Jack Toft
Years ago

R6 ABL Action

Just like a 6 pm phonecall from a telemarketer selling mobile phone insurance funeral plans, it's back on this Saturday night. ABA is wide open once again with a lot of tight games this season.

Mavs-South @ Mt B
Women: How come Mavs get 3 home games in a row? Is Mt Barker stadium hosting the Adelaide Hills camelia society next few weeks? South are more compettive than what people think, so we could be looking at a close game here. Hold onto you Ruskis girls, this will go down to the wire. Once again, Team Madgen to prevail, but she can’t do it all by herself.
Men: Who would have thought South would be in the top 5 after R5? What’s more unbelieveable is that they will probably be there on Sunday too. The Mavs look like their banjo is missing a few strings so there’s no banjo playing this week.

North-West @ The Tin Shed
Women: North girls can’t seem to do much wrong at the moment whereas West are catching colds without trying. The Rockets couldn’t get another win fall into their lap could they?
Men: Mens MOTR. Are Sturt North’s bogey side, or are Sturt everyone’s bogey side? West may boom if they have got DJ suiting up (confirm?) and with a recent track record looking like Black Caviar are set to crush the Rockets and use them for fill in the carpark potholes. Probably not much mercy to be shown from either side.

Flames-Sabres @ The Internet Blackhole
Women: Around round, another win for Flamettes, pity we can’t watch it blow by blow on the web.
Men: After a shaky start, Sturt are in the top 5 and the Sith Lords stroll into MARS deathstar for a showdown with the Wookies. I think everyone will agree both teams were much stronger in Season 2011, but the Sabres v2012 are stronger than Flames v2012 and should make the encounter one all for both clubs.

Tigers-Warriors
Women: Should be a tight game as 4th host 6th. Tigeresses are unbeaten at home this season and that’s good enough for me.
Men: There’s 2 Tigers teams. One with Tanis, one without. There’s only one Woodville team and they are sitting third on the ladder. Some say their performance has been "Inzane". Being a Tiger supporter is like trying to eat soup on a train, just gotta watch the bumps and scoop as much in when you can. The Tanis Tigers have a chance against the Warriors, but Woodville might have a magic dragon up their sleeve.

Lions-Eagles at Starplex
Women: Women’s MOTR. Two definite finalists will be going full throttle. Forestville on a high after sweeping the girls side of the junior champs last weekend, Centrals love tasting blood at home. Don’t expect either bench to be cleared, so for the young players, keep your trackies on. Centrals should get this one, but in the long term Forestville and titles just go together like a kid with a runny nose and green sleeves.
Men: Luck has eluded the Lions like a school boy looking for a first kiss. The Brads have dropped the ball in the last 3 games and have plumetted like Julia in the polls to find themselves lurching around the bottom half of the table. After such a great start, is someone holding their turtle? Lions always seem to have one shocking quarter and might be kissless again this Saturday night.

Topic #28280 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

I think that's the first positive review for woodville by jack...

Reply #361796 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sorry about that . . . . .

Reply #361799 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

You're not getting 'soft' and trying to get on Ricey's good side are you Jack?
Will BA let DJ suit up now?

"kid with runny nose and green sleeves"- love your work again

Reply #361802 | Report this post

Pen15  
Years ago

South have been doing very well considering they dont relly have any standout players. Just a bunch of solid players who seem to really gel together.
They could be sitting 4-1, but unlucky with a narrow loss to Woodville in rd 1. I expect them to surprise a few people this season and although its early days I reckon they'll make finals. A great young crop of players coming through aswell!

Who would've thought this after going winless in the pre season comp.

Reply #361878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South doing well but wont make finals, lets not get 2 ahead of ourself

Reply #362023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massacre at morphett vale tigers men are terrible

Reply #362079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone tell.me south vs mavs stats... men and women. not on sporting pulse

Reply #362082 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

Sturt men beat Norwood by 20. Closer game than it sounds albeit. Refs were pretty average.

I've never understood the double foul. Ben McDonald used it poorly tonight.

Reply #362088 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Borrego is listed on the Forestville scorecard, but didn't get on court. Was she actually in the building? Can anyone confirm if she was there, but didn't hit court.

Reply #362089 | Report this post

Netball  
Years ago

Yep she was there...

Reply #362090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South won at Eastern by 3 in the mens, ugly game.

Eastern won by a about ten in the womens.

Reply #362091 | Report this post

I've never understood Benn McDonald!

Reply #362092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

um yes, Tess Madgen can do it all by herself!! Just watch her. South women put up a really good fight, but no one can and could stop Madgen. Give her the medal already..

Reply #362097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure borego was not at the starplex last night , she does appear on the live stats feed though.

Hopefully no swifty being pulled here by the eagles.

Reply #362098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Borrego is probably contracted with the Thunderbirds so cant play ABL yet. I think Forestville are doing a dodgy there!!!

Reply #362099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Borrego should go play for tigers men's team!! Be better than what they got

Reply #362101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha, I reckon she would pass!

Reply #362102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just goes to show what a farce the league is if boreggo qualifies for finals. it used to be enforced that a player needed to be dressed and ready to play to qualify as a game played. Maybe it is time to enforce a rule similar to nationals where a player needs to lodge a stat to count as a game played. at least a second of gametime should be used.

Reply #362103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben McDonald's double foul was an utter disgrace last night. They should review the tape of the incident

Reply #362106 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Borrego appears on the stats sheet on the webcast, but is shown as playing 0 minutes. If you're not physically in the building, or on the bench, then you shouldn't be on the official play list. Surely there is a by-law relating to this.

So, some of the logical scenarios as to why she was listed but didn't play are:

1. Borrego was in uniform, on the bench, but injured or felt sick and didn't play.
2. Borrego was in uniform, on the bench, but coach's DNP
3. Borrego was planning to be there, but got caught up in traffic or couldn't find Starplex so wandered aimlessly around Gawler asking randoms for directions, then turned up too late.
4. Borrego was abducted by aliens, was the subject of a few experiments, then miraculously dropped on by 11:40 this morning ready for the T'birds.
5. Her dog ate her homework.

It would be extremely disappointing if Forestville felt that they had to pull a swifty to get her minimum games up for qualification for finals. Will we expect to see Lauren Jackson's name on the Forestville scorecard next round?

Reply #362108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She suited the other week to get a game under her belt for qualification purposes. Didn't get on of course as the thunderbirds at this stage comes first.

As for last night def bit there in any capacity .

It was discussed at the game and I'm very sure a please explain is on the way to paul arnott.

Surely though it's up to the bench staff to count the players on the bench and check all is in order.

What ever happened to having names removed from the score sheet if they are not there by half time.

Simo knows the bylaws better than her own address and would not break the rules but test the law to its limits.

Or it may just be an accident.

Reply #362110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AWW! Jack your true colours are showing now in this abl farce where the rules are as rubbery as your predictions.

Why would you worry about such trivia when so much is below the counter in this game.Could it be that you are more concerned with their 'bought' player being too good for 'all of your bought players' in the finals?

Don't be so precious Jack unless you extend your concerns to the tacit breeches of the rules across the board. There is so much happening that is not in the spirit of the game or its long term future including manufacturing sides to win flags rather than building club values with true club players.

Perhaps concern yourself more with what value is winning a flag in 2012 and returning to bottom in the following years when the mercenaries tire of the travel. An Underdeveloped junior programs with a reliance on country players and a bought senior side both spell short term success and long term failure unlike Sturt who are travelling roughly but will be a force in a few years because of their juniors.
Get over it.

Reply #362113 | Report this post

Crazi  
Years ago

Kev a double foul or double Unsportsmanlike is generally called when two players are fighting for position and fouling each other sinaltanious
The ref would call this to keep control and reduce the chance of a fight
McDonald called it for this reason IMO
It's different if a ref calls double foul because they can't work out who is responsible

Reply #362114 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

sorry if I hit a raw nerve

Reply #362115 | Report this post

kevdefender  
Years ago

Crazi you are very far off on this one. Were you at the game?

Reply #362116 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

BSA showed their class again last night when a referee had to make his own announcement that the game he had reffed at Hillcrest was his 450th, and his last.

Reply #362117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course he announced it himself - he probably requested it that way!

Reply #362119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simons wont bend the rules give me break. this from thd person who stamps her feet at juniors games while opposition clubs shoot...

Reply #362121 | Report this post

Crazi  
Years ago

Yes was at the game and thought it was correct call

Reply #362122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Simos would never bend/break the rules. They are the most upstanding representation of sportsmanship in the state..........

Yes - I'm drunk

Reply #362123 | Report this post

here we go again  
Years ago

it's obvious that qualifying barego is far more important to Sharon than playing the game in the spirit that it should be. Sharon believes that they are not breaking any rules and probablly not,but naming someone who is not going to play before the end of the netball season is just typical of the simmos head space. it's not about development it's all about Sharon. go eagles!!!

Reply #362124 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

Spurrit for sturt was shirt fronted off the ball whilst running down into offense by Howell. Howell was clearly frustrated at missing a shot just prior. Spurrit put his hands in the air and walked away. Mcdonald called a double foul.

Mcdonald got this one far wrong Crazi. You may of been there, but might not of seen it properly cos it was a pretty obvious bad call.

Agree that the tape should be reviewed of McDonald.

Reply #362125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The double foul was for 14 sturt coming in and bumping the Norwood player after the above incident occurred. It was a dead ball therefore automatic unsportsmanlike foul.

Benn called the double foul as both penalties are nullified, both players penalized for their actions and the ball goes back to the team in possession. Correct call.

Reply #362126 | Report this post

____  
Years ago

i remember something a few years ago about having to be involved in the warm ups to qualify, last game i saw when the team was warming up she was sitting down on the sidelines eating an apple
but at the same time if warming up is the rule how does bsa prove it

its sad to wayne retire last night i thought he was the best ref in comp atm, i reckon he asked to make the announcement but i would have thought bsa would have presented him with something after 450 games thats a pretty big feat

Reply #362127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - 362126
you obviously have no idea as you are talking about a seperate incident. the double foul that is in question is due to howell chasing down the player in frustration

Reply #362129 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

362126 - Wow. You are talkign about a completely different incident that happened in the first half. The terrible McDonald double foul happened in the 2nd half.

Reply #362130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Borego needs to at least be present and I believe she has only been at one maybe two games, having her on the sheet doesnt qualify. Bylaws say eligibility requires to play 40% of games, that will be 7-8. I hope someone kicks up a fuss about this, cause Sharon isn't fair to her loyal players and doesn't give a toss about developing the juniors. Will be interesting how she feels about that when her kids are in the same position.

Reply #362131 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I know borrego was on the bench for the eagles vs sturt match in round 2 (though she wasnt in uniform)

Reply #362132 | Report this post

Review  
Years ago

Haha you want Benn to review his own call? He is the video review person in the ABa this year

Reply #362139 | Report this post

Haydo  
Years ago

Does anyone know if she was actually on the score sheet. It may be a case of the livestats still having her on the list as they didn't know and by the time it was realised the game had started so the playing list can not be altered. The rules are based on the score sheet not the stats sheet. If she was on the score sheet (which I doubt) the scorebench officials should have raised the question. There has been 2 or 3 games this season where she has suited up and not played (and been correctly included on the scoresheet). To be honest (might be my bias though) I don't mind her suiting up and not playing as she is one of te best players in the league and we need to try and attract these types of players to the league. She also brought with her some publicity as I recall multiple articles last year (including in the advertiser) about her and he women's state league basketball, this was the frat time I can remember that there has been much info on womens state league in the advertiser.

Reply #362140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the problem is with borego personally, believe she is well liked in the team, it's the coaches attitude with winning any which way and the way she treats her players

Reply #362143 | Report this post

Rag  
Years ago

Mens coach does the same thing with big named players who are injured being placed on the score sheet even though the players are obviously not going to play but they want them to qualify and BSA are run by Forestville

Reply #362144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was on the score sheet last Round, even though she was in Perth with the Thunderbirds at the time. As a stats person I brought it to the attention of the Refs as well.

Reply #362145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Howell shirt fronted Spurrit. Just proves he must be a mental midget. The last person to try that is still in traction.

Reply #362146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After reading the bylaws, injury is a different point, but not being there is not accepted even if listed

Reply #362149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She isn't injured so if she was not at the game the game should not count! If BSA allow them to count then it is a disgrace

Reply #362153 | Report this post

well, well, well!! isn't it funny how different rules apply to different clubs - we were told last year to qualify for finals - a player not only had to appear on the scoresheet, suit up for the bench but also actually "warm up" on court prior to game - seriously BSA - prove it!! We even had to have a Doctors Certificate ready to prove injury. Could probably almost guarantee Borrego has not "warmed up" for any games she appeared on scoresheet for. What a joke

Reply #362159 | Report this post

how much you wanna bet, she will warm up every game from now on - pfft!!

Reply #362160 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

At least everyone in Adelaide will be able to hear the Bronx cheer when she finally hits the court.

Reply #362163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't have a problem if it's above board or else it's just blatant cheating

Reply #362165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winners are cheered Jack, it's centrals who are bronxed. Drink your milk and stop pretending you're just an observer.

Reply #362166 | Report this post

cheating at BSA surely not - blatant bias by refs surely not - and again pfft

Reply #362168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of assumptions being made here

Reply #362170 | Report this post

yeah true, should have shut up, gone out filmed every eagles warmup and then waited to see if Borrego qualified, oh well too late now, like i said wanna bet she warms up every game now??? Hey North take note, your next

Reply #362173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just hope shazza gets called for it ha ha ha would live to see her hissy fit, priceless

Reply #362178 | Report this post

#165 - above board?? are you for real??? how many rounds has she been named and not played, seriously, one maybe two you can get away with, but wait, I am sure there is by-law number such and such and as long as the door faces eagles nest the teflon coverage is good.

Reply #362187 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Long time ago, but Forestville pulled the move when we were in U20s by naming Brad Newley against us on the scoresheet twice during the season (when he was at the AIS).

Reply #362190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You still alive Libertine?

Reply #362191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the loud voices of all you self righteous, upstanding citizens on salary cap abuses and play as many as you can buy teams? Silent like the hypocrites you are.

Reply #362200 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

There are rules being broken all over the place!! Nothing ever gets done about it.. Unfortunately everyone is wasting their breath.

Reply #362203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Anon #200 Forestville fall in that catorgry as well

Reply #362209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you all seem to forget that Stats are filled in from either score sheet or from an offical list of players. once the game commences the player if not there is crossed off the scoresheet or should I say if the player is not there by half time should be crossed off. A player named on the scoresheet at ABA level if they are arrive in the last five are still entitled to play as long as their name is on the sheet.

Stats however just record them as a DND but do not often go into edit to remove their name from the playing list. it is the scoresheet here that is the key not the stats sheet.

Reply #362220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA need to follow this up and make a statement on the matter given she single handly took a mid range team to a championship winner last season.

Reply #362221 | Report this post

factfinder  
Years ago

Okay, so through out all of the bitching and whinging etc, no-one actually bothered to check the by-laws??

From the BSA ABA By-Laws from the Central ABL Site.

8. Finals eligibility

8.1 To be eligible to play in the League or ACC a player, has to have played a minimum of 40% of games in that season. The player must have their name entered on the score sheet before the start of the game and be dressed ready to play and participate in the game by being on court.

Seems pretty clear cut to me. You can name her on every single scoresheet if you want, but as is stated in the by laws - she must be present, dressed ready to play, and participate in the game by being on the court for a minimum 40% of the games.

Reply #362229 | Report this post

CLEAR?  
Years ago

The Last ANZ league game is not till 1st of July with the Grand Final on the 23rd of July.
If Boreggo is not avaialble till then and has not participated ( whatever that means) I find it hard to see how she could possibly play the 8 games required?
The ABL finals start on the 11th of august

Last round game is the 4th of august. That is 3 games Maximum that she can actually participate in.

I guess if they can get away with it we will see rule changes next year to dis-allow this.

Reply #362234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

she was on the scoresheet and not in the building when they played south and I know the ref was going to query it as he thought it was not right

Reply #362239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

once on the score sheet and okayed by officials the player in question is automatically acreditted with that appearance.

Reply #362241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe then the opposition should be making a query and get the refs to follow through. And "factfinder" perhaps you should read the whole thread because your facts were previously mentioned.

Reply #362245 | Report this post

factfinder  
Years ago

#245 -

I have read the whole thread, and havent actually seen anyone quote the by-law, hence why I thought I would...

Its pretty straight forward really, I dont see any area of grey or confusion:

The player must have their name entered on the score sheet before the start of the game and be dressed ready to play and participate in the game by being on court.

Even if she is on the score sheet, which is signed by the officials -

the fact is she has not participated in the game by being on the court!

And this to me doesnt include warm-ups etc or any other loop hole, she must have participated in the game.

I really hope the BSA enforce the by-law, and by all accounts rule her ineligible

Reply #362246 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

This could be an interesting outcome. I will be staying tuned!!

Reply #362248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course this rule won't be enforced - the Eagle$ will work their way towards another tainted premiership.

Reply #362251 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yes they will, and will continue to do so unless something is done about it!!

Reply #362252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

May I suggest that if you have played against F/ville already and her name is on the sheet and in your opinion she was not at the game or was ready to participate raise it with your President and demand that he/she writes to BSA and request an investigation.

Unless we enforce rules such as this and speaking to listed players without giving 14 days notice etc AND demanding full penalties apply then it will just continue to be a rabble where the rich clubs bully their way through BSA rules

Reply #362257 | Report this post

No Idea  
Years ago

Borrego did suit up for the Sturt game despite what AD says above. I also think you'll find that every other Eagles player is or has been an Eagles junior, so Sturt aren't the lone ranger there.

Reply #362261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt she contracted to netball. What does her netball contract say. I would assume it would say she is unable to participate in another sport until her contract expires. Which I think would make what forestville are doing null and void as she proberly cant legally suit up for Forestville until the end of netball season...........just a though for the legal beagles out there

Reply #362277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! a netballer has got all you hoopsters sweating and squealing like pigs. Norwood would be so happy the heats off their backs.

Reply #362293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Norwood putting people on the scoresheet that aren't at the games? If so fair enough call! But I think not

Reply #362421 | Report this post

Lightining  
Years ago

No Norwood are just suiting the 5 WNBL players...

Reply #362478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...legally. Whereas Fore$tville are (again) acting above the rules.

Reply #362509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a no rules, watched by no one, small and unimportant sport this is a storm in a thimble that has got more attention than any of the games. Who cares if they suit or don't suit her because her playing brings the only really classy player to the abl.

Reply #362532 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Top minutes played for Norwood (up to R6) are:
Lewis (188:16), Foley (184:53); Custance (172:36), Stabile (147:45), Herrick (146:33), Walker-Roberts (137:58). The other 7 players used have shared 231 minutes. I think you'll find most teams have a similar picture

If you have quality WNBL talent at your fingertips like Lewis; Foley; Stabile; Herrick, use it.

Reply #362535 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Anon whilst you are right Borrego is a class player, I think Jess Foley and Tess Madgen are also class players and hopefully there are some youngsters who will become class players in the future.

Reply #362538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you give the quality tag a little freely Jack

Reply #362590 | Report this post

Lightining  
Years ago

"...legally. Whereas Fore$tville are (again) acting above the rules."

What rule exactly is that...

Try the facts first then form an opinion based on the facts, maybe a new experience....

Reply #362599 | Report this post

Years ago

"Lightining" (whatever that is) - I believe it's already been explained for you, above in this thread. Goi back and read again, very slowly this time.

Reply #362687 | Report this post

Lightining  
Years ago

5151 - I have thanks...not a rules issue just alot of opinions not factually based...

Reply #362813 | Report this post

Fleagle  
Years ago

BSA sent an email to Centrals, South and Forestville explaining that Borrego did not qualify as having played these two games. She therefore has been recorded as legally playing only the first four games. These are the rules, bsa have adjudicated, so give her a break.

Reply #362901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol - talk about pretending to take action without actually doing it. Oh well, I guess it will be yet another Forestville title that was tainted in the way it was obtained!

Reply #363038 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754