lolly
Years ago

Wortho, where will he end up?

Blaze, Snakes, 6ers, or 2nd melb team?

Perhaps europe?

Topic #28032 | Report this topic

Marius  
Years ago

Well simply due to his international experience and career reputation, he will get a better gig than most guys, despite his poor season.
He does do a lot off the ball, and has a half decent all-round game. Can create mismatches on offense, and is a half decent defender. But definitely not worth the pay packet he would demand on the back of said experience and reputation.
Wouldn't want him on my team, unless he swallowed his pride to come off the bench, didn't demand to be the focal point of the offense, nor camp outside the 3 point line as much as he has been doing this season. Doubt we will be seeing that happen though.

Sixer's should not go after him, unless they can't re-sign Diamon, and cut/lose Balls. Not worth the points.

Could see maybe the Crocs going after him. The Snakes might have a crack, considering Dusty won't be back. Tigers could use him to shore up the 4 spot, as Trigger is unreliable due to lingering injury issues.

If Europe comes calling though, it might suit him better. He has a good international game, and could be good insurance for a few teams off the bench.

Who knows though with Wortho.

Reply #357797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares!

Reply #357800 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Not a free agent, nor wants to leave the Blaze. So he will be on the Gold Coast next year.

Reply #357804 | Report this post

moo moo  
Years ago

dusty is signed by snakes for next season. has been for a while...

Reply #357814 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Rumour he might go to cairns,they might use one import and make big dollar to worthy.hes not stayin at Gold coast.

Reply #357818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why is he not staying at gold coast ?

Reply #357819 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Joey can only coach guards.

Reply #357834 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

He is under contract so I'd say he will be at the Blaze

Reply #357835 | Report this post

moo moo  
Years ago

we dont want him. not worth the money, also shafted us a few years back. reneged on signing.gold coast can keep him.

Reply #357840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe the 36ers ever had any intention to sign him in the past.

I do remember one article years ago in The Advertiser:
*Supposedly* he was willing to play here prior to going to the Gold Coast and we led him on a little bit before deciding to stop pursuing him, but the 36ers denied this. And it's hard not to believe the 36ers considering at the time they had just about a full roster already and Worthington would not have fit into the points cap (let alone salary cap).

Reply #357848 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Wortho won't leave the great deal he's got a GC. Will be expecting the Captaincy with Harvey going.

Reply #357859 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The only way I could see it happening would be if another team took on the same deal.

Reply #357865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only way he wont be on the coast next season is if there is no team there next year.

Reply #357869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://starting5.com.au/nbl-news/823-blaze-extends-worthington-by-3-years

Very Old I know. But for 180k a year I doubt u wOuld turn your back on that. Assuming he inked the deal

Reply #357870 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's always funny when I read all this stuff about teams cutting players willy nilly, it's not that easy and really, if it was, it would make the league a farce... I know that some GMs have skated around the legalities and moral grey areas a lot, but if this sort of crap continues on it will make the NBL a laughing stock...

The Blaze signed him for three years and back-ended his contract with a bunch of cash so they could have a loaded team for longer... They have to suck it up now that it's not working to plan... They wouldn't be complaining if he didn't have that form slump, so take the bad with the good...

Reply #357875 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think anyone is talking about him being cut as such. I think the talk (and that's all it is at this stage) is another team taking on his contract and Wortho agreeing to it.

Reply #357883 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

And that will only be Melbourne and as their Captain (this time in writing). Have no doubt that Anstey will be discussing the possibility with the owners but
it's just too big an investment on top of the big changes they want next season. Blaze Captaincy will give Wortho the lever he needs to self-market which has been restricted this year. It is the most interesting of all the "pre 12/13" movements. Just can't see it happening.

Reply #357889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Blaze plan not working? They made the finals and won a game which is about what was expected.

Reply #357904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Isaac, I think almost everyone had it a Perth/NZ GF in pre-season predictions and given the injuries to Gibson & Harvey to win a game in the SF against Perth was an excellent achievement.

Both the Blaze & Crocs did well getting as far as they did this season.

Reply #357910 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Isaac, they were the third best team this year and, after a few bumps, that's where they ended up. I thought they might have been a bit closer to NZ, but that was more thinking NZ would take longer to adjust to 'post-Penney' before firing on all cylinders.

Reply #357928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754