benno
Years ago

Matthew "delly" Dellavedova next aussie in the nba

Is this victorian kid, Australia's next NBA hopeful? I begin to think so if he can improve his speed and become more athletic his a good shot at it

Topic #27736 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

'become more athletic' lol.... ya kind either have it or ya dont in that way

Reply #353468 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

speed can be increased if worked on

Reply #353469 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Sorry kid, no chance.

Reply #353470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct, no chance.

Reply #353473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good player, but without athleticism you have to be a great player to make it in the NBA. Could get a look in the second round though.

Reply #353474 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

im more interested in seeing him get into a good league and play good minutes than worried about him making the nba or not.

if he has interest sure check it out but i hope he doesnt hang around bouncing from the d-league to try-outs because that is a quick way to find yourself close to 30 without any exposure to solid team defense and without the benefit of playing consistant ball.

bose came straight to the nbl and his form is getting better and better. will quickly become a go to guy with responsibility before he gets what ild call a likely call up to europe.

delly could follow the same path, spend a couple of years in the nbl in which he will very likely impress and check out options in europe with a nice payday at the great age of 27.

Reply #353476 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Currently ranked 70th by ESPN. Got another year of College. If he has another good year. He will have a chance late second round. I'd say Europe before NBL

Reply #353488 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Will have a very good career in Europe.

And I would imagine HEAPS of teams would be interested in him because of the fact he probably has EU citizenship, hence he could qualify as a local.

His lack of speed really hinders him in terms of NBA..

Such a shame because he actually has good size..Listed at 6"4! So if he was in the NBA, he would probably be listed at 6"5..not a bad height for a PG.

Reply #353499 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

this years draft is pretty strong he will be sweet next year

Reply #353504 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Got the skills but lacks the athleticism. Doubt he'll make the NBA.

Reply #353513 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This year's draft for PG's is weak...but given he is also academically doing well, he will play his senior yer out first before decidingwhat to do...

I'd live to see him get a crack at the NBA, but I think long term his future lies in Europe.

Reply #353514 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

From what i've seen he's no where near an NBA player!

Reply #353524 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #353534 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I dunno i've been a doubter on his chances to play NBA. Now I don't think he's that far off!

Reply #353541 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jeremy Lin may have been the best thing to happen to Delly...

GM's may not as easily overlook someone like Delly in the next couple of drafts...

Reply #353551 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Easy on the Lin comparisons.

Australian kids are rarely taught how to handle the ball properly, it hurts their NBA chances big time, especially the PG/SGs.

Reply #353557 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I didn't exactly compare him like for like, but the situation is very similar...

Dellavedova Named Among Cousy Final 5

Reply #353562 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't go saying Delly should be in the NBA because Lin made it.

Have you seen Lin's handle?

The dude is so much more athletic than Delly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_iADf87bg

Reply #353566 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly as just as athletic as Nash IMO...

Reply #353568 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

He's not quick enough IMO. I can't see him making it. Could have a heck of a career in Europe though.

Reply #353584 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

delly could be like a nash

Reply #353587 | Report this post

Tb  
Years ago

Some of you guys suffer from tall popey syndrome. Just because he is better than you guys and will make it further than you ever did. For someone to get so much attention over in the college system it's a good chance that they are going to the NBA.

Anyway, shouldnt you be supporting you Aussie basketballers not putting them down..... Idiots.

Reply #353674 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'm supporting the heck out of him. Have barely missed a televised St Mary's game this season.
It's not a put-down to have realistic expectations of someone though. The competition is pretty tough so the odds are against him IMO.

Anyway a lot can happen over the next year. Given how much he has improved over the last one the NBA is definitely a realistic goal for him.
To be honest though I think it's better for a player to get quality starter minutes in Europe than to stay on the fringe in the USA like Patty is.

Reply #353756 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Yo TB get the fuk outta my face. Fact is you need to be athletic to play in the NBA and he's not. Deal with it!

Reply #353759 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Delly isnt Nash, let's get that sorted. He doesnt have that skill set. He is very good at college level though so you never know what might come up, particularly if he is willing to play the summer league / D-league game and stick around.

I think how he goes for the Boomers this winter will tell us more about where his game is at than his college season. Plenty of guys have done very well at college level and turned out to be good players in the NBL or comparable leagues, and Luke Cooper was a finalist in the Bob Cousy Award!

Reply #353771 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would add that one of the biggest things he has going for him, like Nash, is how hard he works to improve his game. That can take you a long way.

Reply #353772 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Not comparing his skill set to Nash, just his level of athleticism...

As for Cooper, he was a starter at a D2 school and did not guide his team to the NCAA tournament...

Reply #353773 | Report this post

triton  
Years ago

Next Aussie to make the NBA will be Brock Motum from washington state- check out his stats- 6'10" three/four man- onother year in college then draft time

Reply #353787 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I wouldn't call Nash particularly athletic. It's just that he has the ball on a string, which means that with average athleticism he can do some amazing things with the ball in his hands. With handles, smarts and a good change of speed you don't need to be super athletic to beat defenders.
Delly right now is far from smooth as a ball handler. Mind you 2 years ago he was downright awkward so as Paul said he clearly works hard on his game and is improving all the time.

Reply #353810 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'd love to see Motum make it, but he doesn't have the athleticism either...hope he proves me wrong s he can downright play!

Reply #353851 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Whilst there are always teams that look for athleticism, I think the tide is slowly changing somewhat and there are plenty of teams out there willing to bring in guys that have solid fundamentals (eg. San Antonio).

Reply #353905 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

If the PG crop is weak in the draft this year Delly should consider jumping in.
He can always finish his degree during the NBA offseason over a few years.

Obviously he would need to get some good advice from his coaches and some NBA teams to see exactly where he could go.

But assuming he plays well in the March Madness he should ride the wave into the draft.

You never know what can happen and there are no guarantees next year will be a better season for him.

Reply #353937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754