Years ago

36ers @ Hawks thread

36ers away vs Hawks
Matt Campbells last game
Tipping Wollongong

Topic #27888 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever wins finishes 8th and the loser 'wins' the wooden spoon also according to Boti:

ADELAIDE must beat Wollongong tomorrow to avoid ending the NBL season with its lowest-ever winning record after squandering last night's thriller in Cairns.

The Taipans went into their last match of the regular season without their starting frontcourt, both Alex Loughton and Ian Crosswhite ruled out with injury and the door open for a 36ers' upset.

Reply #355760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6ers are atrocious, deserve to finish last and be exploited on the ladder for what they are, the worst team. Have to go backwards to go forwards, because with ANOTHER last place finishing, then perhaps the drastic changes that need to be implemented will occur.

Reply #355761 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Wollongong!

Reply #355762 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

On individual talent alone, the Sixers would win, but from my observations of the two teams this year, I expect the Sixers to capitulate to the Hawks and I won't be surprised if it is by more than 20 points.

Beyond the two surprise wins against the Wilcats, the Sixers have rarely shown, as a collective, sufficient determination and apptitude to win when faced with adverse challenges during the season and although they have presented a unified front (not one player broke ranks to go on record to criticize the coaches after the Cairns debacle........but lets see what gets said in the post-season), their overall play has reflected that of a group hoping its individual talents will be enough for a win on any given night.

In other words, either come with a unified determination and commitment to beat the Sixers or face the possibility of walking out the stadium with a loss.

As bad as the Hawks overall performances have been this season they have shown more commitment to working as a collective to overcome adversity and talent deficiencies.

I expect the Hawks, as as group, will be better prepared, more committed and more disciplined than the Sixers, but then again perhaps the Sixers might have one last surprise left to offer their frustrated fans. Recent history suggests they don't.

Reply #355763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordie and Soup will ensure the hawks will come out and play hard at the very least

Reply #355767 | Report this post

Remember Apollo  
Years ago

Has it really come to this? We have to beat a no budget team of broken down old men, rejects from other clubs and no hopers* to avoid getting the spoon, and I am tipping us to lose. It's just sad.

*Oscar excepted of course :)

Reply #355768 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Apollo, that's the long and the short of it!

Reply #355771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah wollongong is a team that highlights the fact that Australia cant support more teams on Australian taklent, when you got 2 guys past 35.. and a whole lot of offcuts that no one else wouldve bothered with... if we lose tonight it would be a sham, but i agree... big changes for adelaide need to be made.

Reply #355773 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Apollo, Oscar was rejected by the Breakers, so no need to make an exception. Harsh call on their team, but sentiment from the 36ers perspective is fair. Pretty tragic end to our year. Just count yourself lucky that you don't support both teams!

Reply #355776 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The problem we have in the NBL is no one cares about how good a side plays except the fans.

Tigers and sixers are both full of coaches and players that were never been part of the club until $$$ signs were flashed in front of their eyes. Now the Tigers look like their team is all going to leave and the sixers are probably in the same boat considering players are on the market.

At season's end, players will leave, coaches will be sacked and the Tigers and Sixers fans will be left wondering what ever happened to their once great clubs.

Reply #355781 | Report this post

Remember Apollo  
Years ago

Isaac, Oscar may have been let go by the Breakers, but I think he is good value. Wish we still had him at the sixers. FM, your comments reflect something I was getting at in an earlier thread. With the high turnover of players in this league, how can a coach or captain appeal to club pride to inspire players to get a win. The majority of the players in our team could not care less about this club and it's fans. They were not here last year or the one before and won't be here next year. To them it's just a payday, and I think it shows on the court, especially since we have been out of playoff contention. As such I think fans these days should be thinking the same way. Perform or you are out the door. If anyone thinks we can tinker around the edges with this line up and get a championship I think they are dreaming. Don't get me wrong, I would love to go back to the old days where you could support your team through thick or thin, because they were YOUR team, but I have been disillusioned by being a mug up until now supporting a "team" of businessmen on the court who don't care at all about their fans, as suggested by the rubbish they have been serving up on the court.

Reply #355783 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

You'd almost rather play the Breakers in NZ than Wollongong in Wollongong for Soup's last game. There will be too much emotion and desire in this game for the 36ers to overcome.

Wollongong by 15 for mine. Game preview below.

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/cheers-nbl-preview-adelaide-v.html

Reply #355792 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Remember Apollo, its as though you have seen into my inner thoughts! Couldnt agree anymore with your above post.

Reply #355796 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gordie's gotta a few tricks ..for us tonite.
It was a long time ago since I played .
Thought I saw a 5 man switching zone ? leaving Cooper all alone , last nite? Don't think Cooper scored anything . did he..?
Anyways , Catron was best , well , best for half a game he played..
Heal yelled out to deliberately foul and we couldn't do that , way back when I played so long ago..
I think that was 2 and possesion , back then..
All things must change..

Reply #355800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any score

Reply #355809 | Report this post

new in town  
Years ago

a score - yes Hawks playing right into Clarke's cleaver trap, scoring 15pts to 36er's 4pts in the first 3:45 of the first quarter - Hawks will tire from running and scoring and 36'ers will win when they get the exhausted hawks to foul down to 1 player.

Reply #355813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting SMASHED!! 59-38 at half time. Please end the year now before it gets even more embarrassing!!!!

Reply #355820 | Report this post

new in town  
Years ago

Patience, we will come back , Marty said we would kick Campbell out the doer, and that he had a game plan to win by 100 ! Have some faith.

Has he ever let us down ?

Reply #355821 | Report this post

new in town  
Years ago

Once they get enough false confidence, they will put Zac on the floor , and we will go small and post him up , and come home ridding a tidal wave of point scoring that will never have been seen before.

Reply #355822 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

lol great comments.

Campbell deserves to win in his last game and Clarke deserves to lose in hopefully his last game as Sixers coach.

Reply #355823 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Has Marty got some agreement with DJ to play him big minutes? He has played every minute of the game so far while Simpson has had plenty of rest on the bench. Is he pandering to DJ as he appears to do to Weigh in order to keep them onside with him?

Reply #355824 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Wooden Spoon here we come!!!!!!!!!
2nd Bottom last year,this year BOTTOM ,SOS have your meeting to dismiss Clarke and sign a new coach before the Free agency occurs!This is embarrassing for Club and the SOS group.

Al Green is the man to replace and will get back the members as well.

Reply #355828 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Observer, 2nd bottom last year was being too kind to the Sixers as Sydney had formed a new team so that is the only reason why we finshed 2nd to bottom. Either way congratulations must go out to Clarke for beating last seasons worst season record in Sixers history by going one worse this season.

Reply #355830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank God it's over! NEXT Season thanks!

Reply #355833 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Bottom again.

Does anyone NOT want Marty fired at this point?

Hurry up, before this franchise sinks deeper.

Reply #355837 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Finally our miserable season is over. Please sack the coaching staff. This club is in crisis and we need a lot of help.

Reply #355840 | Report this post

new in town  
Years ago

SOS - please, Please, PLEASE wait until AFTER the renewal date for season ticket holders before sacking Clarke, as I think I have first dibs on a set of 4 seats I've been after for absolute ages, and the long term holder has promised that if Clarke stays , He's not renewing.

Just a few days PLEASE - then you will get even more tickets sold as he will need to buy a new set of 4 , and I'm only holding 2 ATM, that's a 25% season ticket holder increase just by holding off a few days - Come on - you know it makes commercial sense -- PLEASE !

Reply #355845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its sucks how there is no draft in the NBL! Congrats to Matt Campbell

Reply #355847 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

fstos - looks like the agreement with Dj had the same effect as it did on Weigh - 31% shooting from a Centre - and 2 games in a row. Get me a pooper scooper someone.

Reply #355848 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

King James, I assume you are not a Clarke fan?

Reply #355849 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Its all that's left to be said.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-ECUtkv2qV8&v=-ECUtkv2qV8&gl=AU

Reply #355850 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Congratulations to the club on winning the wooden spoon that it so richly deserves.

Reply #355854 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Wx230gYJw

failure the first time, this might work

Reply #355855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty's 3 year plan:

Year 1-2nd to bottom

Year 2-Wooden spoon

Year 3-Relegation to the ABL?

Reply #355856 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Anyone got Al Green's number?

Reply #355857 | Report this post

new in town  
Years ago

in response to your question Loco , yes, every existing NBL coach, probably including Clarke and even Ninnis , ( or did you mean his ACTUAL phone number ?)

Reply #355865 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

As per Apollo. The teams we have fielded under Ninnis and now Clarke play with no passion. Both coaches quoted at the start of their tenures to be a tough defensive unit, yet we (the Sixers) have the worst for points against. They just don't show any emotion. Under Smythe they played with passion and excitement. They were given confidence to play. Farley would always pump up the crowd with his arm waving while on court. Cattalini and Sapwell always were aggressive and passionate. And you new that Maher would die for his fellow teamates. Todays team look like a bunch of bystanders. They let the opposition walk in for layups. We used to have the slowest player in the league with Rees, but he would knock you over in the paint. As fans we just want passion and some fight to win. Some reaction to the fans cheers. Some emotion please players. The coaches and players are just too much in the background in the media and show no character. If they build it the fans will come. The want to win is what I want.

Reply #355866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

New in town, nice Al Green joke!

Reply #355875 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Why Al? His great record at Torrens Valley and now Woodville do not rate him as a great coach, surely.
I highly respect the man, but thought that Marty was the man to revive the 36ers also.
It would be a pity to see a legend remembered as a losing coach-- again.

Reply #355876 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Boti's recap. Not much analysis beyond the bare facts of the game, but I'm sure he'll unleash in the next couple of days.

Reply #355877 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

From the looks of the FIBA live stats it looks like we almost conceded this one. Honestly, WTF happened? I understand that the Hawks had something other than avoiding the wooden spoon to play for but this is a joke.

Other than questioning his game day coaching I've not really been convinced that its all Clarke's fault. I think the players need to shoulder this as well but I now think that the 36ers definitely need a new coach. In his two years in charge we have actually gone backwards.

Sure the injuries to Balls & Cross didn't help but when you consider that we've been in the bottom 2 on the ladder ALL SEASON with a group of players that were touted as possible finals contenders before the season started I think that shows that the coach is just not getting the best out of his players and is likely not to in the future.

Now I'll say its time for a change.

Reply #355882 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Look on the bright side, we at least got the wooden spoon. Those team that just missed out on the playoffs got nothing.

Reply #355883 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I love a great game plan. Let the South Australian kid kick our arse and top score the game. At least the fans back home will be happy for Oscar.

Reply #355886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least we get the number 1 draft pick! That's why we have been tanking right? Oh wait wrong game.

Reply #355887 | Report this post

in2unme  
Years ago

Special moment when that buzzer went giving us the keys to the dungeon.
And being at the game, the coach was smiling. Must be a payrise to get bottom finish. Like a business, the CEO gets a payrise when they do bad.

Whats worse, from game time to game end, the people around noted we had gone from being respected to a laughing stock and more so in the last 3 years. So this bull that 36ers are knowledgeable and all that is crap. They like us cos we allow the same crap to go on. Do you think, if the 36ers were the crows their fans would allow crap like this. Neil craig found that out the hard way.

Just the same old same old. Plenty of people who need tissues either on forums or in life. Dont whinge hear, tell the club exactly what you think. They probably get 3 or 4 bad letters a week which means, the rest are happy with the coach, players, game nights etc.

Cant wait til next year. What shall we finish next year? Top?

Reply #355891 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

According to my brother the TV news tonight reported that Marty Clarke has been called in to see 36ers management early this week, reportedly for a 'please explain' on the season results and now finishing last. Should be interesting to see the outcome of that.....

Reply #355893 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

LOL! Well played new in town :)

But no, really, let's go Green. It's the way of the future. Hybrid cars and all that.

Reply #355900 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Remember kids; wins and losses don't matter.

Three year plan.

All is well.

Reply #355901 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

The loss was to be expected, not excusing the performance but no rational 36ers fan thought we'd win that based on what we'd seen all year. The wins over Perth were the only unexpected wins all year. We lost every game we thought we would and won every game we should have. Game blog here

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/at-least-its-over36ers-v-hawks-25312.html

Reply #355903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holden,

Grantham said in the paper today that that is a regular end of season meeting. However on the bright side she did say Marty has a contract "for now"!

Personally I think if they do sack him (big if I know) they'll wait awhile until the dust settles, look at all the numbers and maybe sound out a few prospective coaches first. They need to do the right thing and end the Marty Clarke era though.

DJ was 5/16 today so went 11/34 from the field for the weekend, I'll say it again can't believe the wraps some have on this guy.

Reply #355911 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wrong Forcey, we lost alot of games we should have BASED on the roster we have. That roster in a flash in the pan moment beat a tough Tigers team with Patty Mills, that was my only highlight for the year. The coach was unable to get the best out of this bunch consistantly, and struggled in tactical moments and with his rotations. Probably a lovely guy, but not an NBL standard coach. Start with his axing, and go from there.

Reply #355942 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"DJ was 5/16 today so went 11/34 from the field for the weekend, I'll say it again can't believe the wraps some have on this guy."

Anonymous who would you have instead of DJ then? Khazzouh will not leave Sydney. Schenscher injury hampered and only a few seasons to go. Nevill is slow.

Even with those bad games he ended up for the season shooting 44% FG, 38% 3P, 76% FT I think that is quite effective.

DJ isn't the complete player yet and will have some poor games but he is the best center we can get in the current situation. Having said that if he ask for too much in the off season we might have to let him go.

Kobe24, great points there! As fans we have just become complacent to the level of performance the team has been playing at and just expect to lose when the talent level in this team is good enough to challenge for a playoff spot. Instead we finish dead last.

Reply #355947 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Marty's game plan was to win by 100 in both the Taipans and Hawks game. Just another 2 examples of his string of successful game plans, haha.

Reply #356069 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754