Anonymous
Years ago

HOW IS PATTY MILLS ELIGLE FOR ROOKIE OF THE YEAR?!

Look nothing against Patty Mills as a player, but COME ON! the guy played what 8 or so games? sure he averaged a high clip and was entertaining but you have to be kidding me right? soon as the big buks came he flew away and sure Im not blaming him.... but seriously? if i was Anatoly Bose and Everard Bartlett id be irritated that his names even in the conversation.... its just straight up wrong! if he hadve played the full season he wouldve been a shoe in for rookie of the year.... but fact is he never stayed in long enough, didnt do the hard yards and wasnt in the game long enough for teams to get a grasp on how to defend him... anything clouldve happened in the 16+ games between him leaving. HE shouldnt be in the finalists, NO WAY..... If he wins it... I am sorry but Il see it as another case of "have to make aboriginals happy because of the stolen generation"..... not to bring race into this, but come on... the fact that he is in the conversation after barely featuring in the league is a bit of a joke right>? and something like this has to be the only explanation. If he had left the league due to injury, sure throw his name in, but he wilfully left and left his team destitute for the big dollars as anyone would do.. but having said that, because of that, the NBL should NOT reward him for the handful of games he played while anatoly bose ws there night in night out. I will see it as racism in some ways.... just placating him

Topic #27867 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You might want to mentioned that he played professionally in the NBA before coming here. The rest you dribbled on about was just shit

Reply #355502 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You're an idiot. It has nothing to do with him being Aboriginal. If Dellavedova came into the league and played like Mills did during 8 games then he would also be considered.

There should be a rule saying they must play the majority of the season. I think the NBL will understand this and give it to Bose.

Reply #355511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reference to his Aboriginality is completely ridiculous you fool. Go and get an education before you bring this into an argument about Australian basketball awards. Does the NBL awards committee sit there and say 'let's give patty mills the rookie of the year because it will help close the gap in all Australian social measures'? Surely you must be joking.

Reply #355512 | Report this post

fisherman  
Years ago

I dont care if he only 8 games, he came from the NBA!!! Thats my issue with it, so if bogut or maric came and played, they could win roy also wtf!

Reply #355522 | Report this post

gloss  
Years ago

You cant be serious about the aboriginal stuff!!your a tool

Reply #355537 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

2 issues (in order of importance)

1. He had played NBA prior to the season

2. He only played 8 games

How they can make him eligible is beyond me

Reply #355538 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Anatoly Bose is pretty much a sure bet of winning it so don't get your panties in a knot.

Reply #355540 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If Mills is eligible then every first year Import must be also regardless of how many games they have played professionally in other leagues

Reply #355541 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

1. Topic title in all caps, check.
2. "ELIGLE", check.
3. Doesn't want to bring race into it, but immediately makes idiotic racist argument, check.

Reply #355544 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The league explained this as being a loophole in the current rules, which they hope to change during the off-season. Anyone who has played two seasons in the NBA should not be eligible for a 'rookie' award. If Bogut had of lined up for the Kings as planned, he too would have been eligible for rookie of the year. The league definitely needs to change the rule, for sure.

Reply #355547 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

It does seem a little stupid. Moreover, why wasn't Luke Schenscher ROTY the season he played with Adelaide? Aaron Bruce won it from memory.

Maybe the NBL is just acknowledging his contribution to the league this year, which while brief, was still substantial.

It should be Bose who wins it.

Reply #355551 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

There is no doubt whatsoever that Bose should win it, if he doesn't he would have been robbed!

Reply #355553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mills was acknowledged for his contribution to the league: the Melbourne Tigers paid him. I doubt he'd expect anything more and the league certainly shouldn't be making any more allowance than maybe a mention during the MVP awards that Mills would've been a strong chance had he played out the season.

Reply #355554 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The eligibility rules changed when BA took over the NBL. The rule seemed to be players who hadnt played an NBL game previously were eligible. I think the Madgen situation forced another change last year, and it now looks like it is players who havent been on a full NBL roster, with DPs still eligible.

Reply #355560 | Report this post

alex loughton played for years in europe and then came back to nbl and was eligible for rookie as well

Reply #355578 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he was eligible because he had only played one year in a lower level comp to the NBL?

Reply #355581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754