COTY-Lemanis
ROTY-Bose
6thMan-Pledger/Wagstaff
DPOTY-Martin
MIPOTY-Johnson

Reply #355465 | Report this post

Jerry Dennard Jr  
Years ago

How can 1 team (NZ) have 2 nominations for the best 6th man award?

Reply #355467 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

because every team can nominate 2 players for every award

Reply #355471 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

"How can 1 team (NZ) have 2 nominations for the best 6th man award?"

Agreed. Kinda like saying "you are are best starting point guard" and giving the award to two point guards on your team.

Reply #355477 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Based on the finalists I would have to go with:
COTY - Beveridge
ROTY - Bose
6th Man - Wagstaff
DPOY - Martin
MIP - Johnosn

Reply #355478 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think each award is a race in two aprat from ROY

Coach of the Year - Lindsay Gaze Trophy
Aaron Fearne (Cairns)
Andrej Lemanis (New Zealand)

Rookie of the Year
Anatoly Bose (Sydney)
Patty Mills (Melbourne)- If he had stayed would have won MVP & ROY

Best Sixth Man
Alex Pledger (NZ)
Jesse Wagstaff (Perth)

Defensive Player of the Year
Jerai Grant (Sydney)
Damian Martin (Perth)

Most Improved
Jacob Holmes (Townsville)
Cameron Tragardh (Melbourne)

Reply #355480 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nominating up to two players is at the discretion of each team. Some do it every time (e.g., Perth seem to), others seem to consider it a bit more seriously. e.g., an older example was the 36ers not nominating Molitor for ROTY when he was not a realistic chance.

Fearne
Bose
Wagstaff
Martin
Johnson

Mills should not be eligible for ROTY.

Reply #355481 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

& the Hawks only nominated 1 player for each category. Only one that would be in any real contention would be Catron, even than, not really

Reply #355482 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Grant's overall defence is average. Great shotblocker though. Id have Martin and Crosswhite as my two contenders for DPOTY, both worthy runners up to Jackson!

Reply #355484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pattyt mills should not be in any of the award catergorys, he played like less then a 3rd of the season if he wins an award its a complete travesty when he never stayed long enouygh to really do the hard yards here.... but I bet because hes patty mills and because everyone wants to be nice to him he will probably snub the award away from someone like Bose who would deserve it

Reply #355486 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Mills being eligible for ROTY is a complete joke. He has played professionally in the NBA.....going by that reasoning any new imports to the league ala Cedric Jackson or Gary Ervin last year should then also be eligable.

NBL Administration is a complete farce even entertaining this idea!

Reply #355488 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Big difference between Ervin, Jackson & Mills.. Mills is Australian. Imports have never been included in ROTY.

That being said, i agree. Patty should not be included

Reply #355489 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Ok then, so if Bogut came back to play in the NBL then he would be eligible for ROTY?

What even makes it more of a farce is they were deeming Madgen ineligible last year because he was a development player with the 36ers.

Reply #355492 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Under current rules if Bogut or someone like Maric came to the NBL then they would be rookies. But a front office rep told me that these rules are being revised next year. So I doubt this loop hole will happen again.

Reply #355495 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'd like to see them bring in the rule that makes it only eligible to those players in their 1st pro gig inclusive of imports.

Reply #355496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I shake my head at the fact that Ben Madgen was a training player here and he was let go..... how much better we would be with Ben Madgen hey??? as for Mills... NO.WAY should he be rookie of the year!! rookie of the first 8 weeks maybe?

Reply #355500 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Does anyone think awards, especially the MVP are less likely to be given to imports as it means winning this will mean they get bigger offers in other leagues? When was the last time an import won the MVP and was still in the NBL the following year?

Reply #355525 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If an import is worth getting MVP, they'll get MVP. I don't think their future prospects have any bearing. Homicide got it and has played in the NBL since.

Reply #355529 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Last ten years, import MVPs:
Ervin
Williams (Corey)
Wethers
Williams (Chris)

Ervin & Chris Williams are the only two imports that bolted. Wethers came back the following year with the Breakers. Homicide did as well.

Infact if you look right through NBL history only Ervin, Chris Williams & Owen Wells are the only Import MVPs that have left the league the season after winning the award. Even then, Wells played a few seasons in the NBL before winning the MVP.
So it's rare.

Rookie of the years on the other hand.. Look at the past 10 winners, only 4 remain in the league. If you go right back until 1996, you could argue that any rookie in 1996 could be playing now (Sav, Campbell, Bruton, Hoare all rookies 1996 or before). So from 1996 until today, again only 4 of the last 16 winners remain in the league.

Reply #355530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cedric jackson not up for best defensive player? what the hecj- leading league in steals isn't he!!

Reply #355536 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Teams nominate their own players (2 max). So blame his team for not putting him forward.

Reply #355562 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Infact if you look right through NBL history only Ervin, Chris Williams & Owen Wells are the only Import MVPs that have left the league the season after winning the award. Even then, Wells played a few seasons in the NBL before winning the MVP.
So it's rare.

Didn't Steven Woodberry do the bolt after MVPing one year?

Reply #355579 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Nope - Woodberry came back the following season and played for the Sydney Kings for around 4/5 games.. pretty bad games.

Reply #355598 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754