MikefromtheK
Years ago

Can Cairns Still Make Finals!?

Ideally I would like to see NZ, Perth, Townsville and Cairns in the finals. I know NZ and Perth have already qualified. What has to happen for T-ville and Cairns to make it???

Topic #27770 | Report this topic

Blazefan  
Years ago

I've been looking at this one closely for obvious reasons.

As the Blaze lead the head to head against the Taipans, Cairns must win both remaining games (Kings then 36ers both at home) and the Blaze must lose all 3 remaining games (@ Breakers, @ 36ers then home to Breakers).

While the first condition is reasonably possible the second is probably a little less.

If the Blaze get one win then the Taipans, with their two wins, will need the Crocs to lose both their remaining games (@ Perth then home to Breakers), to make the playoffs.

Either way, it's a reasonable chance that these positions may not be decided until the last game of the season with the Breakers @ Blaze on the 25th.

Reply #354042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaze should be fine and the final spot is between Cairns and Townsville.
Crocs need to win one game of their last two, in Perth or at home to NZ both big asks. Crocs can still lose their last two and make it if Cairns lose one of their last two. I wouldn't put my house on it though as Cairns have both games at home against Syd and Adelaide. Crocs fans will be cheering hard for Sydney this round to knock of Cairns which is half a chance as Sydney can be very streaky and a high scoring team, against an ordinary offensive team in Cairns.

Reply #354046 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Townsville also own the season series against the Crocs on points

Reply #354072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns problem those is Loughton and Crosswhite. Crosswhite is no certainty with his ankle injury and Loughton will be limited with his achillies. They may find both a handful at the center spot guarding Simpson/Johnson and Khazzouh/Grant

Reply #354082 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

1-NZ
2-Perth
3-Gold Coast
4-Townsville
-
5-Cairns

Theres too many "if's" for Cairns to make it. If Loughton and Crosswhite are injury free and if they win both of their remaining games.. AND if Townsville lose both of theirs, which is a posibility going against Perth at Challenge and NZ looking for momentum into the finals.

I guess cairns could win their remaining games and townsville could lose theirs. Not likley if loughton or crosswhite are out though.

So still possible but pretty unlikely. Got to give them credit for getting so close when alot of people had them predicted to finish last.

Reply #354092 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Exactly, dont forget they started the season without Loughton and Crosswhite, Wilson was playing injured and then Rychart missed a huge chunk of the season. Great effort whether they finish 5th or 4th.

Reply #354096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a lot of people are assuming the Crocs can beat one of the top 2 teams, something they haven't been able to do all season!

Reply #354127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think GC won't win again this season and finish fourth and level point with the Crocs but since they have the split crocs will be third. So it will be NZ v GC and Perth v Crocs Semi.

Reply #354135 | Report this post

G Rudd  
Years ago

Hey Natwhereyouat, Townsville are the Crocs. I think we can beat the Breakers at the swamp in the last round and get rid of the Taipans.

Reply #354180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for the crocs i'd rather finish 4th, they have challenged nz both times they have played and matchup better than they do against bogey team perth.

Reply #354239 | Report this post

Teapotzz  
Years ago

If all 3 teams happen to finish on 16-12, which is a decent possibility, then Crocs and Taipans go through and Blaze miss out.

Reply #354603 | Report this post

Teapotzz  
Years ago

Nope, sorry it's over for Cairns!

Reply #354700 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:46 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754