HoldenV8
Years ago

NBL Attendance - Round 24

Round 24 of the season and no real surprises again for the attendances. Not a bad round all over really, even in Melbourne...

Breakers vs Blaze - 4,000 @ NSEC (91%)
Wildcats vs Crocodiles - 4,200 @ CS (93%)
36ers vs Blaze - 5,177 @ AA (65%)
Taipans vs Kings - 5,190 @ CCC (98%)
Tigers vs Hawks - 3,267 @ WEC (93%)

A sellout for the game at the Events Centre and so it should have been for a top 4 clash just two rounds out from the finals. Good to see that the fans in Auckland are supporting their team, they deserve it.

Perth have finished their season in 2nd on the NBL ladder and they have also finished their regular season home games without posting a sub 4K crowd. A pretty good effort IMO but an interesting fact - not once did they post a capacity 4,500 crowd at Challenge Stadium.

Another very good crowd here in Adelaide to see the 36ers playing for pride (and a few extra points come contract time) against a Blaze side wanting to secure a top 4 spot. I heard there were a few giveaway tickets but even so it still shows that people will come out and support the 36ers. Lets hope it continues next season and beyond.

Unfortunately for Cairns not even the phenomenal home support they get could keep then in the finals race. The Taipans loyal fans deserved better than a hot and cold team who went cold at the wrong time but that's basketball isn't it. Hopefully they still come out next week for a nothing (for them) game against Adelaide. Would be a shame to spoil the good record just because the team can't make the finals.

I said before that even Melbourne had a good crowd this week and I'll give a couple of reasons why I think that. First it was two teams who can't make the finals so that might have kept some people away. Second it was up against the Australian Grand Prix so for mine even getting over 3K for this game was an achievement.

So there it is. Round 24 is over and done with and the top 4 spots on the ladder are set. Will that affect crowds next week with teams who haven't made it? I hope not, there are three games where its only bottom 5 sides playing.

Topic #27846 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the Perth situation is caused by poor seating arrangements/members seats.

For example, often I have gone to purchase tickets on ticketmaster and have found only single seats available (not two together). Nobody wants to sit on their own so I guess some people don't bother. That won't be a problem at the new Perth Arena.

Reply #355304 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth is effectively a sell-out every week.

Reply #355312 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Effectively yes but posted no, not that its doing them any harm.

And I agree there should be NO problems getting seats together with the Perth Arena when it opens. The place will hold 14,000 though I don't know if they'll do the same as at the Kingdome and curtain off area's to reduce the basketball capacity (the SEC holds 13,250 but the curtain they put up closes off 2,733 seats for a 10,517 NBL capacity).

Reply #355315 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

"Perth is effectively a sell-out every week."

Correct. Wildcats tend to publish a lazy, rounded-down whole figure.

Reply #355384 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754