Bear
Years ago

Australian under 16 Basketball Championships Teams

Here is a post of the boys teams from Victoria Metro and Victoria Country going to Tamworth in July 2012, which states are going to give them trouble?

Anyone interested in comparing teams from the other states, NZ maybe?

PLAYERS VIC METRO

Abi Akintola Diamond Valley
Blake Allison Melbourne
Harley Balic Sandringham
Jacob Elordi Melbourne
Anthony Karabatsos Diamond Valley
Sebastiano Lamonato Nunawading
Matt Owies Melbourne
Jock Perry Melbourne
Dejan Vasiljevic Melbourne
Thomas Wilson Melbourne

PLAYERS VIC COUNTRY

Lewis Beks Bendigo
Jeremy Bolden Warrnambool
Tom Doodee Geelong
Trent McMullan Wodonga
Timothy Leigh-Molloy Warragul
Jacob Pupavac Geelong
Jarrod Russell Maffra
Bellamey Sims Shepparton
Darcy Tucker Horsham
Jack White Traralgon

Topic #28228 | Report this topic

SAC  
Years ago

SAC boys team:

Name Assocation
Luke Hoare SYP
Billy Bald Eastern Hills
Stephen Sochacki Mount Gambier
Sam Stafford Mount Gambier
William Braidwood Murray Bridge
Brad Wright Murray Bridge
Charlie O'Brien Willunga
Samuel Simmons Broken Hill
Brad Rathjen Mount Gambier
Adam Ryan Roxby Downs

Reserves
Mitchell Kelton Great Southern
Tyler Athanasos Port Pirie
Hamish Price Yorke Valley
Zak Willis Port Augusta
Michael Wegner Murray Bridge
Brent Hank Port Lincoln

Not sure if there are any surprises there? Is anyone able to list those SAC guys with the club they play for (if any) in Adelaide? Might be easier to place them then.

Haven't seen anything with SAM teams yet.

Reply #360825 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Are there any 'sons of guns' in these groups, continuing the trend of recent junior champs - Exum, Simmons, Dufelmeier, Purchase, Pineau etc.

Reply #360836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro to be announced after State Champs

Reply #360840 | Report this post

SAC  
Years ago

Making assumptions but last year Marty Clarke's kid Austin made the SA Metro team as a first year, so it wouldn't be unlikely to see him again.

Reply #360841 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Vart, I assume Dejan Vasiljevic is the son of Pero, who played for the Tigers in the late 80s / early 90s

Reply #360851 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Pero? Late 80's? Pretty sure he was around in the early 2000's and there's no way he has a kid in the under 16s

Reply #360860 | Report this post

SAC  
Years ago

And he's player/coaching North in ABL as we speak. Adds up to being unlikely I'd say.

Reply #360864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SA Country boys play for the following district clubs from what i gather...

Name Assocation
Luke Hoare SYP (North Adelaide)
Billy Bald Eastern Hills (Eastern Mavericks)
Stephen Sochacki Mount Gambier (None)
Sam Stafford Mount Gambier (Unsure - Maybe eastern)
William Braidwood Murray Bridge (Sturt)
Brad Wright Murray Bridge (Eastern Mavericks)
Charlie O'Brien Willunga (Southern)
Samuel Simmons Broken Hill (Centrals)
Brad Rathjen Mount Gambier (Southern)
Adam Ryan Roxby Downs (Centrals)

Reserves
Mitchell Kelton Great Southern (Eastern Mavericks)
Tyler Athanasos Port Pirie (Centrals)
Hamish Price Yorke Valley (Forestville)
Zak Willis Port Augusta (None)
Michael Wegner Murray Bridge (Eastern Mavericks)
Brent Hank Port Lincoln (Centrals)

Reply #360869 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

New Zealand u16

Geronimo Tubruq Doyle (Waitakere)
Isaac Toa Davidson (Waitakere)
Jackson Stent (Canterbury)
Kane Keil (Auckland)
Liam Stanley-Tasi (Counties-Manukau)
Logan Hunt (Waitakere)
Matthew Freeman (North Harbour Basketball)
Nikau McCullough(Waikato)
Reuben Porter (Waitakere)
Richard Thomas Rodger (Basketball Otago)

Reply #360875 | Report this post

SAC  
Years ago

Does anyone know who is still in the running for the SAM boys? Or at least can tell me which clubs have how many kids left.

Wouldn't mind checking out some games over the weekend.

Reply #360929 | Report this post

SAC  
Years ago

Well, it's after state champs - have SAM announced their team yet?

Reply #361388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC, they find out on Saturday at training.

Reply #361404 | Report this post

whatsup  
Years ago

Just wondering, why is there so many melbourne tigers
in the state team. You can't tell me that other
clubs don't have strong players who should be in there. Maybe they should call it Melbourne tigers
instead. Isn't there some sort of ruling in how many
from one club are in the state team.

Reply #362064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong had 7 players in the womens team 1 year and still didnt win the Vic champs...Oh i forgot ..the state coach was from Dandenong too...

Reply #362070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatsup - that Melb team 2 years ago won nationals pretty convincingly. And At Classics their 2nd team came 2nd. So I'd say it's just a fairly dominant group.

Reply #362094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls Metro U16
Tayla Calvert (North)
Jade Johnson (Forestville)
Rachel Weidemann (West)
Annie Falkenberg (Woodville)
Morgan Yaeger (Forestville)
Courtney Hansen (North)
Taylor Ortlepp (Norwood)
Ellen Watson (Forestville)
Anne Hatchard (North)
Keeley Pearce (West)

Reply #362120 | Report this post

westbearcub  
Years ago

GO GO GADGET ARMS!!

Reply #362128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAM 16 Boys

Angley (Sturt)
Clarke (Forestville)
M. Daniel (North)
N. Daniel (North)
Fassos (Sturt)
Ficken (Southern)
Noble (Forestville)
O'Gorman (Forestville)
Simmons (Sturt)
Surman (Norwood)

Reply #362157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a great team

2 point guards

3 shooting guards

3 Wing / Forwards

2 Bigs

Maybe wrong, but a good shot at a medal I think. Well balanced and great coach

Reply #362164 | Report this post

hoff46  
Years ago

it would be interesting to compare this team to the sasi sydney team.Just to see the two different perspectives of the coaches.

Reply #362167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Let's keep the comments positive. If you have a problem with how the selection was made, I'd suggest contacting those in charge yourself. You won't achieve anything posting your grievances here.)

Reply #362171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately for the VC competition and the VJBL as a whole, the dominace of the Melbourne Tigers in this age group has all but destroyed the integrity and competitiveness of years past.

This happened several years ago when a super team was created by allowing the best players from other associations to go to the one club, since then the VJBL has in place a rule to limit the amount of players leaving one club to go to another, however the damage has been done.

Yes, the Tigers are strong and represent the bulk of the state team, however they boys come from other grass roots associations and some would say it is a bit of a foreign legion team.

Can't stop players and parents wanting to go to a club they see can be successful though, can we?

Reply #362312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Melb Tigers team won nationals two years ago with a different team to the 16 boys now. People seem to forget they also won the Classics in under 12s and were runners up in the VJBL Grand Final the same year. . Therefore the team was already strong several of the dominant players from the under 12 team are still in the first team today!!!

Since them a few kids came from other clubs into the first team (2) and other kids have been playing in lower divisions for a few years before finally making the 1 team this year.

This means there has to be some good coaching as well and that the success is not just a product of good kids moving from other clubs.

Lets not forget that one of the Melb players from the one team last year is now with DV who has also recruited best player from Broady a few years back.

Good players go to good clubs for better coaching. Both DV and Melbourne are evidence of this although I agree the current Melb teams dominance is not healthy for Melbourne or any other team in the comp

Reply #362470 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Have a look at the VJBL VC under 16 boys results currently and you will see that it is a two horse race, Diamond Valley and Melbourne Tigers will go through to the final and everyone else is just making up the numbers...

Yes, agree that good players will want good coaching, but this is not the way I remember VC being, nor how it should be, or how I believe the VJBL would want it to be!

Anyway, in the end it is juniors and Bogut never got picked by the Dandenong 16's coach, did he, so he went to Sandringham and of course got recognised later on on his development...

You just never know what is around the corner, do you, I guess??

Reply #363787 | Report this post

hogwash61  
Years ago

Firstly, congratulations to all the players selected to represent their state. It is a wonderful achievement. Commiserations to those that missed out. Like I tell my kids, it's just an opinion, doesn’t mean it is right or wrong. Unfortunately, there will always be the doom and gloom merchants who are unhappy and don’t agree with team selections. Well, that’s life. We all have opinions. It’s just the coaches have their opinions unfairly scrutinised/questioned. Witness the debate going on over Mark Neeld.

Like all blogs there is a lot of opinion and hearsay and posts are only loosely based on facts.

If we want to analyse the facts:

There are only 3 "original" Melbourne players in the Vic Metro team posted above, however one is now at Diamond Valley.

So if we are talking about the first association/club they played for then the representations would be more like:

Melbourne - 3 Players
Sandringham - 2 Players
Diamond Valley - 1 Player
Hawthorn - 1 Player
Melton - 1 Player
Nunawading - 1 Player
Werribee - 1 Player

Only one player moved in the last off season, so the current clubs can take some of the credit for the players they have produced.

Also, there are only 7 players in the current Melbourne U16 team from the team that won the U14 Nationals and VC Championship two years ago. The other 3 have come from the two’s who made the VC finals and came 2nd in VJBL’s National Junior Classic. No doubt in two years time it will be different again.

There are many reasons why players change clubs. It really is not a lot different to adults with their jobs, players in the NRL, the AFL, etc. Players change mainly for career path, satisfaction, enjoyment, better opportunities, better coaching, etc, etc.

Take the case of the tallish player who automatically gets pigeon holed as a 5 at their current club. If they move they may have the opportunity to play as a 4, a 3, a 2 or even a 1. Which in the long run may be a lot better for their development.

Then there is the case of the player that is not getting opportunities at their current club, but if they move they get the opportunities they crave for.

In this respect, basketball, is it's own worst enemy, what with only 5 players on the court. Then the bench is made up of 'reserve’ players, generally one for each position. So court time can in some instances (read most) be limited.

What would you do, be a bench player or move?

There are a myriad of examples of justified moves. A poor coach, a coach who has something personal against a particular player (for whatever reason), a parent as a coach who favours you know who, the player who can’t make a one’s squad at their club but makes a one’s team at a stronger better club (this happens), etc, etc.

Having said all that, it is junior sport. The most important thing is the kids are enjoying it. Sure kids and parents will be disappointed, but it is the parent’s responsibility to be the adult here and encourage their child to persist. There really are more important things in life to be worrying about. I saw a Vic Roads TAC road trauma presentation (www.everybodyhurts.com.au) this week presented by the father and mother of a recent 19yo victim. It was a sobering experience to say the least. It’s just a game, enjoy it for what it is and chill out.

Reply #363848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hogwash61 - Possibly the most sound and reasonable post I've seen on here in a long time. I think we all get too caught up looking to deeply into certain aspects of sport. The last paragraph summed it all up perfectly.

Reply #363853 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Getting back to the original post, does anyone have team lists from other states or know about any sons of guns who might be playing?

Reply #363868 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks Cell, do you know who might be a standout for the NZ team, or how many guards, forwards, shooters or bigs are in the Kiwi team?

Reply #363869 | Report this post

Taswegian Jack  
Years ago

"You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players."

Doesn't anyone follow the Terms of Use?

The Forum Operator states no naming of U18 players and yet it goes on unabated.

What's the deal here?

It's junior basketball, not sheep stations, yet!

Reply #364086 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Tas J, sorry your right, should avoid any talk about under 18 year olds specifically...

Apologies to all, I will retract my previous reply to this post.

Reply #364135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will clarke from SA metro have an impact on Victorian teams? at east coast he did but he will have been scouted now?

Reply #364161 | Report this post

Atlas  
Years ago

How toll he is...? (Vasiljevic D.)

Reply #370303 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

love to see this if they have team photos
websitedesignperth.altervista.org

Reply #525661 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754