Isaac
Years ago

Boti: Hearing Balls to Tigers, 36ers eye Redhage?

Just a tweet rather than a fleshed-out article:

Lightning sign Laura Hodges, Nadeen Payne. Good golly Miss Molly, one key signing 2 go! Hearing Balls 2 Tigers, 6ers eye Redhage. Just sayin
36ers have been keen on Redhage since Radford came here and consider him underpaid in Perth. I assume he's signed or at least has an option though? Could ask to leave, I guess.

Figure the mention of it might spark some discussion: Redhage has seen success at the Cats, but is tough to love by fans of any other team.

Topic #28258 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I can't imagine Perth letting him go, especially to come here!

If Schensh signs, Does Redhage fit with DJ and Weigh already in place?

Reply #361481 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

He's signed for 2012-13... Unless the Wildcats intend on releasing him (Not sure if they are or not)

Reply #361482 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If a player wanted to go, a team would be stupid to hold on to them. Too disruptive. Cats could shuffle around to keep Nevill and give Wagstaff, Tovey and Hire more minutes - would come through it OK.

Like I said, Redhage has been successful in Perth so why would he leave? More money would be it, unless he loves Radford and hates Bevo?

Reply #361483 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just speculating, but maybe he's been told Wagstaff will be getting bigger opportunities at his expense? Seems unlikely, the way Perth play they need multiple guys at most positions.

Still, Redhage going could allow them something like:

Nevill, Wagstaff, Tovey, Lisch, Martin
Knight, Hire, Creek?, Bartlett, Robbins

That would mean running the two big fellas together for 10 mins a game or so.

Reply #361490 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - You see it happen often in the AFL though. Player still contracted requests a trade, club refuses to trade him. 6 months later, the player has re-signed for another few years.

Reply #361493 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

It would be pretty funny to see Redhage as a Sixer. I'd actually prefer him over Ballinger at this point (and that's saying something); though really what we need at this point is a massive improvement defensively.

Reply #361494 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

He is contracted but I guess that doesnt stop him moving to Adelaide (Weigh)

Although he stepped up in the second half of the season to show some glimpses of his previous level I wouldn't be too upset to see him go to make way for Wagstaff. This will have to happen eventually if the Wildcats want to hold onto Jesse for much longer.

Frees up some much needed points and cash too.. allowing us to keep Nevill.

I would be surprised to see it happen though.

Reply #361498 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I've always thought Redhage is a Natural 3 man instead of a 4 man.

You could play a Schensher/DJ/Redhage front court. That's a pretty heavy front court both on offense and funding. Defense does improve quite a bit.

Redhage would bring that Cattalini vibe to the team with his persona; however atm I'd call it a Blakemore vibe with the cheap shots and elbows.

On the negative side, I'm not sure how Weigh would go with Redhage here; especially if the idea was to build him up as "the man". That won't happen. He would end up the 5th option on scoring. While I don't have an issue with that myself, he's getting paid to do more than be some backup guy.

Reply #361499 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Redhage would give Adelaide the mobile, perimeter PF it's been lacking since its championship years under Smyth. Im with Alex though, would be a little surprised if it happened.

Reply #361501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wouldn't bet on it at this point, just know that they have had some interest in the past.

I've been reminded that the Radford-Redhage connection is from his first days playing in Tasmania.

If Schenscher signs, I don't know how it would work though given that Weigh is playing the same spots. Would be better off paying up and badgering the crap out of Lisch.

Reply #361505 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you had Schenscher, Johnson and Redhage you have 25-30mins for each in the 4-5 spots. It could work. Still, Ill believe this one when I see it.

Reply #361507 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

5) Schenscher
4) DJ
3) Redhage
2) Weigh
1) Import

5) ?
4) ?
3) Creek /
2) Creek / Ng
1) Crosswell

Weigh at the 2 is a could be. Doesn't need to be a scorer with that front court just a distributor

Back up bigs are thin on the ground so would go for a cheap import ala Catron to fill that hole.

Reply #361512 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I would only go for 1 of Schenscher or Redhage.

Reply #361514 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Every team's press would be licking their lips at that lineup!!

Reply #361515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could work with Redhage, DJ, Schenscher all playing 25 - 30 mins in the PF/C rotation, obviously one will have to come off the bench, Redhage may think he will get more mins like this than as the 4th man in the Nevill, Knight, Wagstaff PF/C rotation in Perth Plus the Radford connection.

I would also chase Cadee and a import combo guard, Kevin Lisch mould would be ideal, if we need a cheap option maybe look at Ubaka, or even bring DeVries back in for 3pt shooting, Andrew Warren also another one worth looking at for 3pt shooting and potentially cheap. But a combo guard who can shoot the 3, handle the ball, play defense ala Lisch is the ideal.

Would give us a line up of

Schenscher/??cheap aussie big
Johnson/Redhage
Weigh/Creek
IMPORT (combo guard)/Ng
Cadee/Crosswell

Reply #361522 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That looks decent. If they cant get Redhage then sign a mobile import 3-4 to take the same spot.

Re combo guard: Devries has probably just played himself into some big money in the Spanish league, so is unlikely to be an option, let alone a cheap one.

Reply #361525 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Weigh is more a SF/PF than a SF/SG. Not athletic enough to play SG.

Reply #361526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea exactly my thinking Paul if Redhage doesnt come grab a import maybe John Williamson again if recovered and available.

If we dont get Cadee, id go for Lindsay Tait imo he is the next best guard on the free agent list, (id take him over Kendall and assuming Bruce is staying in Sydney) as a combo guard probably can get him a bit cheaper also, and maybe try and spend more on the import and get a more pure PG.

Either way things are looking fairly good for the 36ers imo aslong as they can get atleast one of Schenscher and Redhage and retain Creek.

Reply #361530 | Report this post

Flowergirl  
Years ago

Sixers have retained Creek for two years.Doubt they get Redhage or Schenser.

Reply #361538 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

If the Sixers have re-signed Creek, then they should make an even bigger play for Cadee. Being able to put two imports around an Australian core of DJ, Creek, Weigh and Cadee will have the Sixers back on track in no time.

Reply #361542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amount of crap every 1 was saying on here, espicaly when he broke his hip! Now u guyz would love 2 have him? Keep dreaming! His the heart of perth! He has plenty of wooden spoons at home! His wife does't need another 1! Get the ranga, u mite finish equal last!

Reply #361546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vart, we had that group (bar Cadee) with two half-decent imports and came last. I know what you're saying, but if I didn't say it, someone else was going to! If Weigh can pick it up a bit, that will be a big help.

Reply #361547 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Surely its just a hypothetical in the interests to humour the Adelaide people??

He's contracted to Perth. Also, he's one of the highest profile Wildcats player and is somewhat of a household name. I doubt the Wildcats would release him just so they can get a 3pt shooter worth 8-10 points and free up some cash.

He'll be the next Wildcat to get his jersey retired, and I'm pretty sure he will want to captain the team into the Perth Arena era. Plus he wants championships, not wooden spoons (even though he will improve the Sixers wins, he still needs better quality around him)

However if it did happen I'll eat my words!

Reply #361548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would hate Redhage,a more annoying player there is not. I don't doubt his talent he just annoys me. The next step would be to bring Boy Gorj or get Heal to player coach.

Reply #361550 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Issac, I'm banking on Creek and Cadee having huge upsides. There's a lot of improvement in them, and their should still be some improvement in both Weigh and DJ.

Reply #361553 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Wildcat fan, I would agree with you. In relation to the sport in general, there aren't enough stalwarts at clubs to warrant retiring jerseys. It would be nice to have some staples in our clubs again.

My suggestions are just speculation. In a real world, Redhage wouldn't go off the bench, wouldn't play the 3 spot and wouldn't leave a finals team. It would make no sense in doing so.

I was hoping when Ballinger came to the Sixers, that I'd be seeing another stalwart ala Davis/Maher in another 3-4 years. However that won't happen.

I think on that same subject, it would be good to see Martin and Redhage having their jerseys hanging from the rafters at Challenge.

Reply #361554 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vart, that's fair enough, but you could say we were banking on the same last year. Need some proven/winner types around them and that's where we've had problems in recent years.

Reply #361556 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ild quite like cadee. prefer him to redhage.

Reply #361559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winning seems to follow Schenscher everywhere he goes.

08/09 (36ers): Playoffs (36ers last playoff appearance)
09/10 (Wildcats): Championship
10/11 (Crocs): Semi-Finals
11/12 (Crocs): Semi-Finals

and that includes an NCAA Championship Game with Georgia Tech and being a member of the Chicago Bulls 2006 NBA playoff team ;)

Reply #361563 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

No Redhage!!! Hands down the biggest cheap shot mother to ever play NBL
Perth can keep him, he is a talent but I'd rather the spoon than have him running up and down the court for Adelaide. Only downhill from here for Redhage. Plenty of upside for the Sixers.

Reply #361582 | Report this post

Brett  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind if he left, there is a lot to like in Redhages game but there is also other sides to it which are less becoming. With Wagstaff needing minutes next year it wouldn't be the worst move in history with our points cap problems.

ps. If Redhage could play the 3 im pretty sure he would have been on court more with Wagstaff this season, definitely a 4

Reply #361589 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Need some proven/winner types around them and that's where we've had problems in recent years.

Isaac, does that include the coach as well?

I would welcome a Redhage type, someone who is not afraid to test the refs on how much dirt they will put up with. The 36ers of the last 5 years or so have been much too soft. They have allowed opposition teams to walk all over them on their own court. Time to find someone who will make a stand for the team and earn them their rights.

Reply #361599 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Redhage is one of those guys you love to hate. Bit like Worthington. He strikes me as someone who would be your favourite player on your team and the one you hate the most for the opposition. He's obviously a very dangerous player. Great range, good inside outside game, has been in a winning team for years... He's probably my least favourite player in the league, but could easily become my favourite when he wins us the game in round 1.

Funny thing looking at the new points rating is I was pretty happy seeing Ballinger rated at 8. Seemed like good value. Redhage was one of the ones that stood out as overpriced at 10. So we let Ballinger go and chase Redhage. Herbert and Creek were the others at 4 and we will probably let them go too. Schenscher finally got downgraded to 9 which is handy if we manage to sign him. Would be a huge big lineup if we landed all 3. That's a lot of the cap though for 2 positions.

Reply #361605 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, I've said my bit about the coach but it appears they're not making the change there.

Reply #361610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger an 8 is great value. Working high in his favour with 3 offers on the table.

Reply #361618 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

It like the stock market quote "if you are buying a stock, is there a chance that the person selling it knows more about what you are about to buy than you do"

Reply #361620 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754