Big Ads
Years ago

Should Sixers throw James Harvey a lifeline?

I understand the Blaze and Harvey are likely to part ways at the end season's end.

Experience and a reliable shooting guard have been touted as two deficiencies of this season's Sixers campaign.

Given his injuries over the past two seasons and, with all respect to James, the possibility his body is no longer up to the rigour of a full season, do fans consider this a bad call (I cast my mind back to Lenard Copeland's sojourn in Adelaide) or one that "might have legs", at the right price of course.

Personally I couldn't see Harvey and Clarke happily co-existing and unfortunately suspect Harvey's best is well behind him but stranger things......

Topic #27719 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldnt touch it, and id assume Harvey and Clarke will co exist on the NBL unemployment line.

Reply #353089 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No.

Reply #353090 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

After his surgery i'd be very surprised if he plays in the NBL again.

Reply #353091 | Report this post

Ceres 64  
Years ago

If Harvey pulls up as well after surgery as everyone seems to think he will, then there will be offers.
No reason why 36'ers shouldn't be one of those. Don't have to make a decision till June-ish.

Reply #353092 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

No

Reply #353093 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Will go to Kings with Heal no doubt.

Reply #353100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His calves are shot and when you're a SG and they go it's time to give it up.

Maher was doing hammy's & calves all the time towards the end there and it wasn't great seeing him go out like that with how much it can impact on jump shots.

Reply #353106 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

NO!
The last thing the 36ers need is an old injury prone shooting guard.

Reply #353111 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

sounds like a perfect fit for the hawks

Reply #353115 | Report this post

take2  
Years ago

Given we got lurch (Helliwell) for a season,Harvey has to be better value than Helliwell.

Reply #353117 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

if he could get fit enough to play a bit part off the bench yes. The guy can put the ball in the hole and has experience unfortunately I think he will struggle to play a full season again

Reply #353121 | Report this post

Ceres 64  
Years ago

His calves are anything but "shot" and he is one the fittest guys in the league. The ankle op will solve that problem. He has a couple of solid years left but will go to the Kings I think. The leadership role is also needed up there, badly. If JK stays on he needs a solid VC.

Reply #353124 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Play percentages on this one, too old too risky to introduce into a new system.

Reply #353136 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

No Thanks! He's too injury prone for my liking and I wouldn't be happy if we spent more times on the sidelines injured rather than playing.

Reply #353138 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Hell no!

Reply #353141 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Clarke & Harvey would kill each other. Clarke cant handle anyone that would have his own views or carry any sort of maintenance!

Reply #353146 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ceres, if he was so fit and such a leader, why wouldn't the Blaze keep him? They appear to have a problem with him.

Reply #353155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably because he is the highest paid player on the roster this season (yes you read that right) and he wont hang around for what the Blaze are offering moving forward

Reply #353159 | Report this post

poorharvey  
Years ago

James Harvey could have had a stellar career if it were not for injuries. No one has mentioned his shoulder that is still troublesome. Ongoing calf issues usually end up with ongoing hamstring and achilles issues.
With good operations and ongoing treatment he could still fill a role in an NBL side for 2-3 more seasons. But that will not be a starring role by any stretch (pun intended) of the imagination.
Sad but true- The fittest guys are usually the ones that suffer the niggling injuries that eventually snuff out their careers. Working harder to keep fit can equal wear and tear on the calves. A good arguement for the fat lazy guys. Hey Aaron trahair rarely got injured!

Reply #353161 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

No.Keeping pushing through the young kids.

Reply #353171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

During last season Wortho signed a three year extension with the Blaze for $550K (he's in the first year of that deal now) so I highly doubt Harvey is on more than him.

Reply #353192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho in first year of a multi year deal - correct - but 550k over 3 years doesnt neccesarily = 550/3 each year

Harvey in last year of a multi year deal - signed when he was the franchise player - as a result he is the highest player on the roster this season.

As for his prospects next season, in the right environment he has a lot to offer (if fit) but I couldn't see him and Marty Clarke co existing at the same club.

Reply #353214 | Report this post

Pug 87  
Years ago

Worthingon is the highest paid player at the Blaze at around $200k and heard from top sources he peaks in year 3 at $250k. Prob some of that goes to Mrs W under the table. Harvey has never been on anything like that. In year 3 of his best/last contract at the Cats, Vhahov cut the salaries of all starters by 1/3. Remember that? Cost them Feaster. I'm positive Harves was under Gibbo and Wortho this season by quite a bit.
His 3 year contract was just a repeat of his first 2 year contract. The club told all players they had no more money for any extras then found it for Worthington.
Best for Harves that he part company with Wright.

Reply #353223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Wortho is on 200K now and 250K in Year 3 so he's only playing for 100K next season? I doubt it.

Reply #353235 | Report this post

Snip  
Years ago

Clearly as posted above, Mrs W is receiving a cut "under the table"... lol

Reply #353239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that guy knows Mrs Wortho is getting paid under the table?

Reply #353241 | Report this post

Charon 49  
Years ago

No one said the $550k was the real amount, just the declared amount. So much for the owners all sticking to the salary cap these last 3 seasons.

Reply #353247 | Report this post

Deimos 75  
Years ago

He won't need a lifeline. The op and the rehab will go well. Offers will come his way.

Reply #353248 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last two posts, same IP.

Reply #353257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way of knowing until we know the team that the sixers will have. Same goes for any team. Could be a handy 9th, 10th option

Reply #353276 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

They playing great without him - doesn't help his cause!!

Reply #353280 | Report this post

Deios58  
Years ago

Harvey won't be at the Kings. There is one big reason that happened at the end of last season that for legal reasons can't be discussed here, but its safe to say that organization doesnt want anything to do with him.

Reply #353286 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

deios58 u should tell us more.

Reply #353289 | Report this post

Dione 94  
Years ago

The last game of the season which the GCB won. The hotel was said to have offered free breakfasts to the guests who complained about the noise from the celebrating players. Surprised there is a legal issue here.

Reply #353291 | Report this post

Deios58  
Years ago

It's a legal issue because there's no use getting into trouble about making an accusation on a bulletin board which though true could still generate problems for Isaac and the poster.

And 'Dione 94' - it was far worse than just some 'excessive noise' issue. But that's as far as I'll go.

Reply #353294 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754