Anonymous
Years ago

36ers next move?

After a good start to the offseason for the 36ers in retaining DJ and Creek and signing Schenscher and Cadee, what do people think the 36ers should do next?

Without double checking i read on another post that we have around 34 points for 4 spots, meaning we can get around 4 players on 8 points or say 3 players worth 10 points (including 2 imports) and a 4 point Aussie, which is the way i'd go.

I think our next move should be either.

Load up the bulk of the remaining $$$ and sign the best Aussie or import SG (or versatile SG/SF) available, preferably with NBL experience, target Newley, Barlow, Donta Smith, Ebi Ere.

OR

Sign Ubaka on say less than 50k (Tigers would still be paying him wouldnt they), or offer that spot to a NZBL/SEABL import ala Josh Pace, this would give us a SG who can help out Cadee at the PG if needed, then load up the remaining money on the best player (Aussie or import) we can get. Position wouldnt be overly critical, as we can mix and match rotations with the players we have signed being fairly versatile, so just go after the best player and make it work. If we did land a top Aussie in this spot it would allow us to sign another cheap import aswell which would be a huge bonus if possible. Could potentially leading to the 36ers completing the roster with a top Aussie, 2 cheap imports and Darren Ng. Sounds good to me.

What would your next move be if you were the 36ers?

Topic #28328 | Report this topic

YOur jumping the gun big time
36ers have said in the media they havn't even started thinking about imports and they also said

"if we have to" we will look for an oversees player

This tells me they have paid good money for the players they have signed up so far and I wouldn't be expecting they will be able to afford imports unless they are SEABL type

Reply #362779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would be your next move then?

I think you could basically say Schenscher, Cadee, and resigning DJ and Creek would have basically cost the 36ers Ballingers salary last year and half a import salary.

Meaning we should still have the money for 1 decent import, 1 cheap import and Helliwell and Ngs spot, i'd retain Ng and replace Helliwell with a cheap big for basically the same money.

Lets just say 1 and half import spots is around 200k for which you need 2 players, so you could load up one say 150-170k on a stud and sign another cheap player for 30-50k (30k being min salary i think), thats the way id go.

I could be wrong with my salary (all guess work, i have no inside info) but if all is within the cap (1 mil) and we dont have around this much left we have overpaid for a player or 2 imo.

Reply #362780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Raheim Brown is a citizen soon? He lives locally now and has good international experience. Maybe an option for the right price to add depth to the bench.

Reply #362782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea if he will play cheap(ish), definatly be a good 3rd big option, definatly trial him first though, and would allow us to still add another good (more expensive) import or Aussie in the SG spot.

Does Brown play ABL or anything?

Reply #362784 | Report this post

Hooping  
Years ago

Go get Mildura import PG Kris Clark (Cheap) can play and super quick - stand out college player would be very good on a good team , would lead the league in assists as only one ball to go around and the 6rs would have the scoring power

Reply #362787 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brown wanted to be paid to train with the team. Not going to make much progress with that attitude.

I'd say '780 is on track. Good import SG, cheap import elsewhere, then someone like Ng and another back-up.

Reply #362789 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Or an awesome 3 and cheap everything else..

Reply #362791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ineedmore You seem to no who they are targeting?

Reply #362796 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Just saying it could be an option.

Reply #362798 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ineedmore is just hating on Weigh!

Reply #362804 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I think you could basically say Schenscher, Cadee, and resigning DJ and Creek would have basically cost the 36ers Ballingers salary last year and half a import salary."

Schenscher, Cadee, DJ, and Creek would amount to alot more than that!!

Schenscher, Cadee, DJ and Creek = approx $460k at the very least (assuming Schen is 150k+, DJ is 150k+, Creek is 80k and Cadee is 70k)

Reply #362814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Close 60k out!!

Reply #362815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB, i agree with those salary guestimates, add in say 100k for Weigh and 60k for Crosswell, means we have spend 620k, anon above says 60k out so lets call it 680k

Which means we have 320k for the last 4 spots, So we could spend say 150k on a star import SG, 80k on a 2nd import (?PF/SF), 45k each to Ng and a back up Big.

Looks possible and good to me, could squeeze Ng and the back up big down to min (30k) if we want to spend more on the imports.

I wouldnt mind trying Ubaka for a min/low salary spot and getting the best Aussie (?Big) we can for 80k, and still sign Ng and a star import for 150k. Ubaka would be a bargain for that salary if we can get him, and gives us great flexibility with our final signings.

Reply #362826 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Now will the real 36ers payroll officer step up and tell it exactly as it is. So many random figures flying around everywhere. Who really knows how much has been spent and how much is left? Who really knows whether the 36ers are planning on spending the full cap amount? I wouldn't even like to guess.

Reply #362913 | Report this post

Luke would be close to 200k

Reply #362944 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Another insightful EC post. Not sure why you bother reading this forum - just wait for the club to issue a press release!

There is a salary and points cap - it's not that difficult to make an educated guess as to how much of each has been spent on each player already signed. Especially the points cap!!!!

Reply #362948 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Hey Isaac, rough call. I'm not hating on Weigh - or any player for that matter.

Reply #362955 | Report this post

boy blue  
Years ago

so daly is gone - this will come back to hurt - while not a brett maher yeah guarantee in years to come he be tom daly the one the sixers let go

Cadee and we got daly in back yard - lost this on me

Reply #362957 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

rumors from inside Luke 200,DJ140, Mitch 100,Weigh 100,Crossy 80, not much room for imports when you include Cadee , lets wait and see

Reply #362958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on EC, we are not claiming to know what these players are earning, i personally dont want to know, its none of my business, they are just guestimates of what we think they are worth under the salary cap, which gives us some idea of what money should/could be left to complete the roster, in a somewhat realistic fassion.

I think most people would agree that the guestimates made in this post would be fairly reasonable, if the actual pay is less then we have a bargain, if its too much more we have probably over paid for the player.

The only reason i do it is to see if we potentially have the cap space to add the players we would like to see added, without being too unrealistic, we could be way out, but i reckon we would be reasonably close judging from past seasons, and guestimates made and how the roster was completed.

Reply #362961 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont know, by those figures there is still $250-300k for a 9th and 10th man and two rotation players, probably imports. That gives you enough for one good import and a role player, or one good import along with Ubaka (assuming Tigers are still paying him).

Reply #362963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon : better value than 180k for not even half a season.

Reply #362964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Anon thats not even close, you are making shit up!

Reply #362965 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

anon bet you l am right 100%

Reply #362973 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon v Anon - not at all confusing.

At least in Spy v Spy they were different colours!

Reply #362989 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Back on track, eh?

No crazy calculations needed: two imports and two back-ups. One import a definite starter, the other may or may not depending on how they go - e.g., may press Weigh for minutes. Doubt they'll rush to pick up the main import so have some patience there.

Saw a Hawks article saying that they were putting the question to Gary Ervin again, plus also had talked to Chris Warren.

Reply #362996 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

No offence to Crosswell but $80k??? It seemed he wasn't of high demand and we would have got him cheap.
Why not target a good SG who can score and then grab a cheap import from the SEABL like CJ Massingale who wouldn't cost us much money at all but is a solid contributor off the bench.

Reply #363000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ ANON This is the Anon i was refering to

rumors from inside Luke 200,DJ140, Mitch 100,Weigh 100,Crossy 80, not much room for imports when you include Cadee , lets wait and see

Not even close!!

Reply #363004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Raheim Brown shooting around with Mitch Creek. I also heard that it wasn't that he wanted to be paid to train, just that he was worried his insurance wouldnt cover him if he were injured. Either way for the right price, as a local, would be a great depth player!!

Reply #363060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he naturalised or close to it? could be worth signing him even as a cheap import if they think he is the right fit and really he just needs to be a 6th man level who can play decent defense and rebound, they dont need a star in the back up big spot imo. If he naturalised after say 1 season that would be even better.

Pretty decent college numbers averaged around 16pts, 8rbds, 1 assist, 2 blks, 1 stl in his final year, also around 14pts 7 rebounds in NZ last year which also isnt too bad.

He should have a run with a SEABL/ABL team or something to really show his wears, but being local and being able to train with the team right now would have to be an advantage also.

Reply #363074 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

I can't being to describe how funny I find this thread.

Reply #363093 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Schenscher is expecting to start with Johnson PF, Cadee PG , and an Import SG . - He mentioned .

Reply #363524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw that too Camel he like a few of us said the imports will probably be a SG and a back up PF.

Reply #363527 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Yeah
heard that also,
and
saw that on the AdelaideNow website too.

Starters already signed
Cadee, Weigh, Johnson, Schensher,

Imports now to be found
Shooting Big Guard and versatile backup Power Forward.

Reply #363552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754