russell coight
Years ago

state champs v first round club netball

anyone else's teams in disarray saturday because of this.

netball clubs / coaches not compromising in any form to players basketball needs

Topic #28222 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep country players affected. Country netball/football suffering big time this weekend,
Same goes with the pathetic decision not to play all div 1 teams together now on Fridays.

Was at Marion recently and because south don't have a lot of junior teams last game was U14's all closed and finished by 8.00pm. Not good commercially for any club other than the big 2.

Reply #360744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry also was going to say that I have never met a more precious type of coaches and committees who think the world is all about them and their desire to re live their own dreams than netball coaches and committees- the politics in the sport is mind blowing

Reply #360746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My girls have chosen Basketball over Netball.

Reply #360754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what teams are being affected this weekend? I assuming it mostly the Eastern teams?

Reply #360755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should pick a long weekend to play this tournament, have the summer season finish before christmas, then play state champs on adelaide cup weekend and start the winter season afterwards.

Reply #360771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #360754

may I ask the reason your girls have chosen basketball over netball? We to soon have to make a decision and I am interested in your thoughts.
thanks

Reply #360773 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

basketball would be one of the few sports I know that runs the "state champs" in the middle of the week/weekend. I can only see the purpose of this state champs to enable clubs bragging rights about club championships and a spot to Classics. Why can't the results from a combined winter/summer season reflect the champion club and why not make the summer season more meanful by having the top four finishers go to Classics??
My daughter chose netball over basketball as it was so much better run. At the begining of the season you know when all games and carnivals are scheduled as well as playing times. Any carnivals are weekend or long weekends so no mid week interruptions. She has played both country netball and now is playing in State League in the metro competition and again all games are scheduled at the start of the season. None of the play 5 games and then wait and see!
Dont start me on the difference between Nationals for netball and basketball, that is a whole other level of netball vs basketball!! (Which,I might add,that netball shared much more nicely and graciously with commitments than basketball did)

Reply #360791 | Report this post

Former Parent  
Years ago

My daughter Caitlin used to play basketball, but prefers netball. Much more girl friendly and much better organised as well as none of these ridiculous 945 games the other side of Adelaide.

My son Brad is going to just play footy after this season as well. He is sick and tired of the favouritism at his club.

Reply #360803 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

it is not just Club Netball that is impacting on the State Champs..it is also School netball that starts this week...which in our case we are at a school that sport is compulsory. The Open As and Bs are schedualed early to enable the Club netballers to meet their committment and enable them to compete later in the day.

And if you think Netball is a hard one for the Basketball Coaches to get their head around...what about the kids who row in summer and the boys who try and balance their footy committments with basketballin winter.
And like my youngster, try balancing that with yr11/12 demands.

And the reason players, (and some very exceptional ones) leave the sport is because their Basketball Coaches are rigid... it's basketball or nothing. Rest my case.

P.S some schools have their formals this weekend just to make life even more interesting.

Reply #360815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My Girls have chosen Basketball over Netball because their both fighting for a Top 4 spots. Netball this week is a normal round game...
In our case Basketball seems to value my kids more than Netball does, regardless of how they play or support their Netball, often doesn't matter. I find personally this sport more run by over ruling parents/families/Hierarchy that have their kids slotted into the positions that their child are demanding/wanting regardless of skill, height, mistakes made or other kids more suitable for the same positions in many cases...
However with Basketball you will be quick smart sub-ed off, if you aren't cutting the grade and lifting to the skill level needed for the game, or what is being ask of you regardless of who you are...each to their own thinking on one verses the other sport.
Only thing I DON'T like with Basketball at the moment is the way div 1s have been separated now as 744 mentioned, but that isn't the clubs faults, its the scheduling people that I don't think have any, or multiple Children of their own, or they may not have made these decisions as lightly, and dropped it on us without club consultation...

Reply #360831 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Comments such as this really make me laugh: "My daughter chose netball over basketball as it was so much better run."

Yeah sure. Teenage girls are sooooo obsessed with administration issues these days.

Reply #360891 | Report this post

norm  
Years ago

The petty politics of netball is simply the only way the sport is run ANYWHERE. A state tournament in Tas a couple of years ago was wrecked by girls being MADE to ATTEND netball on a freezing, raining winters day.

They stood around as the rain poured and they tried to play in the breaks. After one of them rolled her ankle badly they called the games off mid-afternoon.

Reply #360909 | Report this post

russell coight  
Years ago

because of this clash - it will affect 2 of our games saturday - and probably the whole weekend.

not really displaying the true strength of our team in crucial matches.

it is weird because "we have to go to netball" but they spend more time every week dedicated to basketball....
work that one out ?

Reply #360915 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Basketball = Basketcase

State Champs is a money making excercise for BSA

Everyone says "Summer is a nothing season" yet it is the season that grades you for State Champs

State Championship club is the club that puts in for Summer, Winter,all grades, both girls and boys

What happens with U23 now? They are not a comp, but a money raiser for an out of touch Association.They are the new ABA

Lets hope some of the Commissioners of the BSA board are at games over the weekend and see what a joke the whole weekend is.

next week, they can see how 12 team comps will only get an 18 week season, so in the only sport that works on splits for finals berths,makes it unbalanced again in SA

Reply #361019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree state champs has no meaning today. As for netball and basketball if the girls comp is any guide netball has won hands down because so many basketball clubs haven't got teams in a lot of age groups.

Reply #361022 | Report this post

russell coight  
Years ago

annon obviously basketball is half empty for you.

it is what we make it

Reply #361059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may be embarassing for our club if we have to forfeit a girl's game or two due to lack of players being available especially when we are hampered by not having yet qualified some new girls to the club (3 games rule) Not just an embarassment for the club but for BSA and for Girl's Basketball generally

Reply #361086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New girls = country girls....

Reply #361099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Girls = local domestic girls not country girls

Reply #361108 | Report this post

lo68  
Years ago

#099 so what if they were country girls? Do you have a problem with country girls playing district ball?

Reply #361117 | Report this post

Pat Cash  
Years ago

Girls sport

Who cares BORING

For those others complaining that it should be on a long weekend, a normal weekend is no big deal, so you might have to play a game on a thurs night and from memory once upon a time {sounds like a fairy tale} LOL
it use to be held on a long weekend Adelaide Cup but you can thank the SAJC for changing that date as they got sick of all the rained out cups

Reply #361121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find your posts boring Pat.Please stop boring us with your dribble.

Reply #361122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lo68

Just seems strange that girls new to basketball are not allowed to play even if a club may have to forfeit due to either injury or netball commitments of existing players when we are working hard to improve participation and retenton of girls.

Reply #361126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Russell coight grow some balls!!! U don't HAVE to do anything! It's kids sport...they decide what they want to play! Coaches are not dictators that decide what u do on a weekend! Man up

Reply #361367 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754