Donny
Years ago

Basketball in Asia....

Can somebody tell me how big basketball is in Asia and how their teams compare to ours (NBL).

I read that the wildcats will be playing up to 4 games in Singapore for the 06/07 season.

Why wouldn't a group get together and start a franchise in Asia and play in the NBL, seems like the logical thing doesn't it?

Topic #2799 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

The NBL spreading into Asia is a natural progression. Huge population means huge dollars.

I think Rick Burton has hinted at more and more NBL games being played in Asia, and eventually a 'Champions League' style comp being set up. I like the idea

Reply #31785 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Im currently in the Philippines. Basketball is HUGE over here. You think AFL is big in OZ, basketball over here is probably 10 times more popular than that. Having played ABL/SBL in SA when i was younger & In SBL in WA i think The PBA (pro) teams here could probably compare to the top ABA/SBL teams but not the NBL squads. NBL teams would kill em. The ABA should send a squad to play here in one of the invitational tournaments. It would be a great experience for any aussie baller. You cant fathom how big ball is here!!!

Reply #31992 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

The PBA is the premier league in asia. Check it out www.pba.com.ph
Mark Sanford of the Sydney Kings, Chris Burgess of Cairns are 2 of the imports currently playing

Reply #31994 | Report this post

rebskii  
Years ago

hey, what happened to the FIBA Asia Champions Cup? anyone with an update?

Reply #133916 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754