Emu
Years ago

Would Opals beat a mens SEABL team?

Serious question, would a full strength opals with Cambage, Jackson etc beat a lower rung mens seable team?

The women would have more reliable jumpers and solid girls in the post.

Mens athleticsm the issue, who would win?

Topic #28194 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

I don't think so, a Central ABA team would win pretty easily over the women's national team. I'd imagine a SEABL team would be far too strong

Reply #360253 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

WHAT???????????

Reply #360254 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

In under 14s we beat the lightning, how the hell would opals beat any mens team!

Reply #360255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opals lost to the Northern Territory mens team by a point a few years ago.

Reply #360257 | Report this post

vesta  
Years ago

Back in Jan Stirling's day, the Opals used to have trial games with local Under 18 Division 1 boys sides. That's about the standard of the Opals.

Reply #360261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opals would smash a lower rung SEABL team.

They'd probably beat the 36ers.

Reply #360263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Central ABA beat the Opals? They wouldn't beat a lower ranked SEABL team.
That's why they aren't even in the SEABL any more.

Reply #360270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL team by 50 points.

Reply #360273 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Played v North WNBL in the year they won the title many many moons ago.

We were a very lowly ranked U 16 Div 1 team.

As I recall we won in a tight contest.

Opals would maybe be competitive against an U 18 Div 1 team I would guess.

On a side note I recall watching a Men's state Netball team absolutely flog the reinging women's World Champs.

Not a skill issue just pure athleticism.

On another side note I recall stories of Venus Williams playing a 300's ranked tennis man and getting well and truly hammered in a high stakes cash game at the Aussie open.

Reply #360292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diamonds beat the Aussie men's netball team a few years back.

Reply #360296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only fair contest would be something like Ten Pin Bowling...

No athleticism required, just skill; Other sports may include:

Darts
Lawn Bowls
Billiards
Snooker
Bocce
Archery
Skeet Shooting
Motor Speedway
Racing on horses or in cars, boats or motor cycles...

Reply #360317 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Beat the Lightning in Under 16s, and the Opals in Under 18s, easily.

Reply #360319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many years ago a depleted state U20 mens squad with beat opals group by over 100 points.

Reply #360358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Men play a completely diffrent game to women.....we bash and smash the hell outta each other, yes women do to but the women wouldnt b ablt to cope with the physical side of things, or the jumping etc....they would get smashed on boards and would end up the walking away pretty beat up.
men by a minimum of 10pts..........minimum!

Reply #360384 | Report this post

;)  
Years ago

The only olympic sport where women and men compete against each other is equestrian, at least a female horse can beat a male horse! basketball, no way mens and womens are completely different games anyways

Reply #360444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw the Canberra Gunners play the Opals a few times. The Gunners had them by 25 at the quarter, they stopped keeping score after that

Reply #360537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the point of this is?

Reply #360549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Under 18's my state team belted the Opals before the Sydney Olympics. I think the girls were fundamentally better but the boys are just too strong and quick!

Reply #360752 | Report this post

Apples and oranges. Men play above the ring and women play below the ring. There is no comparison. Women have more subtlety as they have to go around opposition whilst men can just go over the top. I am not sure why you would even attempt to compare the two. I often tell the junior boys I coach to watch the WNBL to learn to play smart and use skill as opposed to athleticism and brute strength. However, brute strength and athleticism verse skill and subtlety, on a basketball court strength and athleticism every time (and by a lot!!!)

Reply #360795 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754