Well deserved IMO.

Topic #27909 | Report this topic

Mutley  
Years ago

Agreed. Congratulations DJ!

Reply #356068 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

A bright spot in an otherwise forgettable season. Well done DJ.

Reply #356071 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Actually wouldve gone with Jacob Holmes, not only did he improve massively on previous years, he made a difference to his teams win column in a biggggg way. Dj didnt really.

Reply #356086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I thought Holmes deserved it for what he did on a playoff team compared to DJ stat padding on a shit team. In saying that Holmes did drop off considerably right around the time he signed that contract extension with the Crocs in January.

Reply #356090 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think this was a deserving choice. DJ certainly emerged whereas Holmes more of 'rediscovered' so to speak...

Reply #356099 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The votes:

Daniel Johnson (Adelaide) 40
Jacob Holmes (Townsville) 38
Jesse Wagstaff (Perth) 38
Alex Pledger (New Zealand) 9
Cameron Tragardh (Melbourne) 9
Tom Abercrombie (NZ) 7
Luke Nevill (Perth) 7
Rhys Martin (Wollongong) 7
Ben Madgen (Sydney) 2
Todd Blanchfield (Townsville) 2
Adam Gibson (Gold Coast) 2
Aaron Bruce (Sydney) 1

Reply #356110 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I think that Jacob Holmes probably would have won had his form not dropped a bit since he signed his 2 year extension contract with the Crocs.

Wagstaff can probably feel a little unlucky because I think as much as DJ has improved somewhat he really is just showing what people have known about him for a few years now. Give him the court time and his stats will be up there (3rd in the league in scoring, 5th in rebounding and blocks).

Don't get me wrong, I do believe DJ has improved his game but I also believe that its got a lot to do with with him now getting decent court time to show what he's capable of which some people (including those in the NBL) seem to be mistaking for significant improvement. If you look at his career before 2011-12 (including his year at Pepperdine College) and you look at this seasons stats he has basically doubled everything, but its also come with almost double the court time. Yes doubling his stats shows improvement but IMO at least the improvement isn't as significant as we're led to believe because he was always a good player. He just wasn't being given the opportunity to show it.

However, in saying all that I am not knocking the bloke at all because I think he is a player the 36ers need to fight hard keep and build around and well done to him for winning the award :)

Reply #356246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754