Mr Black
Years ago

Need you help with some 90's NBL questions please

Hey guys,

Need your various expertise to answer a few random NBL questions please:

Can anyone let me know who wore jersey number 8 for the NE Melb Giants in the era where they were sponsored by boozeless?

Also, did a player named Scalzi (Matt maybe?) wear 51 and play for the Giants in the same era?

Also, who wore 34 for the Tigers during the Kmart Tigers era?

Lastly, an odd questions, does anyone know if Dave Simmons wore a XXL jersey during his playing career with the Tigers?

Thanks in advance all

MrB

Report this topic

Topic #28187 | Report this topic

?  
Years ago

Wayne Carol I think was No8 for North Melbourne giants

Matt Scalzi was a Sixer prior to Jason Williams and Dean Brogan

Reply #360073 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Did Matt Scalzi ever play for the North Melbourne Giants? As i have aquired a NM Giants game jersey with his name and number 51 on it.

Reply #360075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Scalzi did indeed play for the Giants.

Reply #360076 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Would you know what year that was?

Reply #360077 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Also ,can anyone confirm if Wayne Carol did indeed wear number 8 for the Giants, im thinking it might be around 95-97 era perhaps

Reply #360078 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

In 2005 in the game of 'Giants of 1996 v the Giants 1989' Wayne Carroll wore No. 6.

That's all I've got...

Will post more if I find more.

Reply #360096 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Found more. Looks like he was always No. 6.

Reply #360098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarvis Lang was an import - i think he wore 34...

Reply #360099 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Carroll was 6.

Reply #360218 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Ebi Ere wore 34 for Melbourne when he first joined them. Not sure if this is the top you have or not.

On searching and investigating, cannot find any other 34. I really thought this would be much easier in the technological age.

Reply #360230 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

This wont answer your questions, but may help you:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=0-189-88246-0-0

click on "ladder" for any year, then "player stats" or "players" .. this will give you the full player list for each year the Giants were in the league, and may help you to research the fellas individually, and maybe rule out some names ...

Reply #360231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

matthew reese number 34 for the tigers in the 90s

Reply #360240 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW, the NBL player directory has Reece playing for the Tigers in 1995. It shows Matt Scalzi playing for Adelaide in 1994 & 1995, then for Geelong in 1996 and Canberra in 1997. No mention of the Giants.

Reply #360243 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Here's a link that contains the following quote:

"There's no way they could ever get on," says former Giant Wayne Carroll, whose number six is honored on a giant singlet hanging in the Glasshouse. ``The rivalry is so entrenched."

http://www.basketballsinglets.com.au/basketball-singlets-articles/1994/10/8/the-best-of-enemies/

Reply #360277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a 1991 NBL media guide I looked up. Peter Gay wore number 8 that year. No 34 for the Tigers or 51 for the Giants listed.

Reply #360362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scalzi played for Sixers 94-95, Supercats 1996, Cannons 1997.

Reply #360378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754