Isaac
Years ago

Ballinger signs with Tigers

36ers have confirmed he is leaving the club.

Thanks for your service and the highlights, Balls. Had some big games here.

Can anyone remember which game it was he lit it up and topped it all with a three at the Apollo end, further out from the arc than normal?

Also, liked that finish where he hit the big bucket and was running backwards, only to fall over, and a teammate slipped on his sweat afterwards? That one was year before last maybe?

AdelaideNow:

Adelaide 36ers chief executive Leeanne Grantham said she had been in negotiations with his agent and had let Ballinger know the 36ers were keen to retain his services.

"We know that Adam had a hard decision to make and of course we are extremely disappointed to see him leave," Grantham said.
End of an era of sorts?

Topic #28331 | Report this topic

ineedmore  
Years ago

That was quick.

Reply #362838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has he actually signed with the Tigers yet?

Reply #362840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'840, doubt it's ratified but people are calling it. As of a couple of hours ago, the NBL were saying they didn't have the documentation, but Anstey had said the announcement of four players was very close. AdelaideNow's headline is "Sixers lose Ballinger to Tigers" and their opening line:

Adelaide 36ers captain Adam Ballinger has quit the club and will play for the Melbourne Tigers after five seasons in South Australia.

Reply #362843 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Former club captain and multiple times club MVP. Was also close to league MVP on several occasions. He certainly deserves the respect of the crowd when he returns to the Brett Maher court in opposition colours. I wish him luck.

Strangely for one of the best players to pull on a Sixers jersey in the last decade, I can't muster too much regret that he has parted ways with the Sixers. Maybe that it because he has spent so little time on court for the last two seasons and the writing has been on the wall for so long.

Reply #362846 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The league haven't officially signed off on it yet, but it's a done deal.

Reply #362847 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

A Sad Loss,one of the best imports to play in australia with sixers until ankle injury interrupted his season,would have been nice to see Luke and Balls tandem again but i feel balls wont be same player as before he got injured,he might get 20mins with tigers.

This issue reminds me of my mate Mark Davis,once he got that horrific shoulder injury he wasnt able to perform well after that.

I will cheer him on when the Tigers play at Arena

All the best balls,show Marty and Co that you can produce good numbers next season.

Reply #362850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish Ballinger all the best with his recovery from injury, his time at the Tigers and I thank him for his efforts in Adelaide. As a longtime sixers fan I have to admit I was much more sad when Brett Maher retired.There is no doubting Balls is a great player, and had a few seasons where he was a premier player in the NBL, but the results don't lie. Obviously coaches, other players and management are all responsible for on court success, but maybe Balls leaving is a chance to start over and for the club to strive for playoff success. Because it just wasn't happening before.

Reply #362853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Changing of the guard. Time for someone else to step up and lead now.

To be honest, I dont think Balls will be the player he was and I think Adelaide did the right thing by offering him a reduced contract.

Tigers are desperate in my opinion but good luck to Balls, I hope everything goes well for him.

Does this mean we will go for 2 imports now?

Reply #362855 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Thanks for 5 great years Balls. You will be missed by many.

All the best!

My favourite Ballinger moment.

Reply #362859 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skip, that's the one - Shannon slipped in Ballinger's sweat.

'855, depends what they paid. If they got him at a good price with some injury clauses and he gets back to even close to his past level, he will be pretty handy. Change of scenery could well get his confidence back.

Reply #362867 | Report this post

hierachy81  
Years ago

That is good news all around.
Balls moves back to Melbourne, and we have more room to move with salary cap and player ranking points.

I dont like seeing players go, but then when Bruce left everyone was tickle pink, so I am more than that for ballinger. Both good players but time says, time up.

Good luck

Reply #362872 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Adam was one player who took a huge pay cut to help the 6ers out when in dire trouble, and who showed how to be loyal. Other players in that same time left so fast just to chase more money. No need to name names we all know who you are don't we. Some players should look up the word loyal because you will find the word Ballinger next to it. Adam you and your family have been refreshing at games l can still see your kids and nieces dressed up in Ballinger 54 t-shirts. Also how one young lad who had never played the game found his love for the game and his idol at one game. All the best . will be following you at your next club.

Reply #362878 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Sad to see him go but as mentioned above we all knew this was going to happen so its a soft let down. Actually the long goodbye is good as he leave with very little resentment from people. Hopefully this works out for all parties.

Reply #362880 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Congratulations on your new contract and thankyou for your service to the club Balls.

anon I don't think you can sprout 'loyalty' when he was offered a contract and decided to decline it. Call it what it is, a professional decision that many have made before him.

Reply #362881 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Read what l wrote. l said that he took a huge pay cut when others opted for more money, thats being loyal. By the way a news paper round is not a contract.

Reply #362884 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Will miss him, leaves us a gaping hole to fill. Currently no back up bigs and guys of his calibre don't grow on trees.

More on the move on today's blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/05/no-more-balls.html

Reply #362886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon who eve told you he took a pay cut has no idea

Reply #362887 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Very sad to see him go, but I wish him well in his next chapter. Brilliant service for us over the years. Cheers Balls

Reply #362888 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Good luck to Adam. Would like to have seen a few more great moments from him in the last 5 years considering the salary he has been on, but he provided good service all round while he was healthy. I think his best years as a basketballer are behind him.

Reply #362899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets hope his serious ankle injury is healed.
I assume that if the 6érs were going to re hire him it was Ok. I suspect that if he goes down again on it, it may his last game. great player for the Sixers and it shows that coaches like Mark Wright? we so wrong.

Reply #362903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic news for both parties! Rare when that happens

Reply #362916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club waited to sign those players before going to Ballinger with a considerably lower offer, giving the four-time club MVP little option but to look elsewhere.

The 32-year-old is expected to put pen to paper on a contract with the Melbourne Tigers within days.

"We're disappointed to be leaving but happy to have options," Ballinger said.

"Only recently did they let me know they wanted me to stay, but it was quite a different deal than a few other teams were offering.

"I've still got a lot to offer, I can play for quite a bit longer; so it was good to see some other teams also felt that.

"Ideally, we would've liked to have stayed here; but when the dust settles, I think everything will work out for the best."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/captain-a-casualty-as-36ers-revamp-roster/story-e6frect3-1226359371850

Reply #362918 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

anon 887 don;t tell me l have no idea l was there so get your facts right . so get your facts right

Reply #362929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting use of the word "us" in the paper today by balls. And that people is the problem

Reply #362938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Gravey Train is out of service, please take a Tram!!

Reply #362953 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

He wasn't enamoured with the Sixers at the end. A reflection of his (good) personality that he didn't come out and say it.

Reply #362954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

two way street there ineedmore if you dont do what is asked of you it isnt like your popularity will increase

Reply #362956 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hey you lost a good player and have finished up with 2 dud coaches just the way the club wanted.

Reply #362959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

didn't you learn from that guy on Facebook?

Reply #362962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ ineedmore,He was pissed off because the medical staff could not believe what he was doing about his rehab and they told him so. Listening to the wrong person.

Reply #362970 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

anon he did what was asked of him so don't make false claims about shit you don't fucking know .it could be messy

Reply #362972 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

You almost feel sorry for him though having to resort to going to play for Melbourne!
Surely if the money was only a little less you would consider going somewhere else???!!!

Reply #362978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bianca, swearing at fans again?

Reply #362981 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please don't antagonise each other and kill the main thread we'll have about a club MVP leaving Adelaide. It does him a disservice.

Would've been nice to discuss the highlights, thank him and wish Balls the best. I'm sure he'll be applauded by all any time he returns.

Reply #362988 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

The reality is that a business decision has been made. The 36ers have considered what a 32 year old player, still recovering from a serious injury, can contribute to the future of the team. They have put a $$ value on it and offered a contract to the player accordingly. Yes, Ballinger is a professional Basketball player who relies on his playing ability for his income. He considered the offer and others, and made his decision on his playing future.

What the 36ers have done is no different to Adelaide United and Adelaide Crows in dealing with veteran players. Yes some Club favourites do seem to get pushed out but ultimately it is also up to the players to recognise that their contribution to the team and their ability to achieve it, changes with age and the ability to recover from injury. There is no guarantee that Ballinger will reach his former standard, either with Adelaide or Melbourne. Time will tell who made the right decision - the club who decided on their perceived value or the player by changing clubs for a better offer.

Good luck to both.

Reply #362994 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

its not bianca but it is some one who will rip you anew arsehole gladly .

Reply #363003 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Thanks for the years of service Balls. Cappo and club MVP.
Wish we could have seen you more in the last couple of seasons.

Personally I think it may be win/win, Ballinger goes and gets his groove back somewhere not lost to the NBL, and the 36ers hopefully spend the money/caps VERY wisely.

Reply #363042 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Reply #363370 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's with the crap logo?

Reply #363371 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Adam is a big whose skill set is more about face up triple threat rather than back to the basket post stuff.

Always seemed more comfortable in Phil Symth's system, and seemingly more suited to the traditional Tigers Drake shuffle offence, but why the Tigers? Can only think it must be a good offer.

name change now required for me, i might just have to be Ballin Fan.

Reply #363394 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:35 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754