Not sure
Years ago

18 Girls Nationals

This has to be one of the Worst results ever from a SA metro U18 Girls team!

Does this show that the incumbent can only win with players that have already show the ability to play. The groups over the last 4 years have all performed well at Classics and 14 Nationals. And that considerng this group is going to do worse than they did 2 years ago, even though their best player has returned from injury. Does it show that 2 years ago their result was actually quite good?

Topic #28110 | Report this topic

JB  
Years ago

Yes, it makes you wonder about that particular coach & whether he has just ridden the coat tails of great talent to good results.

The result 2 years ago was reasonable achievement considering the talent level at the coaches disposal.

Reply #358878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys are kidding right ! Without doubt the guy is the best coach in the under 18 program . If you are in the know and see the work he does and the technical knowledge he develops with the girls in the Norwood program you wouldn't question him at all. Sometimes it comes down to the girls and at a national level they aren't up to it

Reply #358887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a correlation between the district standard and national results. This group has been off the pace consistently and persevered with despite very average performances.
I don't think it's a secret that district girl's basketball is in crisis nor that the clusters of better players are in two or three clubs which means they do not improve because they are never pushed.
Mixed reports on the coaches but the plays don't seem to changes from year to year and the same old faces tag along. Change could not deliver worse results but we will never know because it's jobs for life.
The only disappointing facet of the debacle is that there were a handful of players with seemingly more potential that were never going to get a look in because of SA's policy of sticking with the previously identified and never questioning if they have it right.
Selecting for higher honours before nationals, irrespective of timing, should also come into question and highlights that real performance is not much of a factor once a player has been identified.

Reply #358890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of the 6 top aged girls selected, 5 were from a group 2 years ago that finished 8th, there is 1 top aged player who did not play in that nationals 2 years ago due to injury albeit their best player.
There are 4 bottom aged girls selected from a U16 group last year that finished 9th.
I know this age group reasonably well, I cant remember any good results (top 4) from this group of players when they have been top age players at the classics or u14 nationals.
I would disagree there are any players who have "seemingly more potential" than the group selected, with the exception of one forestville girl who represented SA 2 years ago but did not try out this year.
Really, would any reasonable person expect this years team to finish high?

Reply #358900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think 2 of the Syurt girls might have made the team, but 1 has been injured and the other didnt try out.

Reply #358905 | Report this post

GoVics  
Years ago

Without knowing a whole lot of what is going on over the border there .... couple of observations ...

1. Height - as has been observed in another thread, height has become much more of a factor in junior girls basketball ... Liz Cambage led it off a few years back, and this year Vic has the triple towers, all around 190cm or more.

Might be just a lucky age group right now for Vic, but it allows a much more balanced inside/outside game plan when you've got the inside option to match shooting power.

2. Which brings me to - Game Plan - SA v Vic, SA 7 from 31 beyond the arc ..... come again !! 31 attempts wow ... now perhaps that was the game plan to overcome the Vic talls, but you would have to bomb an amazing percentage for that to work ... is that a coaching issue, was that the instruction ? I really don't know, just posing the question ...

But hey, look on the bright side ... your boys aren't doing so bad ...

Reply #358906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

900: If you don't expect the girls to get better and be more competitive after several years of SASI and several state squad months, just when do you expect them to improve, before retirement age?

They were the wrong choices years ago and delivered poor results and were rewarded accordingly with more of the same. There is no accountability associated with SA basketball but a lot of rhetoric.

Just where was the development of these players to go with their centre of excellence trainings from SASI and state? Why aren't expectations of significant improvement monitored and if as you say no reasonable person expected them to finish high why did they stick with these players?

Does Neil go anywhere apart from Sturt to watch the age groups or does he purely rely on his network of certain coaches to push the cases of players for consideration?

Unlike you I think he and the selectors missed several girls who would have contributed more than half this team and I also believe it's time to ship in new talent coaching in the girls. No improvement should not be rewarded with further coaching gigs. Running a game plan that requires three point shooting might require three point shooters and coaches with the ability to coach shooting skills which is evident it does not.

Losing isn't an issue but the way they lose and the lack of competitiveness in the group is all sheeted back to SASI and the coaching staff.

Reply #358911 | Report this post

Art Vanderlay  
Years ago

If he was doing such great technical work with his club team, why are they sitting so low on the table? Is he just good at coaching good players? Was he the wrong choice for this team who maybe needed more of a development coach with and different game plan? He usually tries to play fast, press and has his teams shoot 3 pointer, as evidence in their boxscores for the tournament. Was this their strength, or did he try and make a driving tam shot 3's?

Reply #358917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My question would more be related to two years ago. From memory the coaches were roundly criticised for their 8th placed finish, without their Australian rep.

Now it looks as though that was quite a good result. So I'm not necessarily willing to say the current U18 coach is terrible (he does have a good track record), but more than the coach 2 years ago did well with what he had.

Reply #358920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

920: At the time, the result 2 years ago was the lowest finish of an U16s team for a very long time. The U18 coach will not improve on that result this year. Vindicated for the result... yes, but a lot of the criticism towards the U16 coach was about his behaviour.

Reply #358933 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

As a non-SA person who has attended numerous Nationals in the past on the girls side of things (and knows none of the personnel invlved in this debate) as a Dad, Assistant Coach and team advisor (interested other), not all at the same time,there's a couple of commenst I feel are worth making.

1 - SA seems to be able to produce outstanding players which doesn't seem to translate to team success (almost the opposite of the Vics).
2 - I'm not convinced there is a genuine team spirit in all SA teams (not a particualr one in the NSW teams I was involved with, definitely is in Qld, and the Vics have a level of 'confidence' which is all their own!).
3 - I do recall a must-win game in the pool rounds (Qld Sth v SA Country) at 18's 2 years ago when the game was on the line- the elastic was at 10 pts down and going further down before the half was going to be catastrophic for the tournament - all four SA 'studs' were sitting - margin was 16 at the half, game over. Defied reason.
4 - Talent ID is a vexed question. All of our resources into the 'chosen ones' (it then becomes very difficult to admit mistakes via selection) OR spread the love and risk not getting anything done. I have a daughter who's been on the outside and I know how frustrating that is. Given that - she'll find her own way if wants to and has already moved past a number of the chosen ones.
5 - It's easy to say throw the coach out and do not 'reward' poor performances. While that's a nice notion, the pool of potential coaches is not necessarily as big as you might think. I'd love to still be working with State teams but simply cant afford the time or money to do so.
6 - Who funds your High Performance guys? If its BA (as I suspect) he will be being judged by the number of players who progress as individuals (follow the money - ASC to BA based on International Rankings and medals; - BA - States based on prducing players who mainatin that funding); parents to States - based on what is best for their child - individual recognition being the primary driver?). Nowhere in that mix is team performance at Nationals and BA have shown again and again that they simply do not recognise performances at Nationals. Case in point - Qld S v Vic Metro 18's girls final, 2 years ago, Vics win by 2. Vics - 5 National Team players, Qld Sth - 2. Case in point 2 - each of at least the past 2 years the National U20 squad has been named one week prior to the National U20's.

Perhaps just some external perspective?

Reply #358938 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

sa badly lack height in all junior girls basketball

Reply #358944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If an U18 coach can't improve on the results of the 16's two years ago with all the state and sasi over that period neither he nor the team are the right people.By improvement I mean margins of losses,competitiveness, shooting percentages, and in every stat.The stats over time suggest some players are not at the level required and that suggests neither are the sasi and state coaches.

Team spirit is always an issue ankles because the one thing that Qld do is give their young people responsibility. They let them have free time, you see them on the streets with their parents. S A teams go into lockdown as if guarding naughty children and are over-coached to the extent that players are frightened to make mistakes. Only certain players are ever given the incentive to play freely because they know they will not be dragged.

SA is a state where individual success is manufactured to ensure the continuity of the status quo. Team spirit in an environment headed by the present staff would not have a very high priority and the communication that emanates from leadership falls short of modelling it's importance.Having coaches who, one, are alive and two, communicate would be a step in the right direction.

For so long basketball has been owned and directed by the very few and the failure of the local district scene is directly related to a lack of vision and leadership. Several clubs cannot field teams in every age group at district div one or two level in the girls consequently byes and a lack of weekly strong competitive games is the norm. Worse is the fact that most of the players in state teams come from two or three clubs and do not get hardened by weekly games.

This has been the reality of SA basketball for about 3 or four years. Not enough girls interested in playing and too many quitting after or during 18's.BSA add to the woes by adding clubs to crowded district areas and implement schemes designed to attract but simply confuse.

Unless BSA find a way of evening the playing strength of the competition not only will more players drop out but the teams chosen for nationals will never be adequate because of their weekly non-competition. How good are coaches that have the best players in the comp but only have one or two other clubs with good players to play against? How do they or their players ever test themselves?

The National's result is a symptom of illness in the parent not in the children. BSA and it's predecessor BASA was and is about jobs for life and is visionless.

Reply #358949 | Report this post

LMAO  
Years ago

So how do we all explain the silver medal from last year? Where one injury during the final might have been the difference of Gold against an opponent who has not only 6 times the population, but more than likely 20 times the basketball playing population?

Some times you just dont have the horses.

Reply #358960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Explanation is ais sa playing ais Vic in the U20's

Reply #358963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pps, most times you don't have the jockeys

Reply #358964 | Report this post

LMAO  
Years ago

But if SA has been able to produce the playes recently, how does that hold for the current group. Its not like things have changed dramaticaaly one year to the next.

Reply #358990 | Report this post

JH5  
Years ago

The current U-18 Metro girls coach needs to be put out to pasture for a while! He is far too negative with his coaching style & actually severely impacts & limits the confidence of the girls in which he coaches. His coaching style to always full court press is too predictable at a National level & any coach with a decent press breaker will always break this press & score. He is very overated IMHO in relation to his coaching ability! The only times he achieved good results was with stud teams loaded with a lot of individual talent. Picking him to coach this talent challenged U-18 Metro Girls team was liking putting a square peg in to a round hole! C'Mon Neil wake up & start looking at new & emerging coaching talent elsewhwere.

Reply #359154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some groups are just better then others.

Otherwise where is the current Newley, Ingles?

Fact is some years no matter what you do, there may be a standout athlete. Some years there will be little.

Albury produced Lauren Jackson. Are you saying Albury did something different every other year and its Albury's fault we don't have a Jackson calibre player every year?

Reply #359157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to say the sacked lightning guy was the best state coach for years and years and the girls really liked his positive and reassuring style.

Knowledge has never been the issue with the head coach but every other facet is and the beat 'em up, train 'em to death and mutter only to the chosen few, ignoring everyone else doesn't build team or confidence. Nor does the lock them up and over train them approach.

Their worst performance was their last loss to Tasmania which they should have won but went down by 20. In today's game against the easy beats W A country they will dominate which mirrors what they do in club district games against inferior sides in a weak comp. Some big hearted players missed selection altogether or weren't in the mix to begin with because nobody looks at the individual players in the lower clubs nor is there the scouting done often enough to form informed opinions.

State coaching is a shambles over recent years with punched walls , drunken episodes and the under 20 fiasco but is anyone ever held accountable for the coaching woes? Apparently not. SASI has killed off a lot of the desire to play for many kids and state has become a tap on the shoulder rather than true selection with most not bothering at 20 level because of the politics.

If every state coach went to live beyond the black stump and all untried new coaches were called upon to fill their shoes from head coach to manager, things could only get better.

Reply #359161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You keep applying Shaun Richards

One day even a loser like you might get a go

NOT

Reply #359256 | Report this post

Years ago

starts in u10s and 12s - and that has developed into a social - play for the moment comp

Reply #359265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post 161- exactly why should managers be replaced as from where i have been both as a parent of a state player and a volunteer at Nationals these people are the unsung hero's on any state trip. They don't pick the team, they have no say, they work their arse off feeding and washing for the players, put up with prima dona coaches all so a parent can anonymous slag off on them. Mate get a fcking life.

Reply #359279 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754