LC
Years ago

Opals Announce May Training Squad

Basketball Australia have announced a squad of 20 players for a preliminary training camp squad to be held in May at the AIS in preparation for the London Olympics.

The squad is as follows:

Suzy Batkovic
Abby Bishop
Liz Cambage
Rohanee Cox
Cayla Francis
Kristi Harrower
Laura Hodges
Natalie Hurst
Lauren Jackson
Rachel Jarry
Kathleen MacLeod
Jenna O'Hea
Erin Phillips
Samantha Richards
Jennifer Screen
Belinda Snell
Marianna Tolo
Kristen Veal
Carly Wilson
Hanna Zavecz

Opals announce training camp squad

Any glaring omissions?

Topic #28139 | Report this topic

Step back  
Years ago

Kristen Veal back in the oz squad. I'm so happy for her after so many years plagued by injuries. After coming up and being with LJ, Penny Taylor and co. Always liked the heart and poise she played with when it came down to crunch time while others around her started to feel the nerves and tighten up

Reply #359281 | Report this post

Years ago

when are the cuts and how many are they taking away ?

Reply #359298 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Final team for London will be 12. I guess any further injuries that may yet eventuate could still have a further bearing on how the final team unfolds.

I like the depth and talent across all positions. Losing Taylor really hurts as she is a genuine super star...

Reply #359316 | Report this post

Years ago

agreed LC but we must look forward

Reply #359335 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

No glaring omissions there, just the cutting of the 2 injured players (Taylor & Penaluna) and two of the excess point guards (Poto & Flanagan)

Still too many in the squad IMO, but I guess if they can afford to carry this many then no major harm done.
The real interest will be the battle for the forward spots, which was the only cloudy area to begin with, but now suddenly also becomes crucial with Penny no longer there to play 30 minutes per game.

Reply #359341 | Report this post

Years ago

first 8 pick themselves - but the last 4 will be interesting.

Reply #359351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even as a Lightning fan I cannot see on stats or form how Screen gets in there over Madgen, Foley etc

Reply #359362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screen is there for defence

Reply #359367 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems ;
Cambage Batkovic
Jackson Bishop Francis
Ohea. .....
Snell Phillips
Harrower Richards Macleod
are still there.
Although I was told some of these cain't play.
I been looking for the doctors' cure.
Looking at hands , for the lines that were,
and through evey masterpiece of literature ,
for dignity.

Reply #359410 | Report this post

Years ago

didn't know Shakespeare was on the selection committee.....

Reply #359420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suprised Gretel Tippett (kurts sister) is not named?

Reply #359421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon I'd say you suprise easily considering that she no longer is playing basketball!

Reply #359429 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i agree with the Screen comment. I rate Madgen and Foley well above Screen!!

Reply #359446 | Report this post

Jiggy  
Years ago

On Screen's peformances in the WNBL last season there is no way she should in the final 20 for the Olympics. She is a shadow of her former self & does'nt warrant selection on her most recent form. As for Madgen she needs to demonstrate a more 'team' focus to move in to consideration for the Opals. It can't always be about shot attempts & she also needs exert more energy at the Defensive end as well! Hopefully Tom Maher can bring about an improvement in those aspects of her game at Bullen.

Reply #359596 | Report this post

Jiggy  
Years ago

On Screen's peformances in the WNBL last season there is no way she should in the final 20 for the Olympics. She is a shadow of her former self & does'nt warrant selection on her most recent form. As for Madgen she needs to demonstrate a more 'team' focus to move in to consideration for the Opals. It can't always be about shot attempts & she also needs exert more energy at the Defensive end as well! Hopefully Tom Maher can bring about an improvement in those aspects of her game at Bullen.

Reply #359597 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Lauren Jackson just then on 5aa
Phillips will not be there . Gone to USA.
Will join up later.
Not sure if we will take 12 or 13 - she mentioned.

Reply #361746 | Report this post

humphrey  
Years ago

audio on 5aa website

Reply #361757 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Many times I've often thought that she should be our flag bearer at London , and to take 13 .

Reply #361788 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I saw at Channel 22 they're going hard at it.
Although the interviewer spoke to Jackson and Cambage more about going to Rio.
One Olympics at a time please.
They outta be spanked for cutting Cayla now.

Reply #363244 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754