On the outer
Years ago

More proof S.A. is falling behind

Despite the claim that 'S.A. is considered the optimum model by every state' here is further proof why for the benifit of local basketball BASA and the NBL/WNBL managements should be seperated. A full staff completely focused on local issues have turned Queensland basketball around. At junior level the sport is bigger and better run then ever and the state also boasts three successful NBL programs.

On top of that here is an article from the BA site regarding the recent Queensland state champs; further proof S.A. is falling behind ...

"Basketball Queensland's State Classics were decided in front of a full house at Vince Hickey Stadium, Auchenflower this month and involved 160 teams split into 12 divisions and playing across 26 pools. All the tournaments were serviced by Interfuse's Basketball Network Competitions Module.

The Under 16 Girls Championship was taken by Brisbane #1 and South West Metros #1 took the Under 16 Boys title.

"The system on the whole worked extremely well with our varied competition formats, and the beauty of internet access enabled usage across three separate venues," Basketball Queensland's Business Services Manager, Tina Briggs said.

"The system looks professional and was well received by our members and the host venues who used it daily to produce scoresheets and input results. In particular the virtually instant posting of results and updated ladders on our website was a huge improvement on previous years and created less work for our volunteers and staff.

"The direct linkage of the teams setup function to our database also enabled us to 'check' that all players were registered prior to the commencement of games  this was a very cumbersome process in previous years."

Interfuse are Basketball Australia's technology sponsor and provide web solutions, such as basketball.net.au amongst others.

Congratulations to all the teams involved in Basketball Queensland's competitions and particularly to Mackay for featuring in three fair play awards which is a fantastic achievement for the championships.

Referees were also acknowledged for their important role in the Classics"

Hopefully we can look forward to the same in May across Adelaide's local stadiums.

Topic #2785 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

I doubt our State Champs will be anything remotely close to what you mentioned above.

Ball in SA needs a serious revamp in my eyes.

Reply #31629 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

While it was obviously a very well organised and patronised event saying that the venue in Auchenflower was a full house for the final is no great feat.
Ive played before a full house there in Tuesday night mixed scrubber leage at 10pm! ;)

Reply #31638 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

while that article is glorifies the system used in the carnival, i think the problem in SA goes far deeper than how quickly the ladder and results are posted on the internet. We need more information on how their management structure operates, and perhaps try to emulate that system.

Reply #31655 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's Interfuse PR fluff first and foremost. My guess is that it would be part of their contractual arrangement with BA to produce regular articles talking up the Interfuse system. The NBL and SEABL moved away from Interfuse and have pretty decent sites.

Reply #31656 | Report this post

been around  
Years ago

until we have a fair grading of teams - we will never have a super attractive junior programme

get the teams balanced and more will come

the clubs and individual teams need to get behind their players - not the basketball association

basa need to make it attractive - but the bums in seats come from the club / teams

we always get good crowds - only because i rev the parents up beforehand

Reply #31668 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is that there is a lot of talent in SA but no one is spotting it. I am a player in div3 and very athletic and 6"2 in height. I can dunk over players shoot and evrything else. Istarted playing district one and a half years ago. There are lots of players like me out there but no one spots us. For me the reason why i am not playing in the higher league is because i have not been in the club for long enough. SA could produce better players if people were chosen because of talent. That is why lots of players stop playing basketball because of club politics

Reply #31716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6Foot2, so you are a shooting guard?

Reply #31722 | Report this post

Mr. Brownstone  
Years ago

Sorry anonymous but i don't buy that, you are not playing higher cause a)your attitude, b)there is more to the game than dunking. Do you know how to move without the ball, play help 'd' etc?

I would assume that you are in under 18's? Cause anyone that is 6,2 in under 16 & your apparent ability would be playing higher. There is no-one playing in div3 that should be playing in div1, div2, most probably but no higher.

Also there isn't a talent problem in SA it's just that the system is all screwed up. Too many kids currently in div 1 & 2 are playing in divisions that are either to mediocre or too excelled for them.

Most of the clubs are too scared to make a move into pro/relegation, most probably because if will show up their lack of effort in recruiting.

At the end of the day some kids just are not good enough, (yes they will make improvments with some decent coaching)but why put them into a situation where they are destined to fail.

Reply #31736 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

From time to time people make mistakes over player, I have. But if the players is good enough they usually make it. Half the kids in my div 1 U/18 last year had worked their way up from lower divisions since U16. Including one from division 4 as a first year 18. It was a top four team with only one previous state rep, a first year. So your politic story does not wash.

Reply #31868 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754