Jack Toft
Years ago

R7 ABL Action

Sturt-Mavs @ Pasadena
Women: Sturt have lost their last 5 and are languishing in unfamiliar territory near the "bomb shelter". Mavs haven't travelled much and Tess will surely get a frosty reception from the Sturt faithful. How will Sturt try to nullify her power? If her “fouls on” count hits double figures, would that count as part of a quadroooople double? Hard to see Tess not having a good game.
Men: Mavs are yet to win, and despite 90% of the basketball community behind them against Sturt, are unlikely to crack open the jar of pickles and dip their fingers in the salty vinegar this week. When the Sabres smell fear they call for their official sprigger to file their fangs even sharper. Probably not a trip to remember for the Mavs.

Warriors-Flames @ St Clair
Women: The Warriors are next on the Flames hit list. It was great to see the live stats from Mars last round, but by con-incidence none from Mt Barker. Are there only 4 USB sticks going around, or was there a midnight raid? A Flames win gives me mixed emotions - it is like watching your ex wife drive your red sportscar off a cliff.
Men: Both times the Warriors have played at home this season we have seen the same scoreline of 73 to 72. Can they make it 3 in a row? I had better keep Ricey happy, so I’ll tip Woodville to knock off the Flames. Al better make sure he has cleaned his teeth this week because there will be plenty of smiles for Al this week.

Bearcats-Tigers @ Port
Women: Bearcats just can’t seem to get it on this season. Tigeresses looking pretty in the top 5 and they will be hoping the stars don’t align for West for another week. There’s no full moon on Saturday night so the Tigeresses might just start to get used to the champagne served in the top 5 and let Westies drink the brandivino of the bottom half of the table.
Men: Westies choked last round and called for the Heimlich manouver, but when North offered to help, they had other intentions. Westies are on the rebound and are out to make ammends. This clash might be like bringing a bucket to a bushfire. Sadly for Tigers fan, a bucket with a hole in it.

Lions-Panthers @ Starplex
Women: Lionesses are one of the teams setting the standards in the women’s section and are set to pounce on their prey this round. Another bench clearing for them this week.
Men: The Panthers have overcome adversity this season whereas the Lions look like enjoying another average season as they invent new ways to let their opponents win games. The excitement for Lions fans at the end of the women’s game will quickly evaporate by quarter time like our carbon tax compensation come July 1.

Forestville-North @ Wayville
Women: Will Carla warmup and then take a shower to tick a game off? If she is not there, are there plans to draw a pentagram on the court and chant her name backwards three times to make her appear? North will have their work cut out this week. But, as well all know Forestville and wins go together like Rebekah Brooks and a phone hack.
Men: Mens MOTR. A classic clash of the titans. Both teams exude talent and despite being caught with their pants down for a few rounds, the Feagles hit hard last round to let everyone know it’s not just about the girls at the club. Norf’s only blemish was a zit called Sturt that appeared before the big date. I’m calling this to go to OT with both teams having no discernable advantage over the other.

Topic #28327 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave the cardon tax politics out Jack. I'm sure you'll notice the increase in the tax free threshold come your first pay packet.

Reply #362739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't tell me this forum has been infiltrated by a Labor stooge who actually believes that carbon tax as implemented in Australia is good. My business colleagues overseas just shake their heads in disbelief

Reply #362762 | Report this post

Marketing Guru  
Years ago

Fantastic Jack!

Joked on my ham and cheese samba on the OT prediction for Wayville

Reply #362769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A Flames win gives me mixed emotions - it is like watching your ex wife drive your red sportscar off a cliff"

Gold

Reply #362773 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

'a zit called Sturt...'

Aah beauty in the eye of the beholder............

Reply #362783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, mate. Korea our fourth biggest trading partner just legislated for an ETS similar to what we will have. The state of California has a ETS and that is a bigger economy than ours, China is planning to introduce a carbon pricing scheme and Europe has had one operating for years.

We'll be fine, it will be just like the GST a big storm in a teacup once it comes in.

And for the record I'm a small business owner and basketball coach, not aligned to either major party. But as a trained economist I do believe the cheapest way to limit greenhouse gas emissions is a via a market mechinism and I'm sick of seeing this shit everywhere I go.

Reply #362837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack's even sucked in the political groupies on this one. Way to branch out!

Reply #362844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh economics. Greece and Spain show the rest of the world how run their finances. Oh and let's not forget Italy. Perhaps they are technically not part of 'Europe' any more.

Reply #362885 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Jeepers!

I'm not making a comment on whether or not we should have this tax.

Reply #362893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

other lost for south womens

Reply #362902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Email sent to all clubs about player eligibility today, looks like Borrega will be crossed off the scoresheet this week

Reply #362908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You liberal stooge. Not even bothering after that last comment.

Facts and figures are useless when talking to people like you who are flat out counting past ten.

Reply #362910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't this a basketball forum?

Lets get back to the interesting stuff yeah.

Reply #362915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thunderbirds don't play until Monday night, so if Carla is suited for the game & warms up, why would her name be crossed off the score sheet. There are plenty of players that don't hit the court each week.

Reply #362975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah but they are actually in the country when the games on!!

Reply #362979 | Report this post

Granny  
Years ago

Because she has no intention to take the court.

8.1 To be eligible to play in the League or ACC a player, has to have played a minimum of 40% of games in that season. The player must have their name entered on the score sheet before the start of the game and be dressed ready to play and participate in the game by being on court.

I would contend that her Thunderbirds contract would explude her from "ready to play and participate in the game".

Some players wont get on the court because of them not being good enough.

She is not getting on the court because she is not allowed too.

And that her club/coach decided to put her on the score sheet when she wasn't even in the building shows that they are rorting the system and it is funny how the person making the decision is from the same club as this has not been put to the competition committee.

Reply #362980 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Can I put out there that there were other teams courting Carla in the pre season to do exactly like what is happening at Forestville. If fairness is the issue here then lets also get to the bottom of how Norwood can have Foley and Lewis and to a lesser extent Herrick and Stabile or under the salary cap. Or how Centrals have Mahoney, Keane and Lloyd (hardly past juniors) under their cap.
At every club rules are stretched and anyone that says different is full of it.

Reply #362985 | Report this post

Granny  
Years ago

Doesnt make it right.

And there is a rule that is being blatantly rorted.

The issue most people has is that the person deciding on the rule is from the club in question.

Reply #362991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

granny, the email sent out yesterday, was from the person you are referring to, think a bit to much is made of him working for BSA and coaching at a club!

Reply #362998 | Report this post

Granny  
Years ago

Totally your opinion. My opinion, and that of some others may differ. I believe that there have been to 'many' different situations where it can been suggested that benefits have gone a certain way and the different group put in place to maintain a lack of ercieved bias have not been consulted.

Reply #363002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put your hand on your heart and say basketball in South Australia is in a good place.
Most have accepted that rorts and nepotism are the building blocks of the game here where some clubs are more equal than others.
You can jump up and down about it, as some have and suffer the consequences or shrug your shoulders and let the 3 or 4 clubs out do each other with dirty tricks in both the men and women's game.
Just like the state champs, abl is a black caviar event with just enough runners to make it seem like a competition but not enough to make it a real race and the winners are known beforehand.
It's just a game for most of us and we love playing but eventually I guess more will take up more transparent codes because I can't ever see rules being adhered to or created that are at the centre of the game's well being.

Reply #363005 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

You would be surprised who else and how much another Centrals womens player is being paid!! Salary cap?? Whats that mean??

Reply #363008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as for Norwood - Lewis and Foley are the only 2 that are "restricted players"..
does anyone pay attention to the salary cap???

Reply #363014 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Some teams dont go close to exceeding it, others feel they have the right.

Reply #363017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We do!! We can't afford not to as we don't have the funds available to us that other larger clubs do!

Reply #363020 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think there are a number of teams in that boat #020. Some clubs seem to find the funds for the men and just happen to struggle with the women.

Reply #363029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know our club isn't playing anything on both sides...and that's probably the way it should be. Spend the money on getting your junior programs right instead.

Reply #363047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers Girls are going really we for young Group.

Reply #363073 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw , 40% - I grew up with , and with footy 3 games.
Basketball is not an option for her.
Well , that's the way it goes.

Reply #363077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just think some people are trying to add opinions to the ruling. As I said previously, if she is present (then she must be in the country), suited & warming up; then she meets the rule.

A team could do the same thing for an injured player that needs to qualify, but has no intention of playing. Coaches have no intention in playing some bench players so what's the difference - except people feel threatened.

So many rules are stretched so if you are going to complain & nit pick this one, you need to look at a lot of clubs.

Reply #363081 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Camel 31
I have no idea what you just said

Reply #363084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches need not play an injured player as they get a exemtion for those games they are injured in.

And for what its worth. She not only did not warm up, but had her hair down and sat on the end of the bench eating apples.

Clearly was not 'ready to play' according to the rules.

Reply #363085 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We gotta stop her sitting on the Eagles bench.
Who else can we get rid of playing our sport.

Reply #363086 | Report this post

Lightining  
Years ago

I agree. I saw another player that clearly wasn't ready to play either.

They were sitting in the middle of the bench chewing gum with untidy hair...

Damn that rule...

Reply #363089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did they warm up.

And were they the best play on their team but were they suspicuiously absent from taking the court.

Why not just suit up anyone and bring them in for finals? It makes a mockery of the competition.

Reply #363095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumies can be collected at the centrals, norwood and north reception areas.

Reply #363099 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The law is an ass . To quote a phrase.

Reply #363125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately camel 31, basketball laws emanate from the ass, are enforced by an ass and serve the purposes of clubs whose only wisdom shines from the ass.

Reply #363129 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hang on....

"Apart from Justice being done, it must seen to be done"

Reply #363132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack are being a tiny bit of hypocrite?

Reply #363135 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Jack are being a tiny bit of hypocrite?"

Please, please, please.

If you is going to abuse me, please speak with the goodest grammar so everyone can understand the verbal diarrhoea clearly and succinctly. They do teach it still up to year 10 I believe, and it is a beautiful language when used correctly.

Reply #363138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are two headed jack consequently the plural is correct

Reply #363151 | Report this post

All clubs need to be looked at regarding salary cap issues. Any fella who has played senior club footy knows club treasurers either: do what the president/committee tells them to regarding writing cheques, or are extremely clever people who can manipulate the books with ease.

Regarding Borrego, Forestville cannot be allowed to qualify Borrego without 1 - injury allowances, or 2 - suiting, warming up and sitting on the bench.

The bylaw makes it clear.

Review the game tapes, credit her the games she was suiting, warming up and sitting on the bench, and dock her the games she wasn't.

It's not about "turning someone else away from the game" - its about the (remaining) credibility of the league, and Ergo, BSA as a whole!

If it was any other club, I'd be saying the exact same thing. Until BSA bites the big one and gets serious about bylaw enforcement, junior program scheduling and quality training and development of its office and on-court staff, the competition will continue to meander along as a poor shadow of its former self.

Reply #363165 | Report this post

Anyone  
Years ago

Can anyone give me an update or full time result of the north V eagles women game please??

Reply #363166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North by 3 in overtime

Reply #363168 | Report this post

vodka 22  
Years ago

what has happened to the MAVS /
SABRES womens live stats broadcast. Here one minute dissapeared the next Could it be that Sturt dont want us to see them loose or is it just another magic sabre.

Reply #363172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess that after the mens game the program might have crashed. It is probably an internal glitch where the program itself couldnt believe that onw team could have such a poor efficiency rating for an entire game, so it probably thought someone was just messing around on it and shut itself down.

Reply #363173 | Report this post

vodka 22  
Years ago

Does anyone have a score for the Mavs/Sturt womens game It was certainly on live stats for the first 9 mins of the first qtr.

Reply #363174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs girls by 6

Reply #363179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did North women win. Done nearly 20 at one stage; less overall talent than Eagles. How did Sharon let this slip?

Reply #363180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shoulda played Borrego when it got tight. Oh wait, she's under contract & not allowed to play.

Reply #363181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love the refs at Port Adelaide in the Men's tonight. Giving out techs for next to nothing and then not calling anything when a player walks up and physically chest bumps the ref after a call went against him.

Reply #363183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why all these posts about womens games? who cares?

Reply #363188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe people involved with women's basketball do you ignorant sack of shit!

Reply #363194 | Report this post

Rag  
Years ago

Anon 183
West lOst did they
?

Reply #363200 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Girls final 5 set?

I cant see any change in the finals group 7 rounds in.
North are an absolute contender as are centrals.

Southern are doing a wonderful job with young talent.

Norwood
Forestville
North
Central
Southern

The men are down to 7 teams with Central, Southern and Eastern out of play for 2012.

What do people think?

Reply #363201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i see norwood men pulled their finger out this week for a good win!?

Reply #363202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First game for Matty Lycett at Norwood??

Reply #363204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw he played there too. Big surprise he is back from college so soon and then not to be at North. Seems club loyalty is fast disappearing!

Reply #363208 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I heard Pero didn't want him, so he went to norwood who did want him.

Reply #363211 | Report this post

Club loyalty? Watch your fingers on that double-edged sword Anon.

Reply #363225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD

You obviously don't know the full story. Was more than welcome back at North

Reply #363227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the full story?

Reply #363228 | Report this post

europa31  
Years ago

The full story is that he wanted to play for Norwood, not North. As for his reasons, you'd have to ask him. Simple as that.

Reply #363234 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Many times I often seen AFLers playing in SANFL Finals , after having their names on the SANFL Team's list 3 times to qualify . Not so much these days , as the AFL team keeps them more for their own control , after a long season .

Weigh looks to still have a little bitta foot trouble
out there , and might be best he just goes around with Crosswell rather than play ABL .

Seems Herrick is a WNBL and Borrego isn't , but that may change.

Reply #363515 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754