Anonymous
Years ago

Can Abercrombie make the NBA?

Has a good body and consistent shot/athleticsm.

Can he make 'the show'?

Has an nba outclause in his contract.

Topic #28272 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Yes!

Reply #361675 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Reminds me of Sam McKinnon.Has the tools....

Reply #361676 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, but needs to get a lot stronger. And if he wants to be in a main rotation he needs to improve his handle.

Reply #361677 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Be in the right place, right time with the right team, yes.
Not playing NZBL this season and hitting the weight room. He increased his bulk a fair bit last season and he looked a heap better for it. His 3 ball is far more consistent and he now also has that mid range jumper falling at a good clip.

Reply #361678 | Report this post

AussieHoopla.com  
Years ago

Apparently various NBA teams have been watching him for years. I remember a scout (maybe David Patrick) came to watch breakers v tigers to scout Luke Nevill, Eric Devendorf (who is doing quite well in the nbl now) and Abercrombie. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a pre-season call up like Khazzouh did in Decemer, and although we'd love to see him there, I'd be surprised if he actually gets a contract.

Reply #361684 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree, there are plenty of really good players who should be getting minutes on an NBA team and don't.
Dražen Petrovi? was one of the worlds best players and he struggled to get on the court. Kirk Penney couldn't get a long term contract while Sean Marks had 10+ years in the league. Abercrombie if he continues to improve should at least get a look in.

Reply #361686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drazen Petrovic - Hardly Struggled to get on the court

CAREER AVERAGES

YEAR TEAM G GS MPG
89-90 POR 77 0 12.6
90-91 POR 18 0 7.4
90-91 NJN 43 0 20.5
90-91 -- 61 0 16.6
91-92 NJN 82 82 36.9
92-93 NJN 70 67 38.0
Career 290 149 26.4

Reply #361695 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ oh you can google stats *golfclap

the guy was scoring 40-60points in europe and struggled to get 10mins a game in Portland. it was no secret that he wasn't happy about his playing time and it wasn't until NJ that he was getting over 20mins consistently

Reply #361700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont post blanket statements that are baseless. NBA compared to Europe is a totally different game my friend

Reply #361716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petrovic was a trailblazer and part of the reason why more international players now play in the NBA.

Reply #361743 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mystro, you are right, Petrovic was used little behind Drexler at Portland. It wasnt until he moved to New Jersey that he got to silence the doubters who didnt believe a European could be a dominant force in the NBA.

Ironically, he had to leave the Trailblazers to become a trailblazer.

Reply #361744 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

^ NICE!

Reply #361787 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

opposite to what Orbit said.

Reply #361805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abecrombie is a good player in the NBL relative to the compition, personally i'd say he's skill set is mediocre at best at the moment in comparison to his NBA counterparts. He's not great at creating his own shot, doesn't handle the ball that well and his defense and bball IQ is questionable at a higher level, his real advantage in the NBL lies in athleticism. He has been shooting the 3 ball well though which bodes well for him. Players like Abercrombie are a dime a dozen in America, and unless he can start dominating the NBL statistically, he won't get a shot at the NBA. I liken him to guys like Newley and Ingles both outstanding in the NBL but currently just fall short in the next level. If Abercrombie had Kirk Penny's game then he's worth a shot, givien that he's 24, he's on the cusp of a truly breakout season. He really needs to show that he's legitimately above NBL standard to even warrant a look at.

Reply #362054 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Ate you kidding me no way.

HAs an ugly jump shot.

For Every Abercrombie type player there is a Gerald Green type player

Reply #362264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He really needs to show that he's legitimately above NBL standard to even warrant a look at."

Like Simpson and Mills? Really, that has nothing to do with it. He does need to improve a lot though, because like you say his athleticism is average in the NBA.

Reply #362267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754