Annon
Years ago

State champs

A few weeks away , but will the tide turn in 2012.?

When will the draw be out?

How does Sturt get 4 U16 teams in the event?

Topic #28128 | Report this topic

eagles nest  
Years ago

pretty easy to get 4 u16 teams in - but you can only nominate 1 team for points.

sturt u16b will have 1 team in state and 3 in reserves - they have 2 strong div 2 teams and their div 3s are top after 2 rounds - so it is a good opportunity for them to try out.

this year will be the eagles year -

state and reserve girls with a strong showing in a couple of state boys - will see them win overall state and reserves overall.

sturt will win boys state and boys reserve.

after that 3rd and 4th spots look the closest it has been for years with a multitude of clubs in the running.

it would take at least 2 major upsets for it not to be the year of the eagle !!

Reply #359077 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

draft draw out monday - but check this afternoon (fingers crossed)

Reply #359078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens for all the "errors' the usually happen with the seedings favouring a certain club?

Reply #359080 | Report this post

empire  
Years ago

forestville have 4 teams in u18s as well. end of the day the reserve grade is really open to anyone wanting a shot.

Reply #359100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon find an 'error' and share it with us.

Reply #359107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will have a look and get back to you.

What do I get for finding one?

Reply #359109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can almost garuantee the first game of pool A in 18 boys state will be between Sturt and Forrestville so they dont have to flog themselves the day before the cross over games

Reply #359111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the game against the 6th seed will be a early Saturday morning game, so the coach of 1 team can try and have his kids out oif bed earlier to get an advantage.

Reply #359118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you haven't found any errors in the pools?

Reply #359120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reserve U14 Girls.

Mavs have mysteriously be seeded 5th instead of 9th and thus avoid Forestville even though they didnt play summer. 8 teams who played summer seem to have nominated.

Reply #359123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would they be seeded 9th? They didn't come up from Division 3, they;re a brand new team.

Obviously the Committee decided they were better than 9th.

From the pools document
* Eastern did not compete in the Summer competition, so has been subjectively seeded at position 5

So is that an error or a difference of opinion?

Reply #359124 | Report this post

thetruth  
Years ago

Go North under 16 girls div1 great team!!!!

Reply #359127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely a brand new team. How exactly do they get seeded 5th? What do they have to go on?

Perhaps a rumour after 1 game that they are good. How many different factors could effect the outcome of that game?

If 8 teams play summer, surely they should get the top 8 seeds, and new teams should come in below. Otherwise, why play summer? Or use summer to grade teams?

Otherwise why cant a div 3 team be "subjectively seeded 5th". It opens up a can of worms on a number of levels. one of which is the recomendations come FROM Bsa to the committee. And what club is that person from, and why is it that rumour has it this team is good and then avoids both the top 2 Forestville teams, but gets to play both Norwood and Sturt?

Reply #359129 | Report this post

Years ago

read the rules for state champs - any new team can be seeded at the discretion of the comp committee (or similar).

div 3 teams get lowest reserve rankings - div 1 team get highest reserve rankings.

Once you read the by-laws pretty straight forward how mavs ended up with the seeding.

saw a div 3 team finish 5th or 6th a few years ago in u16G reserves - so don't put too much emphasis on reserve grade seedings

Reply #359132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The question is, why was this the only teams graded in such a way? And what was used to suggest this as a seeding? Yes it can be done. But why?

Who suggesated it and was it explained that it could be concieved to benefit the club they come from rather than using a rule, and was this explained to the competition committee?

Reply #359133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and who cares its the reserves competition, its only being used as a BSA cash cow, the only teams that should be allowed to play on this weekend are division 1 teams

Reply #359134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha that's code for - anon won, and found a seeding error. And the challenger has tried to deflect that...

Reply #359136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

134 isnt the person that was talking about the seedings

i promise

i am only interested in division 1 the only division that should count

Reply #359140 | Report this post

Years ago

hardly a cash cow - i applaud bsa for keeping it at a minimum - traditionally always been state and reserves

Reply #359143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon if this is the only team to be graded this way maybe that's because this is the only team at State Champs which didn't play in the District summer season?

Clearly you have a personal grudge. Move on mate.

Reply #359149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cash cow?

Compare nomination fee to Norwood and try and say this is run as a money maker.

Easter Classic, now there's a cash cow.

Reply #359151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this sort of thing haddnt happened every year for the last 5 years, including fa certain person having their team in the wrong pool, it might not be an issue.

Reply #359153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of thing? If you have an issue why not go through your club and fix it?

There is no error. Your Eastern issue has been explained.

There's no seeding error. And when the draw is released I'm sure you'll see that every grade is programmed the same way.

You're chasing ghosts man. Let it go.

Reply #359156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's happened time and time again over the last 3 or so years.

The Eastern issue has been "explained" under the terrible "subjectivity" clause. In other words, in a way where there is no accountability for such a decision. No suprises there though.

I'm not the anon talking about it previously, and this year it's looks pretty right for all the grades I've kept up with - but to say it hasn't happened in the past (for whatever the reason may be) is plain wrong.

Reply #359158 | Report this post

the first anon  
Years ago

Yes it can be explained. but that doesnt make it right.

saying, "hey we can let someone do what ever they want and you cant complain" doesn't do anything for the integrity of the game.

nor does people accepting it as the norm.

And in a previous year the comp manager has placed his team in the wrong pool which would hav emade it easier if it didnt get picked up.

Reply #359159 | Report this post

Years ago

let the results do the talking people

Reply #359162 | Report this post

the first anon  
Years ago

I still cant understand how Mavs get 5th spot on one persons 'opinion' without them playing a game.

And the problem is that this effect the results, so now you cant actually let the results do the talking.

Reply #359163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they don't

the competitions committee make these decisions.

Reply #359164 | Report this post

the first anon  
Years ago

Actually, the competitions committee ratify the decision on the suggestion of the competition manager.

Its not like anyone of the competition committee would in any way shape or form be able to "subjectively" rank any team who didnt play over summer.

I would have been put to the in a manner that didnt include any reason other than "have this is what I think".

Reply #359166 | Report this post

the first anon  
Years ago

And nothing will changeif my club did put anything forward, because it would be an admittance of guilt, and like everyone over the last 3 years, it has been rejected because it has been too late to change.

Reply #359167 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

In the Boys state, I have compared the seedings to the final rankings for summer season. (Yes, I realise BSA only look at it after 9 rounds)

U12B State: Seeds are same as final ladder position at end of season
U14B State: Seeds 1 to 7 same as final ladder position

Forestville Seeded 8th, finished 9th
West seeded 9th, finished 10th
North seeded 10th, finished 8th

U16B State: team,Seed, (ladder)

Forestville 1 (2)
North 2 (1)
Sturt 3 (3)
Norwood 4 (4)
Southern 5 (6)
Mavs 6 (5)
Woodville 7 (7)
West 8 (8)
South 9 (9)
Lions 10 (10)

U18B State: Seeds are same as final ladder position

In the boys state, probably close as can be.

The top two teams per div for me (and the most likely GF)
U12: Forestville v Woodville
U14: Norwood v Southern/Sturt
U16: Forestville v Sturt (The Forestville-North prelim to be the defacto GF)
U18: Forestville v Sturt

Reply #359181 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Southern Have shown no form in the u14 boys since their best kid left Jack. Not sure why the faith in them making it out of their pool, let alone into a GF?

Strut won u16b GF by 20 in summer so I'm not sure the preliminary will be the de facto GF.

Reply #359189 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

er, if Strut are going to win the U16B, then The Forestville-North prelim might be the battle of the best of the rest

Reply #359193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt U16B defeated by North I think at Norwood carnival.

Southern U14B easily beaten by North tonight who are seeded 10th. Can't see Southern getting anywhere in State Champs if they can't beat North

Reply #359195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt beat Woodville in 12 boys in a thriller.

Reply #359238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the draws up!!

Reply #359479 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754