault that they are so bad. I think it starts from the top and the directives handed down to them.

Reply #352952 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I must say that I think that for the most part the officiating has been pretty reasonable at NBL games this year. The past couple of Sixer games I have barely even noticed that there were refs out there. This could be in part though because a decade of the Sixers being terrible has decreased significantly the amount that I care about their games.

There are mechanisms in place for coaches to voice their disapproval, and Beveridge didn't follow them.

There are a couple of older refs the league should be pensioning off though in Shiels and Hunt. Hunt has been a fantastic ref, but he's calling more shocking games than good ones these days. Shiels approach to game management and player/coach relations has no place in any league, anywhere.

Reply #352953 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

First home game I missed all season so I cant directly comment on the standard of reffing, but I was told there were alot of blatant no calls in critical stages of the game.

If you want to hear what Beveridge said it would be in the press release on the wildcats website ( I think, unless it has been edited out, cbf looking). Funny thing is, Nick Marvin said the club will pay whatever fine is handed down before it was even reported.

Reply #352955 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Do refs get the chance to complain about coaches' and players' behaviour, or is the dumping on all one-way?

Reply #352956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches and players get scrutinized by fans and the media, so do the refs, this thread is a perfect example of scrutiny.

To say Ref's don't get scrutinized is ignorant, the fans and media are all over them (look in this thread) and in private the Referee coaches do too. Teams also lodge complaints using the appropriate means.

Do opposition coaches and players heavily scrutinize opposition coaches and players openly in the media? NO. Doing it to the refs is the same.

Ive never heard a ref publicly criticize a coach for a bad strategy or player for multiple errors, why should the coaches and players get a free kick against the refs in the media?

Reply #352959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the game was intense with a lot of physical play not called for a foul. This is how Perth have played for years and got away with it, particularly in Perth. Now that the Refs choose to call the game the same way for both teams Perth don't like it. Guys like Redhage, Robbins and Martin constantly hack, grab and bump the player they are guarding. If it is going to be let go by the refs then other teams will play the same.

Reply #352978 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

About time something got called against them at home.

Reply #353071 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What Bevo's comments were mainly about was the shocking no-call with about ten seconds left that saw Lisch tripped by a clumsy defensive effort from Vukona. All game, the refs had been hot on contact like that to the ball carrier, and they'd called a foul every time CJ Bruton did his best to accentuate the contact, so to have it go unwhistled was infuriating at such a crucial stage. It took the shine off the game of the season.

The sight of the three refs running off the court at the end of the game, hurdling chairs, was enough in my mind to show that they know they stuffed up and the NBL should be making a statement on the blunder. The fine was deserved as it is against the rules to make the comments.

Reply #353074 | Report this post

take2  
Years ago

Not really appropriate given other codes take this far more seriously. Should have been 10 or 20k.

The Wildcats have gotten used to good reffing in their favour for some years now. Seems not every ref wants to be a bum-sucker to the Cats now.

Nothing wrong with that

Reply #353118 | Report this post

Aba  
Years ago

@ the situation
I believe the referees head straight to the change rooms after every game.
What do you want them to do, hang around and mingle with the fans ?

I got the impression Rob wants many more fouls called throughout the game which I thought was surprising as it could hurt Perth in the playoffs if the officiating is tighter on Calls

Reply #353131 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Aba, its pretty pointless responding to you when you chose to ignore the crucial part of my comments re: refs running off the court.

Bevo asked for consistency. No coach would disagree with him. As I said, he was miffed that a call which they'd been hot on all game was ignored in the dying seconds. I'm not going to debate who does or doesn't get favourable calls at home, but if the refs make at least three calls in a game for similar contact then that must be called at the end of the game too, and that is why he made the comments he did.

Reply #353142 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jason Kidd complains about the refs having no respect for the Mavs. Highlights a call he didn't like late in a crucial game. Here's the story

Happens everywhere.

Reply #353156 | Report this post

Aba  
Years ago

@ the situation, no ignoring your point however I just think it's natural for the refs to get off the court quickly if there was some heat in the end game.

Earlier this season there was a game where a ref got in to an altercation with a fan while walking off the court so I reckon they would have orders to not stick around long when things are tense.

I don't disagree with you re Beverage wanting consistency , but listening to his press conference he is clearly asking for more calls to be made , consistently throughout the game.

Reply #353281 | Report this post

changed  
Years ago

The OZhoops site has fan's emaling the NBL complaining

Reply #353309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the complaints didnt do much with 2 of the 3 back there sunday

Reply #353338 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fans following the correct process more than the Wildcats...

As everyone knows, if you want to slam the refs, do it in a timeout during a televised game. A classic Smyth move.

Reply #353343 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:00 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754