Eagles vs Tigers

I think this game has been overlooked this round. I think it will be a very tight contest. There has been a bit of a healthy rivalry brewing between these two teams with there being very few blow outs over the years in any of the contests between the two. This week will be no exception for two reasons

1, The Tigers season is on the line! with a 2-5 record they can really only afford to lose 3 more games at most if the want to make the play-offs. Loosing this one would only give them 2 losses to play with for the rest of the season, which simply is not enough, they need to start beating some top sides and it needs to start right now!

2, The Tigers embarressed the Eagles last year up at Morphett Vale. With the quality line up the eagles had, the tigers out hustled, out played, out worked and out thought the more superior Eagles line up in a game which eventually was the main reason that the Tigers participated in post season action and the Eagles did not. If the Eagles have forgotton this I would be very surprised, and this is great opportunity for them to settle the score.

1 big question about this game will be who the Tigers will start! We all know who the eagles will line up with...Sutton(PG), Sullivan(SG), Newley(SF), Farman and Dix as the bigs, but who will the tigers go with? who will guard Dix? and who will guard the inform Newley?

Tim Hodges has been used as a defensive stopper over the last few rounds so i think there is a chance of him getting either one, who I'm not sure. You would think Gerlach and Sutton would sqaure off, but will Tigers go for three bigs and then start only one of Hardiman or Wood at the 2 spot, or will they go for a quicker line up and start both, which would probably mean Hardiman vs Sullivan, and Newley vs Wood.

If they did go small, who would be the bigs for the Tigers? I would assume Bowley for one, and probably one of the Hodges brothers the other. If its Tim, I would assume Tim to start on Dix, and Bowley on Farman, if its Ben then I would think Bowley would take Dix, and B Hogdes on Farman. Interesting! However in my opinion, the Tigers are lacking leadership and its time for someone to step up and that someone needs to be their new acting captain Luke Hoban. With a quiet season so far, I think his lack of form is a big reason why the Tigers arn't performing as well as last year, and he was the catalyst for the Tigers in these two teams last meeting at Morphett Vale,with 10 rebounds in the first quarter! So if I were Billy, I would take a punt with the big guy and start him and Bowley in order to try and kick start the Tigers by seriously attacking the offensive glass and just set the tone for their team for the rest of the game.

Who they then start in the three spot I don't think really matters, but I would be inclined to go with the three guards Gerlach, Hardiman and Wood to help turn their big fellas rebounding into some quick fast break lay ups to put the eagles under pressure early.

That would mean the Hodges brothers would come off the bench which I don't think is a bad thing. Tim would be on hand to guard either one of Dix or Newley if they get hot, and Ben would still come on for the Tigers to kick start their offence if needed and to scrap like only he knows how. Actually, having Ben coming off the bench would add the extra value to the game of him being out on the court as the same time as MacDonald-Taylor. This would be a great match up as both love to srcap and hustle, especially when playing each other.

The eagles, if to win need to match any intensity that the tigers throw at em, and contain Gerlachs penetration, especially off the pick and roll which they seem to run alot. That and matching the Tigers on the boards are the key to an eagles victory!

So should be a great game, and I hear quite a good crowd. Would be great to get some tigers fans at the game because the boys really need ya support. There is quite a lot at stake for both clubs, Tigers to stay in touch, and the Eagles to continue to cement themselves ae one of the competition leaders and to stay in touch of Sturt.

My prediction....Eagles by 5, only due to home court advantage.

Topic #2815 | Report this topic

D-lin  
Years ago

Ah, I think you have overlooked a slight reason for the Tigers win and the Eagles not doing too well last season.

1. Jason Dix
2. Jason Farnham
3. Brad Newley

Reply #31921 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

LOL, D-Lin you've got to be joking me right?

Despite those names the Eagles still had one of the best on paper teams last year. Pero Vaseljevik and Paul Rees suited remember...

They didn't make the finals despite more ring-ins then Pizza Hut. Perhaps that's where Reesy was on that fateful night at Mvale???

Reply #31927 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

and Brenton Campbell

Reply #31938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clarkey stitched up BC both times - very well indeed, maybe D-Mac, gaze, mee should've played

Reply #31940 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Hmm, Dix and Newley or Pero and Rees. Blue Collar, surely you wouldn't have the second 2 as your first choice??

Reply #31951 | Report this post

Can we focus on this weeks game not last years match. I only mentioned last years match to help 'set the scene' for this eagerly awaited contest.

Reply #31952 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

farman, dix and newley against pero, rees and campbell. closer than many would think, especially with newley's games before last week being as average as they were.

Reply #31953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the tigers women are going to get spanked!

Reply #31958 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

I think wood will start on newley as the 3 players, which will be a great match-up, both are quick athletic players.

I think tigers wont have too much trouble containing the offensive firepower of Forestville, but may struggle themselves to score a big number. It will be a very defensie focused game.

If either teams big guys get into foul trouble, it could determine the game.

Tigers eagles

Hardiman Sutton
Gerlach Sully
Wood Newley
Hodges Farman
Bowley Dix

My predicted match-ups (but hodges to guard dix).

I think tigers are better suited having Hoban and Hodges coming off the bench for some extra hustle.

Look forward to a great game!

Reply #31959 | Report this post

Black Cat  
Years ago

i predict forrestville by 70

Reply #31963 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

The Tigers wil have some very, very vocal support coming from there end!

The Double Blacks will be flowing!

I'll have my cooler bag stocked!

Reply #31985 | Report this post

TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE BROTH !!

This is undoubtably the game of the round in the mens competition. Recent outings between these two clubs and been fiercly contested, with the Tigers owning the last three results.

Many punters may look at all the names f/ville can throw on the court at the same time, but at the end of the day, there is only one ball out there. If Newley wants to jack up 30 shots, good on him, thats 10-15 less than their seasoned blokes get.
Will Dix and co. be happy cleaning up the misses?

As for the Tigers... i wonder which team will rock up?

Well known for getting up for the "BIG" games, the young tigers outfit can match it with the best when firing on all cylinders, but consistency has eluded them and
there hasnt been too much TEAM cohesion lately with everyone looking to get "theirs". If they all come to play its going to be a great game and the winner will be bball.

If the Tigers win the Boards you can presume they will win the game, cos that means Dix and Farman aren't getting second chance points.

The winner of the Hardiman/Snake v Sutton/Sullivan contest wont decide the game but will be a spectacle worth the admission alone.

Then we have the two young bucks - Wood and Newley... Im sure all on the forum would pick Newley in a heartbeat, and rightly so, but Wood has been a major threat for the Tigers, snuffing the Flames convincingly and destroying Nash until foul trouble forced him out of the game. The one with the least turnovers and most boards could be the deciding factor in a very even battle.

Get down to Wayville and check it out.

Reply #31989 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

D-lin, my choice would depend on the rest of the team. Hard to deny Dix and Newley though. Add BC to the mix and you dont have vastly different pools of talent. That was the point i was trying to raise.

Just a few notes about the game from me...

Tigers will need to play their best D of the year if they expect to win.

Tigers will need to move the ball quickly in O. Too often this season the ball stagnates in the hands of a couple of players.

Eagles need to get early involvement from Dix. This will free up Newley, Farman, Sutton and Sulli to do more damage.

Sulli can win this one on his own. If he gets hot, he will be shooting tranquilizer darts at the tigers from beyond the arc.

Predictions.

Dix to go 6/11 from the field while Newley goes 9/27.

Gerlach to Triple double for the Tigers and Wood to dunk through traffic.

Should be a game worth seeing so join me at Wayville fellow bball fans!

Reply #31999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754