Step back
Years ago

Euroleague Quarterfinals, Barcelona vs Unics

I managed to get to the first game of the 5 match quarterfinal series last night in Barcelona. Barca jumped to an early lead of around ten points in the first quarter and apart from a short period in the fourth when it got back to 3, they were never really headed.

Nate Jawai, playing for Unics, was very impressive. Was generally the main focus on offence, often they would run a double high pick for the pg and with nate then rolling to the post. He looks in great shape, top scored for Unics with 15, and was basically unstoppable once he had the ball down low. He also had a bunch of rebounds but then again had a bunch of really stupid mistakes and turnovers too...He was a beast at times and other times really looked like he lacked confidence...

Joe Ingles, playing for Barca didn´t really impact the game. He probably played about 5-8 minutes and never really got the opportunity to get going. He was backing up their gun import Pete Mickeal at the 3 who really got going, so it´s not really a reflection on his game that he didn´t do much.

For the Olympics, I would say Jawai should be a lock, he really was almost unstoppable in the low post once he had the ball in hand and was active on defence and the boards...Would be great for 15-20 minutes off the bench.

A scary thought for mine though was Joe Ingles, the fact that this guy is already a lock for the Aussie team and possibly our starting 3, can´t crack decent minutes for barca. Grantd they might be the best team in Europe, but still just goes to show how far off we are from Spain in terms of talent that there was 5 or 6 spanish guys ahead of him just on this team...

Topic #27856 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

"He was backing up their gun import Pete Mickeal at the 3 who really got going, so it´s not really a reflection on his game that he didn´t do much"

and

"A scary thought.......show how far off we are from Spain in terms of talent that there was 5 or 6 spanish guys ahead of him just on this team..."

Helpful comments on both Nate and Joe but part of your post confused me. In one sentance you state Joe is backing up a gun import and in another give the impression he is playing behind 5 or 6 Spanish guys.

Perhaps I missed the point but an import and a psuedo import holding down the 3 spot on arguably the best team in Spain suggests to me that Ingles is solid without being spectacular.

Reply #355360 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I'd be much happier seeing Ingles play exactly the same role for the Boomers as he is for Barca, that of backing up our small forward position. I think he is much better suited to being an impact player off the bench, then a starter expected to provide major contributions.

Reply #355410 | Report this post

BobbyC  
Years ago

Another strong performance from Jawai in game 2 with 21 & 10 in 27mins (5 TOs also)!
Ingles only seen 9:30 mins of court for 2 points!

Barc won the game by 3!

Reply #355564 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

That's really great to see BobbyC, we really need big Nate stepping up and putting pressure on the rest of our bigs going into London. It'll be even more important for him to be in good form if Bogut isn't available.

Reply #355570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan ain't gonna play this summer for the boomers... He doesn't wanna play for Australia... He is happy in Europe and have his summer at home...

Reply #355572 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Luckily the Olympics will be right on his doorstep this 'summer'. It won't be too much of an inconvenience for him to squeeze in 5 to 6 games of basketball over a two week period if called upon.

Reply #355638 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

Hey sorry my last reply was a little confusing, I put it together the next morning, and after a night out in Barca I guess my headf wasn,t really working too well...

I went to the game again last night and I have changed my mind a little re Ingles. The team is just so loaded 1 through 12 and I´m sure given the opportunity Ingles or anyone else could go for 20 to 30 pts theres just enough minutes to go round. Ingles played well, don´t think he scored but his defence was great and he had few steals and a nice assist in limited minutes...

Much better game too, close through out, and the crowd was pretty wild.

Jawai, again was great...especially the second half, he was all over the boards and again unstoppable once he was given the ball in the post. And i think at least 2 of 3 of those turnovers were due to poor entry passes...

Reply #355667 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754