John
Years ago

Golden State fans not happy with Bogut trade?

A great tribute Monday at Oracle Arena took a terribly ugly turn when Warriors co-owner Joe Lacob grabbed the microphone to honor Hall of Famer Chris Mullin on the night the franchise retired his No. 17.

After 30 minutes of loud cheers and standing ovations for anyone and everyone associated with the Warriors, Lacob got roundly booed at halftime of a 97-93 loss to Minnesota.

Lacob tried to talk over the razzing and chants of "Monta," but his speech soon turned into an embarrassed whisper. First Mullin, and then Rick Barry, tried to calm and shame the disapproving crowd.

But every time Lacob started talking, the angry boos returned with more vigor. It was reminiscent of the 2000 All-Star Game scene when then-owner Chris Cohan was booed as he appeared with his son.

Fans have been upset for a week about the team's dealing of Monta Ellis, Ekpe Udoh and Kwame Brown at the trade deadline to Milwaukee for center Andrew Bogut, who is expected to miss the remainder of the season with a broken left ankle.

Topic #27845 | Report this topic

themvpiskb24  
Years ago

How could anyone EVER be upset with dealing away Kwame Brown?

Reply #355174 | Report this post

Russ  
Years ago

tried to tell you guys. Milwaukee is feeling great about the Bogut trade. They won 4 in a row without Him on the bench arguing with the coach.

Time will tell!!

Reply #355179 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

wait to bogut is on the court then the booes will diminish and those warrior fans will stfu

Reply #355180 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow, that's harsh. Sounds like GSW fans are almost as tough on their ownership as us Sixers fans ;-)

I can understand Warriors fans being upset with losing Monta for Bogut. There is lots of risk in this trade for GSW and in the short-term, the fans are not going to see any benefit, because Bogut won't be on court.

But they need to take a chill pill and think about it. Nellie's small ball which GSW have played for years now clearly doesn't work. IF Bogut AND Curry can stay healthy, the Warriors WILL be a better team for this trade and should finally be a playoff team.

Not only that, but disrespecting your team's new owner when he is only trying to improve it is a REALLY bad idea. How's he gonna feel about tipping 100s of millions of dollars into the team when he is publicly humiliated like that?

How much extra pressure are they putting on Bogut to perform when he sees such a visceral reaction? They're more likely to make their fears come true if Bogut goes into next season stressed out of his mind about playing well enough to please the fans!

Reply #355189 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I can certainly understand the disappointment of the GS fans. They gave up their superstar player for a player who cannot offer them anything.
immediately and is injury-pronged. I think Bogut is a very nice player, but there are a lot of other good centers out there, who are on par with him stats-wise.

Bogey's season stats = 11 and 8

Look at guys like:

Demarcus Cousins= 16 and 10
JaVale McGee = 12 and 9
Joakim Noah = 10 and 10
Chris Kaman = 13 and 8
Kris Humphries = 13 and 11
Anderson Varejao= 11 and 11
Andrea Bargnani = 20 and 6
Spencer Hawes = 11 and 8

Now if anyone of those were in Bogut's place and traded for Monta, people on this forum would say that GSW got robbed.
But because its Bogey, a lot of you tend to think its a GSW win. Remove your bias people.

I mean Bogut is a good player, but there are a lot of players out there who are right up there stats wise.
Bogut is a defensive machine, but then again so are guys like Varejao, McGee and Noah.

I can more than understand the fans frustration.

It would be like the Sixers trading away DJ to get Burston
Sure Burston is ok, but there are a lot of Centers out there that do just as well and better than him.

Reply #355206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep entirely understandable.

Reply #355207 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

MACDUB,
You only put up Points and rebounding as the stats, out of all the players you listed not one of them is better defensively than Bogut, and only Kaman and Cousins have a back to the basket game like Bogut. Stats don't tell the whole story

Reply #355221 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Monta Ellis is not a SUPERSTAR player.
He is a volume scorer, decent passer and a bad defender.

He is not a Franchise player, more a good/excellent second bannana like Vince Carter, Stackhouse, Ray Allen, Mitch Richmond or Lebron James :) (had to add him in there).

He won't win you a Championship as the best player on a team, like Wade, Kobe, Pierce or Dirk.

Are Curry or Bogut true number 1 Stars???
Neither has shown it yet, but if they get fit and take a step or 2 up they could prove it next season.

IF Bogut finally gets fit the fans in GSW will fall in love with him and will forget about Ellis.

Reply #355229 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

Another part of the plan is to shut Curry down and drop into this years draft which is very deep.

GSW could end up with a superstar if the get a top 3 pick, which is possible considering how bad they might go for the remainder of the season.

Reply #355233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't think Bogut is good because we're Aussie. Go to any NBA forum and they will say he's a top 2-3 centre in the league.

Reply #355236 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

I think that trading away Monta, who is going to win you games but never going to get you out of the first round in the playoffs for a defensive minded big, is probably a smart long term move.

It looks like without Bogut on the floor they are trying to bomb this season and get into the top 7 in the draft to keep their protected pick they sent to Utah or trade back for it.

If they can do that they can hopefully get their hands on a decent young big who can develop next to Bogut, as their are a few options projected in the first 10 spots. Davis, Robinson, Drummond, Sullinger, Henson, Jones III, T.Zellor. or a SF like Kidd Gilchrist or Barnes.

With a young core of Curry, Thompson, Young Big, Bogut. If they can stay healthy and gel they could look like contenders in a few years if you can put the right role players around them.

Reply #355237 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Russ, piss off back to real gm or whichever yank site you post at.

Reply #355240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only reason Bogut put up those numbers is because Jennings is a ball hog every pick and roll was a Jennnings shot, the first quarter theyd give him the ball and then he wouldn't see it the rest of the game.. hopefully with curry that wont be an issue

Reply #355241 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Golden State are also in talks with Utah to get the pick even if it falls outside the top 7, don't know what they will give them to give up the pick though

Reply #355244 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

GSW are playing it smart. They'll tank for some picks in the draft and hope for some injury luck next season.

The Bucks should be renamed the Chucks.

Reply #355260 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Sadly I think the injuries of Bogut's past will prevent him becoming a superstar regardless of how encouraging the environment.

Reply #355286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut's not in the Top 2 that's for sure (Howard, Bynum).

Reply #355291 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Big Sexy,

I think Noah and Varejao are very very good defenders. Noah IMHO, is better than Bogut.

Bogut isn't in the top 5 to be honest, these people are all above him IMHO:

Howard
Jefferson (19 and 9)
Brook Lopez (19ppg)
Andrew Bynum (18 and 12)
Bargnani (20 and 6)
Marc Gasol (15 and 10)
Marcin Gortat (16 and 10)

Anon #236,

I look at USA/NBA basketball forums and to be honest, very few of them mention Bogut as even been in the top 8-10 centers in the league.

I see so many forums that put guys like Greg Monroe (16 and 10), Hibbert and Horford ahead of him.

Bogut is a nice player, don't get me wrong. I really like him.

But there is so many quality centers out there that everyone forgets about.

Reply #355314 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Dry Back, agree with your post, but think you might be forgetting that David Lee is on GSW's roster. Will need to be a good draft pick to start ahead of Lee!

MACDUB, I think you do need to look beyond the stats for Bogut's impact. IF he can return to the level of play he showed 2 years ago before his horrendous fall, he is one of the best centres in the league.

That season his defensive positioning and timing was awesome. As the season wore on, Bogut also became more confident offensively.

I still remember him absolutely destroying Perkins and KG at the Garden one game and that did not happen often with those two guarding the paint for Boston.

That was the year the Celtics lost to the Lakers in 7 in the NBA finals, and I remember thinking just before Bogut got injured that if the Celtics got the Bucks in the 1st round, they could be in trouble!

I would take THAT Bogut ahead of any centre in the league other than Howard. Other than Noah and Varejao, all those guys you mention above are average to terrible defenders.

Also, Varejao is really more of a PF being played out of position, as are Horford and Monroe. All really good players, but none can defend the paint to the level Bogut does when fully healthy.

Reply #355320 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

If you bought season tickets for this season, would you be happy?

Next season is a long way away for most fans.

Reply #355330 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

This clears up last Monday's episode of Alcatraz for me.

It must have been Lacob who paid the "chemistry convict" to gas all of those Golden State fans on the subway.

Lucky Madsen and Doc got there in time......

Reply #355362 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 am, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754