basketball tragic
Years ago

are we getting the travel call correct ?

hi all,

watching the ncaa finals - looks like a lot of players can lead out and catch on a single pivot foot then square up and lift that pivot as they dribble off the non catch foot.

i have never seen the american ncaa rules- do they play to FIBA ? as when I see it - looks like it would get called as travel here.

also lots of other foot shuffling getting set for outside shots at times appeared allowed - yet at other times the refs call a clear travel on certain other moves - particularly post players stepping around.

are we too quick to call travel here in aust ?
does ncaa have slightly different ruling ?
who fares best with international refs under FIBA rules ?

Topic #27899 | Report this topic

ANON12  
Years ago

It is my understanding that ther NCAA and NBA rules differ with regards to the travel call, particularly in the back court. Rarely called in back court unless player is under pressure and gains a distinct advantage. IMO the FIBA travel rule is not well administered in Australia, particularly at the ABA and NBL/WNBL levels. Too often the post player is allowed to shuffle or change the pivot foot and gain an advantage and score a basket or draw a foul after they have travelled. A classic situation was the WNBL semi final in Adelaide where Liz Cambage was allowed to move her feet wherever she wanted in the low post area and nothing was called. IMO (again) the official in the lead position gets TOO CLOSE to the baseline and don't see the feet because they are TOO CLOSE. The question about international games is really dependant on where the referees are from. Nowadays the level of refereeing from the major countries in Europe is fairly even. Aussies referees also are well received overseas. Referees from the USA however do not seem to be as consistent because they are not used to FIBA rules.

Reply #355976 | Report this post

basketball tragic  
Years ago

maybe due to playing in the states Liz has had to move more to get the basket moves and she brought this technique back with her.

Reply #355981 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

It's retarded how many travels don't get called these days, especially guards recievin an inbound pass. If you travel in an open court like that it should be called regardless of defensive pressure. If you have to travel when nobody is on you, you shouldn't be on the court

Reply #355987 | Report this post

gloss  
Years ago

Yeah agree and it seems depending on the situation in the game the will call it!A Bose and Jacob Holmes travel every single time they touch the ball.

Reply #355994 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think the NBL gets a lot of 'Spin Dribbles' wrong.

I don't know how many times I have seen NBL players do a legitimate spin dribble, only to be called for travel.

Abercrombie gets murdered on these wrong calls.

Reply #355995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about players that jump stop then do a stepthrough move. Refs get this wrong all the time. The rule with travel is simple. You have pivot foot and can pivot as much you like without moving your pivot foot. You can then put ur non pivot foot down AND lift your pivot foot and as long as you dont put it back down before you shoot ITS NOT TRAVEL!!!

Reply #355999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon999

You can then put ur non pivot foot down AND lift your pivot foot and as long as you dont put it back down before you shoot ITS NOT TRAVEL!!!

Please read this to MACDUB above you as this is why Abercrombie gets called for a travel every spin move. He picks up the ball thus establishing his pivot, starts to spin, place none pivot foot on ground, lifts pivot foot and then replaces it as he comes around. Its a travel everytime. The only time is if he keeps the pivot foot in the air and elevates. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Reply #356009 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

356009 - that is correct. Once you lift your pivot foot you must then either pass or shoot the ball. Once you place your pivot foot back on the floor it is a travel - SIMPLE.

Reply #356012 | Report this post

basketball tragic  
Years ago

off a jump stop you can step through - where the travel get missed on jump stops is the bunny hop jump stop (dribble, pick the dribble up (one step before the jump stop) and stop dribbling then move off that step to a bunny hop jump stop and then step through is travel)- i am talking about a stride step catch on the front foot, pivot and square up, then lift / move that pivot usually with a dribble off the other foot.

Reply #356013 | Report this post

basketball tragic  
Years ago

anon 12 is on the money as far as what i understand here is aust

Reply #356014 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754