Anonymous
Years ago

If you were 36ers GM/Coach,

As Free Agency is approaching, i thought it would be interesting to see what people would do if they were 36ers GM/Coach in regards to next seasons roster.

Try to be realistic with salary and within the points cap, what would your line up look like, including imports, for the sake of the argument lets say D-leaguers and others around various NBL-level Euro leagues are gettable, and college seniors, who would you target.

For the sake of the argument lets say guys like Cedric Jackson, Gary Ervin, Donta Smith, other top level imports who are no longer in the NBL (or likely to demand big bucks elsewhere ie Jackson) are unavailable, but D-leaguers are guettable as they only earn something like 30k (i think).

My team would be

STARTERS

C - Schenscher (SA born and bread, been one of the better players on playoff teams his whole career, including college)

PF - Johnson (people say he is internationally a PF like Nielsen and Andersen, so happy to play him at PF, he is quick enough to play PF also imo, not a great defender but could fill the Ballinger type role as a jump shooting, fairly mobile big)

SF - Weigh (could easily start Creek here, but guessing the coaches will start Weigh, was one of our better rebounders needs to step it up offensively and gain more consistency/confidence in his shot or Creek will overtake him very quickly)

SG - Anthony Goods (IMPORT),gone with a import shooter, as we will need some shooters with our big guys inside, played D-league with a stint in Italy, shot the 3pter at above 40% in the 2011-12. His Career D-league averages are 14.6 pts, 2.2 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 39.8% from 3pt range. 6'3 not huge for a SG but big enough for the NBL IMO, Lisch is around that size from memory. Could have easily gone with a import big, to rebound, but decided we needed the shooter more as Schenscher and Johnson will play the bulk of the big man minutes anyway.
Anyone seen much of him?

PG - Curtis Stinson (IMPORT), was 2011 D-League MVP, his career D-League averages are 14.9pts, 8.1 ast, 5.4 rebounds, judging from a few quick youtube vids and stats, appears to be a fairly athletic, drive and dish PG, offensively similar to a Jackson, couldnt tell anything about him defensively but hopefully can hold his own, good size at 6'3, doesnt seem to take many 3-pt shots given his career average this is a good thing. 29 years old, so may be happy to take a 150k import salary instead of tinkering around the D-League. If nothing else he is bigger than Warren and would definitely average more assists and be a better play maker. Anyone seen him play or know much about him?

BENCH

C - Trueman (offer him a few more mins and $$ if available than he is getting in Perth, seems to be a hard working inside player, who will be a good compliment to Schenscher and Johnson)

PF - Dowdell (Another hardworking player inside, good team man, not likely to demand huge $$ or mins), if we have the $$ or points available chase Larry Davidson instead as our 3rd big, playing most of the back up mins (obviously Truemans role would change if we got him, but went with Dowdell as not expecting to be able to afford much else.

SF - Creek, play atleast 20 mins sliding between SG and SF, push Weigh for starting spot, given the toughest defensive assignment when on the court.

SG - NG, another shooter and good to have another SA local on the team,

PG - Crosswell, good veteran playmaker

Anyway thats how I would recruit and think it would be a fairly strong team, depending on how good the imports turn out.

What do people think? What would your line up look like?

Topic #28240 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Forgetting about the lineup for a moment. The thing that seems to be missing is the passion. I would like to almost see some Collingwood style passion surround the club, minus Eddie McGuire, although you probably need some egotistical rich, fat Bast@rd that divides a room into for and against.

Also some Fos Williams style passion. I want to see the Sixers down to 5 fit players, then someone gets fouled off and a guy comes on with a broken leg and throws down a 3 to get the W.

Reply #361052 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At three quarter time , Neville Thiele : " Fos , I cain't breathe. "
Fos : " Neville , ya gotta breathe. "
Thiele played the last quarter , then was taken to hospital with a collapsed lung.

Reply #361054 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

^ we might get that if we take some home-grown talent and develop them through the club. that just doesnt happen in the nbl anymore these days. how much passion can you have going from club to club.

Reply #361055 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That's what I'm talking about Camel

Reply #361058 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Agree with Jack

Reply #361060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHy would any player be passionate about a clubs whos fans just dumb on them?

Reply #361061 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Anonymous (original poster)- your starting 5 looks decent and the two imports seem gettable, but the concern I'd have is the depth off the bench- there is a total lack- just my opinion. 10 points for researching the imports though.

Reply #361064 | Report this post

How long  
Years ago

You can't play Creek at the 2 spot until he learns how to knock it down consistently!! ATM a defender just needs to step off him so he can't penetrate..

Reply #361066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trueman at centre? A little under-sized I would had thought.

Reply #361073 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

No way you can trot out a starting frontcourt of Schensh, DJ and Weigh. Amazingly you'd get killed on rebounds and murdered defensively. We need a "big" body to pair with DJ and Weigh, not a tall one.

Reply #361077 | Report this post

Anony  
Years ago

Sorry guys but we are heading for a major, major poor season. No money around and a sure fire start to a bad season is when the coaches and the GM dont speak anymore, dont like each other. The Chairman wonders around not knowing what to do, he wants to pick the players, coaches dont want those players, GM wont help in anyway. The whole situation is a nightmare.

Unless this problem is fixed soon, and it wont be, then 2012/13 will be bad again....

Reply #361088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, if we get Schenscher though that would have to be our starting front court, i guess the coaches will have to challenge all 3 of them to improve on defense and rebounds, we could use a zone a fair bit and just their size will trouble opposition defensively and help with rebounding.

Trueman would play most of his mins at PF, as either Johnson or Schenscher would be on at all times and playing the C spot. I see Trueman as a good compliment to DJ and Schensch.

Bench depth isnt great but i've spent up on the starting 5, Schenscher wont come cheap. I think we still have a solid 8 man rotation with Creek backing up the SG/SF, Crosswell backing up PG, Trueman backing up PF/C, i'd also play my starters 30 mins each so i think that should be fine.

I hope the real 36ers coaches/gm relationship isnt as bad as rumoured on here, if so that cant be good. Hopefully they can get it together and give us a decent line up next season.

Heres hoping we can get a team as good as my original team, that to me should be the minimum. The imports should have atleast as good as those stats in their previous stint, if it doesnt translate here so be it, but our pg needs to have averaged atleast 5 or 6 assists previously, (6 or 7 if straight from college) and our shooter needs to have shot 40% + also.

Reply #361096 | Report this post

This is Shit!!  
Years ago

Sorry guys but we are heading for a major, major poor season. No money around and a sure fire start to a bad season is when the coaches and the GM dont speak anymore, dont like each other. The Chairman wonders around not knowing what to do, he wants to pick the players, coaches dont want those players, GM wont help in anyway. The whole situation is a nightmare.

Unless this problem is fixed soon, and it wont be, then 2012/13 will be bad again....

@ANONY 36ers Fans please dont take any notice of this, it is not true and the Chaiman should be congratulated on what he has done and doing to secure the long term future of the 36ers,our club was a mess on and off the court.
@Issac you need to restrict all Propaganda,as you know there is a difference between freedom of speech and trouble making.This sort of thing can hurt the brand, recruitment, future sponsorship etc.
36ers fan will be happy come free agency!!

Reply #361131 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What freedom of speech?

Reply #361132 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

anon you really dont know what you are talking about
The team that is being put together will be a contender
Players are keen to come and play here and deals are being done
Sixers will most likely run 1 import as an insurance policy against injuries.
If an injury happens and import can be brought in to replace that position

Great things are happening. Just because you dont know what they are doesnt mean nothing is happening

Reply #361133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds good kent, if we are planning to run with 1 import i hope we are getting another top notch Aussie, who is available? Anatloy Bose??

Reply #361136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Issac you need to restrict all Propaganda,as you know there is a difference between freedom of speech and trouble making.This sort of thing can hurt the brand, recruitment, future sponsorship etc.
36ers fan will be happy come free agency!!

This very post is blatant propaganda! What restrict anyone that might have a contrarian or even negative opinion on something and basically the only people posting on here will be Isaac & paul.

Most sane people would agree that the 36ers themselves have done far, far more damage to their brand than any fans posting on a forum.

Reply #361144 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Not sure what position or positions the 6ers would be looking at for imports but here are a few I would consider based on previous positions filled and where we lacked last year (PG, SG & F);

PG: (1) Nicholas Covington, (2) Justin Dentmon, (3) Stefhon Hannah (4) Courtney Fortson

SG: (1) D.J. Kennedy, (2) Andre Emmett, (3) Jon Scheyer

F: (1)Macolm Thomas, (2) John Williamson

Reply #361149 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon 361144....I dont think the Sixers themselves have hurt their own brand. Sure, they aren't winning which doesnt translate to ticket sales and sure the coach isn't as media savvy as Phil or as controversial as Cole but I think the club as a whole is making progress, despite their recent record. Sometimes you have to take 2 steps back before you take 1 forward.

I think some negative posters on here (whilst may not cause the detriment to the club at the level "This is Shit!" posted) do contribute to the perception of the club.

For example, people banter on here about the club not spending the cap and the relationship between the coach and GM etc etc...which I believe to all be hog wash but the naive and out of touch fan may believe.

You can post negative and incorrect information if you wish but you really arent helping the club get back on its feet regardless of whether or not the club itself is damaging its own product. Whether it is minimal or major you yourself are contributing!

Reply #361152 | Report this post

Arizona 14  
Years ago

Mika Vukona? Hes off contract with the Breakers

Reply #361156 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Vukona would be awesome. Bit of Fijian flavour.

Reply #361158 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Vukona signed with the Breakers last week.

Reply #361164 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Reply #361167 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Hahhah- as if Mika would leave a back to back champion team and uproot his family out of their homeland to join the adelaide 36ers of all teams. Then of course he has already re-signed!

Reply #361179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Raheim "the dream" brown

Reply #361300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754