Mick
Years ago

Gill & Mims not returning for Crocs?

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2012/may/woolpert-looks-to-the-land-of-opportunity-1/

Woolpert is looking for a mobile big man and a big combo guard.

Topic #28336 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Mims 100% not returning, Gill is very unlikely.

Reply #362951 | Report this post

KR  
Years ago

Works for me! Gill was good if not spectacular, and with the Chris Cedar and Norton both small Point guards and the future of the club, a big combo guard makes sense to me.
The crocs also have ok size in Hinder 6' 10 and allen 6' 11, but really need an agressive, athlethic low post big.
At least with Schensher gone and essentially replaced by Hinder they should have plenty of dollars to get quality imports.

Reply #363010 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Finding a big, athletic guy standing 6'10" who can also rebound and play defense, as Woolpert has requested, is not going to be easy. Most guys who fit that bill are in the NBA or Europe and won't take the paycut. Hopefully Woolpert finds what he's looking for, and hopefully he has enough contacts and experience to unearth a gem.

At present, out of our three big men (Hinder, Allen, Holmes), not one of them can score in the paint, and none are really that great on the defensive end either, so its pretty important to get a complete player here. Not gonna be easy, but here's hoping we find the second coming of Clarence Tyson or similar...

Reply #363013 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Prob a 6'8-6'9 power player is more likely. There arent even many good imports bigger than that in Europe. The NBA is pretty short on good big guys with 30 teams, so any big who can play gets plenty of opportunities.

Reply #363031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The days of NBL teams being able to afford big strong PF's like Reggie Smith are long gone. The Crocs might have to console themselves with a Casey Calvary type.

Reply #363040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Werent ever too many Reggie Smith's in the league!

Reply #363044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Davis, Andre Moore, Bruce Bolden, Dave Simmons, Ricky Jones, Clarence Tyson, Larry Abney, James Crawford, Chris Burgess, Melvin Thomas, Ray Owes, David Van Dyke, Ken McClary etc.

Reply #363052 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Larry Abney, though a great rebounder, was a poor defender and very limited offensively. One of those guys that seems great until he's on your team and you get to study him every week.

I wasn't sad to see him leave Townsville and wouldn't want him back.

Reply #363054 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty much all the guys anon mentioned were 6'6 to 6'8. Back then that seemed tall I suppose, but we have never had many genuine big Americans by the standards of this millenium where your average NBL centre is 6-10-6'11.

Reply #363059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of them were 6-8 to 6-10 actually and we were talking about big strong PF's not 'average NBL centres' but thanks for playing.

Reply #363061 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Surprised that Eddie Gill is unlikely to return. I thought he was a solid floor general.
I wouldn't have been disappointed if Adelaide had of chased him at seasons end. Townsville could do alot worse than "The Thrill".

Reply #363064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea the 6'10 imports tend to be the Horvath type, pretty good low post scorer, and an ok rebounder but not exactly a versatile, overly mobile big, but you could use a guy like him in the Schenscher type role imo.

Reply #363069 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Anyone else think Gill would fit in very well at the Kings?

Reply #363071 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Also, Oliver Miller would have been a perfect fit 4-5 years ago. I would have loved to see that guy play.

Reply #363072 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's right anon two above, we do get a lot more of the Van Dyke, Horvath, Rickert, Mundt, Fuller types than Reggie Smith or Acie Earl. The NBL has never been able to consistently attract powerful bigs.

We used to get a lot of the 6'6 to 6'8 (198-204) guys the other anon was talking about, but as the league got more mobile through the early 2000s teams stopped recruiting that type of interior PF, although Simpson and Grant were nice throw backs this year.

I am looking forward to seeing what Woolpert comes up with.

Reply #363075 | Report this post

KR  
Years ago

Woolpert gets a pass mark for the recruiting of Gill and Mims in his first year, which is better than many coaches have produced recruiting imports in the past. So here's hoping with a bit more time and money he can use his extensive nba contacts to recruit a couple of standouts.

They have a solid team bringing 8 players back, but definately need some size, versatility, athletisism and scoring punch.

Reply #363080 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Mims was really looking good in the preseason/early season as a good mid range scorer out to 20 feet, but he just couldn't knock down the shot consistently after the first few rounds.

Reply #363082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id like to see him get Grant

Reply #363083 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Spursfan: while his three point range disappeared after the first few rounds, looking at his FG% and watching the games, Mims' mid-range game was great all season long, IMO. I just wish he would have used his athleticism and freakish arms to score at the rack a bit more.

Reply #363110 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Here's a tip Paul..Recruit people without seniors cards this time hey!!

Reply #363116 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mims was too happy to defer to others I think, and prob didnt always crash the o-boards as hard as his athleticism warranted. Could have had a DT like impact there.

Very good defender though and very versatile, would be a good pick-up for a team that spends most of its cap on locals and needs a role playing import (Gold Coast or Adelaide?).

Reply #363124 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

@Mick, I didn't see every game the Crocs played, but almost every TV game, he didn't have his shot going. Btw, a Gill and Mims pick and roll would have been lethal for the Crocs, especially when Mims was playing the four spot.

Reply #363171 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I would have been content enough to have them both back to keep some continuity going. They would both have had a year in the league to figure out the officiating and game style. However, with the resigning of both Allen and Hinder, neither of whom can start, we have no choice but to go for a starting C in one of the import slots.

Another issue: there is only one SF on this roster (Blanchfield). And we don't have any guards that can slide up to the 3 (all far too small / not athletic enough), nor any bigs that can slide down to the 3.

Not sure what the plan is here...

Reply #363191 | Report this post

KR  
Years ago

Mick PC has played sf a bit, not so much last year but the year before the crocs started Michael Cedar at the 2 and pc at 3. Granted at 6' 3" pc is a bit small to play there, but I guess that is why they are looking for a bigger combo guard import, so when pc moves to the 3 they can run a bigger shooting guard.
Certainly not a perfect roster of starter and backup in each position, but I'm sure Woolpert will work out the right rotations.

Reply #363216 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Hopefully Blanchfield takes a big step forward, grabs that starting role with both hands and finally figures out that he can dunk on pretty much anyone, if only he attacks the rim.

Reply #363223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754