Congratulations and Farewell Wayne Maidment

On Saturday night Wayne announced his retirement at the beginning of his 450th State League (now CABL) Game.

Wayne is one of our Top semior officials still in the game today and officiated NBL for many years. It is a true honour to know Wayne and watch him call the game. it will be sad to see a senior member of our team leave but he will surely still be out helping the younger officials improve and work on their game to reach the level he officiated at.

Congratulations on a successful Officating career and well done on reaching 450 games, it will be sad to miss the oppotunity to call a game with you but your help has always been appreciated.

SO THANKYOU WAYNE AND ONCE AGAIN WELL DONE MATE!

p.s this post is to let everyone know about Wayne's massive achievement so please restrain from any bagging and keep your opinion to yourselfs cheers.

Topic #28296 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Without refs there is no game. 450 games since 1987 is quite an achievement. Well done.

Reply #362185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Wayne... From a coach and player!!

Reply #362186 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Yes, Wayne reffed many games I coached.

He always took pride in the job,and is highly respected by many over his long career.

I just wish BSA had organised something better to acknowledge his talent and commitment.

I trust he can still have the time and passion to help others reach his level of ability and long-standing.

Reply #362195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Restrain from any bagging and keep your opinions to yourselfs" coming from the guy who uses "hoops should be banned" as his username. I'm pretty sure that is an opinion, and a negative one at that.

Reply #362196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done WAyne on a long career.

It maybe that this is the way Wayne chose to go out rather than make a big hoopla. Seeing he was already rostered for the next round I would think that his retirement came as a big a shock to his partner on the game as it did to BSA. Perhaps rather than say he would give it away when he reached a magical number he kept that under his hat. Hard to organise anything if you haven't been informed.

But that said it doesn't take away from Wayne's accomplishments.

Reply #362197 | Report this post

Unhappy  
Years ago

RUBISH
It was his 450th game and he had to announce it himself after the game.....

MIKE GIBSON pull your finger out!!

There isn't even a mention of it on the website

Well done Wayne, not so much BSA

Reply #362199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having known Wayne for a lot of years i'd like to congratulate him on his career. I'd also like to congratulate him on continuing refereeing at the State Level after leaving the NBL. Not many do that and his contribution to development in SA cannot be understated. Great job mate.

Reply #362213 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

My congrats to wayne and farewell,a great umpire at state level ,great bloke,will be sorely missed at state league games,I hope wayne can help the struggling refereeing system by doing Mike Gibsons job,i am sure he can do a FAR better job,because hes passionate about Basketball.

Reply #362244 | Report this post

Phil Haines  
Years ago

I would like to congratulate Wayne on his career, what a great achievement. I would also like to thank him for the guidance and direction he provided to me when I was coming through the ranks, it taught me how to be professional, treat every game with respect and how to communicate with both players and coaches. Thank you wayne and best wishes for the future.

Reply #362259 | Report this post

Nathan Durant  
Years ago

I would also like to Congratulate Wayne on a sensational career. I was shocked to say the least to hear that Wayne is hanging up the whistle, I guess he seems to be the kind of guy that would keep refereeing forever.
Thankyou for everything you have taught me and the education you have given me, especially emphasising how important professional communication and networking have within basketball.
Keep kiss hello-ing your way around the basketball circles mate and best wishes for your life after refereeing!!!

Reply #362282 | Report this post

Congratulations on a great career Wayne, you're a great referee and always very good to chat with, goodluck in your future ventures.

Reply #362284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

196 SPOT ON

To the bloke that posted this, go live in North Korea!

Reply #362298 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

As a young kid growing up, I wanted to referee the 36ers. And here was a guy who actually did it. Whenever I was lucky enough to step out onto the court with Wayne, I had to take a deep breath as I knew for those next 40 minutes, I was going to 'the learning tree'.
I wish to further add to the compliments and gratitude for all the time you managed to provide me with tips on how to better service the game of basketball!

Reply #362307 | Report this post

For those insensitive people. the p.s section of my post was to let people know this post was for the purpose of letting everyone know about Wayne's great achievement. i did not want people to come on here and start bagging wayne for calls or events that may have happened during their games. or for them to.voice their opinion about what they think of his officiating. Wayne is an exceptional official and has had a great impact on many players, coaches and referees. so please stop being rude and just leave.

Reply #362324 | Report this post

I didn't realise you'd grown up Matt.

Reply #362367 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Congratulations Wayne, Born a left handed red headed referee, the odds have always been against you (LOL), but you managed to forge out a fantastic career as a ref and a real decent bloke to go along with it, your friends up in Mildura are very proud. WELL DONE MATE

Reply #362382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754