Anonymous
Years ago

36ers in the ABL?

I was wondering when these players are expected to suit up in the ABL. 4 rounds and yet no DJ for West. What about Mitch Creek and others

Topic #28171 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

others such as who
none are in this state

Reply #359809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng!!

Reply #359829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ is on holidays mate and mitch creek looks like he will play for woodville.

Reply #359830 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Creek is playing under Al Green this year!
Which is a good move for his continued development

Reply #359845 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Darren Ng has been lining up for Sturt but his minutes have been restricted because of instructions from the 36ers due to the fact that his contract does not run out until June. The question therefore rises:
1. If the 36ers are restricting his minutes then does that mean that he is a required player for next season?
2. If the 36ers are restricting his minutes and HE IS NOT required for next season then WTF is the problem with the 36ers.
(It appears that the coaching staff do not have a problem with Darren playing but the edict appears to have come from the GM and the Team Trainer/Physio)
I'm sure that Leanne has some plausible reason but it is lost on a lot of people.
If other players are playing ABL/SEABL then does that mean that they are only permitted to play restricted minutes?
Seems very strange IMO.

Reply #359849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ That is absolute BULLS#@! if that is true Anon12! Do the Sixer's think they "own" the players out of season? Hasn't NG always played off season? WHAT A JOKE!

Reply #359851 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

I believe Darren is carrying an injury right now

Reply #359853 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

36er players are all employees up until the end of the financial year. If they wanted to, the 36ers could stop players playing anywhere by not clearing them.
Who has ore to lose in this situation? Certainly not Sturt.

Reply #359854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering the decrease in crowd numbers and the lack of support from district clubs, I would think that they would be bending over backwards to have their players not only playing in CABL, but getting into their clubs and having them try to recruit new members.

But instead they continue down the path of creating resistance to their market base and further allienate a part of the basketball public.

Reply #359858 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Exactly BJF. Whilst a player is under contract the club has every right to not allow them to play ABL, it would be in their contract.

Reply #359860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But that is the contract for the season just finished, different if it is for the next season. If they dont want them next season it shows their total disregard for the clubs and therefore basketball community in Adelaide.

Reply #359871 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

no it means they are still employed to do a job. If the 36ers sent them to Ayers Rock to do a promotion, they would have to go. Just because the season is finished doesnt mean their obligations as an employee have.

Reply #359874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But that is only because the 36ers decided to do it that way. They could have chosen to finish their contracts at the end of season/April?etc but didnt. I'm not saying they can't, just that it shows how far removed they consider themselves to be from the very basketball public they complain about not turning up to their games. When you let the clubs know that you are not willing to even let those players they have helped produce for you in the first place play for them, why would the clubs do anything for you like give out or assist in memberships?

Reply #359878 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

who exactly are they stopping from playing?

Reply #359880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day I believe what 36ers do is in the best interest of the 36ers which should mean we as supporters should be happy. If they determine it is better or not better for some/all players to play in the ABL in the off-season we should respect that decision as surely they are amking it based on what is best for 36ers in 2012/13.

I am hoping they are taking these decisions in the best interest of the 36er players and it make be different for each player.

Reply #359881 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

Leanne had a hissy fit 4 weeks ago at the whole team straight after training, and is stopping them from playing ABL.

In previous seasons its never been a problem for players to play in the ABL so there is no reason for it to suddenly be a problem now. 36ers are absolutely losing the respect of their players.

Reply #359891 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

Sturt had to limit Ng to 20 minutes in the forrestville match - He didn't play in the first quarter.

Reply #359892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren seems prone to injuries lately and perhaps he just should have a break and get his legs right.

Just because it was allowed in previous seasons doesn't mean it was right. It is not as if after letting them play in ABL the team came back and dominated in the NBL - perhaps a change in preparation for a new season is worth looking at.

Reply #359906 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Anon 359851 - unfortunately this is not bull***t as you suggested. And it appears that the 36ers DO own a player until their contract runs out.
Pete - as I noted this was a decision made by Leeanne, apparently in consultation with the trainer, and was/is not supported by the coaching staff. It is very sad if the GM of a sports franchise indeed makes decision after having a "hissy fit".
As I previously questioned - are all players under ABL/SEABL restrictions? If Darren (for instance) is not offered a new contract then he will be able to play as many minutes for Sturt as they require once his contract finishes in June. Will ongoing contracted players therefore be restricted in the minutes they can play in the ABL/SEABL or will common sense prevail and Leeanne come to her senses and see what damage she is doing to the 36ers brand and credibility. 36ers fans have plenty of complaints about the team and management/coaching and this appears to add more fuel to the fire of discontent.

Reply #359911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And why isnt Jacob playing for Sturt this season?
Answer
Because his NBL Club demands all their players stay with the club for the whole season / contract period.
I cant remeber the 6ers ever stopping Jacob

This is not just a 6er policy

Sturt people get over it.

Oh and why didn't Darren play the last game
Answer
Because he injured himself with Sturt

Bet the 6ers are happy about that

Reply #359933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ABL comp is just one big drain on club resources and gives very little money back to clubs.

Personally feel it should go back to wednesday nights at the dome and we can save a whole lot of time and bother.

36ers in their rights to say no.

Reply #359942 | Report this post

Kool Moe Dee  
Years ago

Perhaps Leeanne should look into what the rest of the worlds sporting clubs/teams are doing this year....allowing their players to play in the Olympics.
Yes ABL is not the Olympics but that's not the story...its ALLOWING players to play!!

It's very rich coming from a sports administrator who has governed sporting bodies and from that position allowed players to play in other competitions throughout her working life.

Reply #359964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can we all please take the emotion out of this topic!

Now, as a business owner would you be happy exposing your investment to potential negative return? pretty simple from that side the answer is no! (unless you are are business that wants to go broke).

Regardless of wether Leanne is right or wrong, the 36ers have invested in these players and they are contracted until whenever. that is the facts.

So what needs to be done is a more transparent and concise agreement between the players and local clubs.
All this other toss is a waist of everyones time and effort.
move on you dumb nuts it's basic economics.

Reply #360036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe it is a requirement from the NBL that all local(Australian)players are contracted until the end of June, that includes all medical insurance etc. If a player is injured while playing for another team the Sixers are still responsible and as we all know the cost of medical treatment is not always fully covered. The Sixers would be required to pay all outstanding medical costs, so I can understand them not wanting to have players risk themselves while playing elsewhere.

Reply #360238 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:03 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754