HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 22

Round 22 is done and dusted with only 3 rounds to go. No really big attendances to speak of unless you count Cairns but not a bad round either for the most part.

Kings vs Tigers - 4,899 @ SEC (47%)
36ers vs Hawks - 4,585 @ AA (57%)
Taipans vs Blaze - 5,132 @ CCC (96%)
Crocodiles vs Tigers - ? @ TEC (?%)
Wildcats vs Breakers - 4,400 @ CS (98%)
Blaze vs Kings - 3,071 @ GCCC (58%)

For two teams out of playoff contention it was a pretty good crowd at the Kingdome on Friday night. Nearly getting 5K to that game was an achievement so well done to those who showed up.

Considering the 36ers vs Hawks (8 v 9) game was up against the Fringe Festival AND the Clipsal 500 it was a very good turn out at the Adelaide Arena IMO. It was 988 up on the 3,597 who showed for their Rd.11 clash. I wonder what 36ers crowds would be if we were 2nd instead of 2nd bottom...

Another great crowd at The Snakepit and only 168 off capacity. Only once in their 12 home games have the Taipans posted a sub 4,500 crowd (4,379 vs NZ in Rd.7) and twice now they've posted 5K+. The NBL is giving accolades to the Tigers for their sellout record but something should be said for Taipans fans which is a much smaller market and a decent size venue.

I'm starting to wonder if the Crocs or those at the Townsville Ent Cent are not posting lower attendance figures on purpose because it's happened again. Was anyone there? If so, at a guess what would the crowd have been??

Again, Like Cairns, Perth have posted their 12th straight 4K+ crowd figure. Surprised it wasn't a capacity crowd though considering it was 2 v 1 but it was close to it. This is the game that One should have shown on Sunday.

The Gold Coast Blaze are the hottest team in the league right now and went into Sunday's game on a 3 game winning streak yet they still struggle to draw two men and a dog to games. I know Sydney are out of it but surely at this end of the season the NBL's 3rd placed team should be drawing close to or over 4K every home game. The Blaze only have 1 home game left in the regular season in Rd.25 against NZ. If they keep winning and still can't draw to that something is seriously wrong in paradise.

So that was Round 22. A couple of good surprises in Sydney and here in Adelaide, business as usual in Cairns, Perth and sadly on the Gold Coast while once more Townsville thinks its the CIA and won't divulge any information.

As mentioned, Melbourne is being praised for its sellout record this season. It has sold out the 3,500 seat Cage 6 times breaking the record of 5 set by the 2006-07 and 2008-09 championship teams. It just goes to show that the Tigers could definitely do with a larger venue. Did anyone say a re-developed and roofed Margaret Court Arena??

The link: http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/march/tigers-record-crowds-1/

Anyway, only four games coming up in Round 23 and would you believe that for the first time since Rd.14 a Blaze game won't be shown on One.....maybe there is part of the reason they are stinking up the NBL's average attendances. Why go when its on the box all the bloody time.

Topic #27722 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville's crowd didnt get posted for New Years when they had their best crowd in five years, so I am not sure your theory holds water Holden.

Reply #353149 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Frankly.. The Taipans should be given some sort of award. Every year their fans come out no matter how good or shit that team is.
The have the smallest market in the league, yet last round they beat every other teams crowd figures. Amazing!

Reply #353151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3481 at TECC

all you have to do is ask

Reply #353158 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cairns run a smooth ship

Reply #353163 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Mystro I think you can add to it that Cairns have got very loyal fans despite their team being hot and cold at times. And I can't argue with notwhereyouat, Taipans fans up there in Cairns deserve an award. They are putting attendances in bigger markets to shame.

Anon (#353158)...thanks for the crowd figure :). For future reference.....where did you find that?

Anon (#358149) 2 or 3 times this season the Crocs have not posted a crowd figure for a home game, though the CIA reference was a joke (I'd like to think they'd have more integrity than the CIA). And IIRC they didn't have a problem posting their highest crowd figure of the season (4,781 against Perth in Rd.13 played on 31 December).

Reply #353242 | Report this post

G Rudd  
Years ago

I was there and I would have said about 3500 there abouts. New years eve would have been around the 4500-5000. I'm there every game.

Reply #353244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville didn't post their NYe figure, it only went up on the nbl site during the following week, as has this weeks figure.

Reply #353251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe ask the Crocs Twitter @tsvcrocs after every home game?

Reply #353388 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree that the Cairns fans are very loyal HoldenV8 and I love the way their team get written off every season and come the playoffs are still in the conversation

Reply #353423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754