Aussiebballer
Years ago

Potential call ups from NBL to NBA

With the NBL season finishing for some teams.

Any chance some NBL players get an end of season call up by an NBA team?

It is around this time of year that the NBA teams missing the playoffs start grabbing D-League players to trial for next season.
If they sign them for the rest of the season they get their rights for next season.

GSW only have 13 players on their roster so they could get Khazzouh back. Rumour is they will get JJ Hickson, but you can never have too many bigs.

Grant is obviously athletic enough for the NBA, needs work on offense but so do 50% of NBA bigs anyway.

Daniel Johnson has had a good season, has the size and quickness but maybe not the strength or Defence.

Some other players are possible but will be in the NBL finals for a while yet, ie Abercrombie

Topic #27843 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie is the only player who I think has a shot and in saying that, I don't think he will.
NBA want a total package and Abercrombie is the closest we have.
His mid range jumper has greatly improved as has his 3point % , he can play lockdown D on PG-PF, block shots and jump out of the building and his Basketball IQ is improving with each game.
Only reason i don't think he'll get a shot is because they passed up on Penney and he can flatout play.

Reply #355131 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Mystro, I'd say that the Abercrombie has more dimensions that the NBA would be looking for over Penney.

Not taking anything away from Penney, but NBA teams would be interested solely on his FG% and 3PT%. Thus if the standard isn't shown during training etc, then he won't be selected.

I think Abercrombie offers a wider variety than what people would view Penney as and as such would be more mallable on an NBA team.

If Abercrombie was advertised as an all-round defender with great athleticism then he'd have a greater draw.

Reply #355134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No-one in the NBL would come close to making an NBA roster plain an simple. The league is getting worse year by year. Scouts wouldn't even bother looking at the NBL.

Get over it! The NBL will fold in a few years!

Reply #355136 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree Mystro, Abercrombie is the only one with a good chance here. However, he wouldn't be able to guard NBA power forwards.

I think Nevill is another one due to his size. Perhaps he could be a good back up to play 5-10 minutes.

DJ is in the David Anderson mold but I doubt he will make it to the NBA. He will probably go to Europe but wont be strong enough there.

Grants only chance of making the NBA is with his families connections. He is too small to play pf in the nba and too slow to play sf.

Reply #355137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Better topic might be for Europe. Who could get picked up at a reasonable level there? Jackson? Abercrombie. Maybe Pledger? Worthington?

Reply #355140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Anonymous... the NBL is no where near folding... talent levels have been better but its no where near folding. it just wont happen, theres enough true blue hardcore supporters that even in its darkest days someone will revive it, it will always be around... people have been saying ever since Gaze retired that the league was over and its stuck around, and they were saying beforem he even popped up that the league wouldnt last. Its done more then last its been here for like 30 years and Its not going anywhere I g8uareantee you... you will see alot of Australias college playersa come here, some will lift the standard of game. In answer to NBL to NBA however, have to agree... theres no one in this league thats gonna make the jump.... sure theres plenty of guys who if playing against NBA calibre guys could compete... but are they good enough and do they have enough strengths and uipsides for someone to want to put ther big money on them over an american or a european... answer is NO...

Reply #355141 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

khazzouh is still going to warriors training camp, there will be a few asked to go to training camps which is a good thing for the nbl

Reply #355142 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jackson, Abercrombie, Grant and Nevill are probably the ones good enough and with physical tools to attract some interest. Making it, of course, is all about being in the right spot at the right time.

Eddie Gill is another who could obviously get a shot given his experience. Bose could also attract some interest given his recent college career. Doubt any of them will be this season though, it's a bit too late.

I love the anon who said NBA scouts wouldnt even look at the NBL. Do you think Golden State invited Khazzouh over after they bumped into him at the supermarket?

Reply #355148 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, re Europe: almost any NBL import could get a decent gig over there. Troy Devries just signed with one of this year's Euroleague teams, though jobs with those select power clubs who are a step above NBL are tough to get.

Of course, it's a case of right place, right time - your agent being in touch with a team that needs your skills and them offering better money that what theyre on here. With the GFC there arent nearly as many big Euro contracts going around.

Reply #355150 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

"I love the anon who said NBA scouts wouldnt even look at the NBL. Do you think Golden State invited Khazzouh over after they bumped into him at the supermarket?" HAHAHAHAHHA yes yes yes sir, bose is a good shot at a training camp this year

Reply #355152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Khazzouh's agent. Any agent worth their salt would get their client a spot on a training camp roster. It's not just about basketball ability.

There's a reason Khazzouh lasted a week. Clearly hasn't got the body, nor the ability for it. He's certainly good. NBL good. Not Boomers or NBA good.

No one in the current NBL would go to the NBA now the season is over half way.

Reply #355157 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Khazzouh was told he needed to bulk up before he gets any real chance of making a NBA roster. I don't think he ever will.

I'm a Abercrombie fan. But he won't either. Plenty of athletic wing men in the world, a lot are more athletic than him. He needs to be a lock down defender & be able to be a gun outside shooter before the NBA would seriously look at him.

Anyone 7ft+ always have a chance no matter how terrible they are. Can't teach hight

Reply #355163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson needs to work on his tattoos then he might have a chance

Reply #355164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only realistic chance I can think of would be Nevill. Purely because he's 7-1 and can walk and chew gum at the same time. Also he's a known commodity having done a preseason with the Cavs and played in the D-League.

There are a million Abercrombie's floating around out there and he'd need to either be tearing the NBL a new one or playing in a high profile league in Europe to be any sort of a chance.

Reply #355208 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Big Marty

Reply #355214 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There definitely arent a million Abercrombies out there, but I know what you mean. He needs to get stronger to play NBA, and even then be in the right place at the right time.

Reply #355235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wanted to remind everyone that Abercrombie is 87 kilograms, which is less than 200 lbs.

This guy would be posted up by pretty much everyone in the NBA. You say he wouldn't be able to guard PFs? Shit he'd be lucky to hold his ground strength wise against some shooting guards.

He needs to be up around 98 - 100, no shit.

Reply #355239 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yet in the world champs he didn't seem to have a problem scoring and defending against teams like Spain.
He is not playing NZBL this season so he can hit the weights and bulk up a bit more.

Reply #355245 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is more than 87kgs these days.

Reply #355261 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

This season he looks much bigger in the chest and arms.

Reply #355278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah didnt think abercrombie looked as skinny as he did before.... people must also remember it is possible to bulk up alot in 1-3 years depending on your training and diet.... however, i dont knwo that abercrombie has NBA calibre but hes a good player

Reply #355371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754