Isaac
Years ago

Would a college team beat an NBA team?

Van Gundy's response made me laugh:

The Orlando Magic coach was asked about comments by former Maryland coach Gary Williams, who told a Washington radio station he thought the Wildcats could beat the NBA's Washington Wizards in one game at Rupp Arena.

The Wildcats, the favorites to win the NCAA championship, have multiple players who are expected to be NBA lottery picks. Forward Anthony Davis could be the No. 1 overall pick if he enters the draft.

That's not enough for Van Gundy.

"Look, it's absurd," he said before the Magic faced the New York Knicks. "I mean, people will say, 'Oh, Kentucky, you know's, got four NBA players.' Yeah, well the other team's got 13."
Full story

His extended comment says that yes, a college team could win on their night, but it'd be rare and for the most part or over a series they'd be easily beaten.

Topic #27944 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

loved the quote there "they have 4 NBA players... yeah well the other teams got 13".... GOLD... exactly true.... on there best nights they could pull it off but it wouldnt be something you would put your money on!

Reply #356553 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I remember a team in Europe that sports illustrated claimed could beat a couple of NBA teams. I think the team had on it David Andersen and maybe also Trajan Langdon but don't quote me. But I do remember those two players being mentioned in the article.

Reply #356578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

European teams have beaten NBA teams before no big deal, Barcelona beat the Lakers 2-3 years ago.

However a college team would get murdered by an NBA team.

Reply #356589 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

With referees who are able to tell what a travel is the top euro teams could easily be championship teams in the NBA...

Bottom NBA teams could lose to Top college teams though no problem I'd say

Reply #356601 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Love your first comment Ricey but cant agree with your second.

Reply #356615 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think lowly NBA teams would beat college teams but how competitive European teams would be is another question. Winning a championship is another thing.

Reply #356621 | Report this post

LMAO  
Years ago

The current Kentucky team has 2 top 5 picks and 3 other draft guys.

And their first 8 might all play NBA at some point.

8 NBA players is probably more than the Bobcats have right now.

Reply #356624 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Yeah, Barcelona beat the Lakers a few years ago in a Pre-season game, really didn't mean anything.

Reply #356629 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Assuming the 1 year of college minimum rule was not in place:

Anthony Davis: Could have been last drafts #1 overall pick, averaging 12-16ppg and 7-10rpg

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: Been a Lottery Pick in the last draft, averaging 9-12ppg and 4-6rpg

Terrance Jones: Could be 2010 1st round pick, averaging 5-8ppg

Lamb and Teague would also have been draft picks by now. Darius Miller will be an NBA player in 6 months too.

This kentucky side might not beat the wizards or bobcats but I think they have some fire power that could handle a pro side

Reply #356765 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754