BBTrajik
Years ago

Eastern Mavs roll on!

As a long time Basketball observer, tho never a player, I have been astounded to see the new coaching Philosophy at the Mavs.

The Mavs dynamic (sic) coaching duo (of the Lightening worse result ever fame) have implemented a 'social basketball' philosophy in that all 12 players get to play, and usually before ½ time. Just as a player finds his touch and makes a few baskets he is subbed (however does not seem to apply to the player who gave the club the royal finger and ‘walked out’ last season, but has the right surname). Make a few/many turnovers, take no defensive responsibility, shoot air balls, have no idea of the offense...doesn’t matter you will get your minutes.

Opposing coaches get a rest day as the Mavs implement their ‘social basketball’ philosophy. Hard to watch as a times they have 5 bigs out there, no capable ball handler and they make turn over after turn over.

At the ABL, NBL, College and NBA level coaches rarely go past 8 in their roster. Something I have never seen before, other than in U/10 or U12, is a 5 on 5 off NFL style platoon substitution. Maybe this is designed to confuse the opposition but usually it seems to leave the Mavs squad completely flummoxed.

The look on the Managers face is priceless when the assistant/head coach gets up to make a sub…there is a real chance he may be part of the platoon, he should shirt up.

Meanwhile it is amusing watching the (complete lack off) vibrancy, enthusiasm, dynamism of the dynamic duo translating to the teams persona. It has been noted that the coaches take their coffees to the bench, to stay awake I guess.

I understand that this ‘malaise’ has also been implemented at U/23 level where the goal appears to be not to win but give everybody an equitable run.

It used to be that in all elite sport competition and survival of the fittest was the ‘way,’ the Mavs seem to be bucking that trend and going for the participation award……….MEDIOCRITY IS GOOD, perhaps that reflects the whole club.

Roll on the Mavs and their long suffering fans.

Topic #28205 | Report this topic

MS  
Years ago

is that an axe I hear grinding?

Reply #360492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another way of looking at it is how fortunate that Mavs have a very deep bench unlike other clubs which may lose a little if they had to go that deep into their bench. I say count your lucky stars!!!

Reply #360497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The obvious problem to me up there is firstly no connection between the junior program and senior. All the rejects from other clubs can arrive on the door and get a game. All the good juniors who have been loyal to the club since U12 get shafted, and the committee and club people turn a blind eye to it.

I had the misfortune of watching recently and it was a game of appauling standard. Some of the starters in the mens team should not be in the ABL. Some good kids sitting on the bench wasting away. But dont worry they will quit soon, and we will find some more family members to fill spots.

WAKE UP MAVS YOUR JUNIOR BOYS PROGRAM IS IN ABSOLUTE CRISIS. GET OFF YOUR ARSE AND FIND SOME COACHES THAT ARE CREDIABLE. YOU HAVE NO UNDER 18 BOYS AND YOUR 16 BOYS ARE BEING DESTROYED.

Reply #360498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and which club are you from anon above? because you seem a bit precious and bitter, maybe a cut player/ not wanted coach? Sturt throwback??

Reply #360512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BBTrajik long time "observer" and one times hoops poster go flap your gums elsewhere.

Reply #360538 | Report this post

vesta  
Years ago

BBTrajik, it seems you may have hit a raw nerve with the above poster!

Reply #360548 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hmmm, I see what you mean afer the Mavs U23 game last night.
No coaching leadership and a very large group of very individual players (? too many on the bench). No execution of plays just players trying to make themselves look good. Very limited defensive effort except by the bigs and no defensive help.
This style of play with this group of players has been familiar since some of them played 16's together.
There is plenty of talent but the old adage of a group of inidividual champions will always get beaten by a champion TEAM seems to be appropriate here.
This can been seen time and again when Mav's have teams of boys with multiple State Country representatives that dont play the team game. They are a bit special as players and forget the teamwork. Surely that means the coaches have to get a bit tough and demand more respect. No player likes to be benched if they are not doing the right thing.

Reply #360736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt blame the coaches for Easterns form. Have a look at the list.

I cant work out whether this is a parent, young kid or a starter. Too emotional to be any further removed than that.

Reply #360913 | Report this post

anon2  
Years ago

Can't comment on the game wasn’t there but I do know most of the group you’re talking about. 100% agree they are talented juniors but you hit the nail on the head with your adage "individual talent". 8-9 players would be about average for most teams in winter don’t know where your issue is there. The coach has been around a while and great with juniors but may be out of his depth. Have also heard they don’t train either ?

Reply #360938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 or 9 players above average?

I would say 2 or 3 players might be above average. But there would only be one that would make the starting five of a top five team.

Reply #360985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the comment stating that they are lucky to have such a "deep bench"....Really??? thats why they are sitting last, because they are able to throw wave after wave of great players at you.

Reply #361441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754